FORUMS: list search recent posts

"No Image" when trying to import clips using XD cam transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Weinstein
"No Image" when trying to import clips using XD cam transfer
on Jan 26, 2008 at 12:00:10 am

Hi!
I got the EX1 a few days ago and I am trying to get my first clips into Final Cut Pro using a Mac. I've downloaded XDcam Transfer, and the Clip Browsing software and everything else. But everytime I connect my camera to my computer using the USB, XD cam Transfer opens and "sees" both of my cards and even sees the clips (and displays the lengths and info. for each clip) BUT it says "No image" when I try to view the clips. So each clip says "No Image".

I read a thread from earlier this month where I think this problem was discussed, but it hasn't helped.

Is this an I.Link problem? In my camera's "Other" menu, the option to enable or disable I.Link is grayed out, so if you think that's the problem, please let me know how to access that menu.

-2 other issues that could be related:
1) I installed the Clip Browser software onto both my Mac desktop and laptop successfully, but when I try to open Clip Browser, it says it's "not supported on this system". Could not being able to open Clip Browser have to do with not being able to see the clips in XD cam transfer?

2) When I open the actual 8GB memory card where my clips are stored and open the BPAV file and get down to where the MP4 clips are, when I click on them, they say the movie contains "invalid data". What?
Could that be the problem? If so, I have no idea how I could correct that since I don't think I'm doing anything wrong when I actually shoot with the camera.

I'm sure this can be solved easily, but I'm so new to this system that I'm totally lost.
Thank you very much for any help you can provide...
Sarah Weinstein

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: "No Image" when trying to import clips using XD cam transfer
on Jan 26, 2008 at 2:53:17 am

Sarah
You need an Intel Mac to run the XD Cam Transfer software for use in Final Cut. You can't transfer these files any other way.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2008 at 4:14:54 pm

Sony Transfer Tool works on G5 just fine.
The Clip Browser requires Intel.

I'm using Sony Transfer Tool and FCP 6.0.2 on G5 and they work FINE.

[Michael Palmer] "Sarah
You need an Intel Mac to run the XD Cam Transfer software for use in Final Cut. You can't transfer these files any other way.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer "

Return to posts index

Sean Fawcett
on Jun 27, 2008 at 3:08:05 am

I also do not have an Intel Mac. When I looked for "Sony Transfer Tool" I only got links to the XDCAM Transfer Software, which doesn't work on non Intel Macs. Do you know of any links to download the Sony Transfer Tool or is there a more precise name of the software? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 27, 2008 at 12:30:54 pm

XDCAM Transfer tool DOES WORK ON NON INTEL MACS. I have it running on G5 Mac.

Only Clip Browser doesn't run on PPC Macs

XDCAM Transfer tool 2.7x

Return to posts index

David Choate
on Mar 6, 2011 at 5:21:27 pm

I just downloaded XDCAM Transfer on my PowerPC G5 processor and it says I need to upgrade to Final Cut Pro 6.0.3 to be able to use XDCAM HD Codecs, XDCAM EX Codecs, XDCAM EX Codecs and XDCAM HD422 Codecs. I'm currently using FCP 5.0 but I'm about to purchase a used version of FCP 6.0. My question is: How does the application know what version of Final Cut Pro I have installed in my computer and will it work when I install the 6.0 version?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 6, 2011 at 6:34:13 pm

FCP 6.0.3 and up installs the XDCAM EX Codec.
Performance will be sluggish on PPC G5.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 6, 2011 at 7:22:19 pm

[David Choate] "My question is: How does the application know what version of Final Cut Pro I have installed in my computer and will it work when I install the 6.0 version?"

It doesn't, but Quicktime does. The minimum version of QT Pro needed to run the XDCAM EX codecs is v.7.3.1. The minimum Final Cut Pro version is actually v.6.0.2 and you need Mac OS v.10.4.11 or better in order for it to all happen. Remember that the EX codecs reside with FCP only. When you upgrade to v.6.0.2 or better every piece of software that needs to know about those codecs will know.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 26, 2008 at 3:01:59 am

[Sarah Weinstein] "n my camera's "Other" menu, the option to enable or disable I.Link is grayed out, so if you think that's the problem, please let me know how to access that menu."

Sony Transfer Tool doesn't use the iLINK port to transfer the clips. It uses USB only. So hook your camera up to your computer using the supplied USB cable and transfer your clips that way.

The iLINK port will be grayed out because you have to have something like an HDV deck or a Firestore drive to transfer to. The iLINK port is only to transfer HDV files, since the EX1 will record in that mode as well as the higher quality XDCAM.

[Sarah Weinstein] "but when I try to open Clip Browser, it says it's "not supported on this system"."

You didn't provide any info about your system(s) but in order for everything to work you need FCP v.6.0.2 and Quicktime v.7.3 otherwise the XDCAM EX codec won't be available for you to view or edit your clips within FCP. In addition, Sony's clip browser only works on Intel Macs with a minimum of an Intel core 2 duo chipset. On the other hand, Sony's Transfer Tool will work on both Intel and Power PC Macs.

Post back after you've tried transferring your clips using the above recommendations and are still having issues.

- Don

Return to posts index

Sarah Weinstein
on Jan 26, 2008 at 6:37:58 am

Hi!
Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply. I've got a PowerPC Mac and a Powerbook G4 and FCP Studio (version 5) So it looks like from what you're saying that I need to upgrade to FCP 6 and the latest Quicktime version. I'll try it and see what happens.
Thanks again!
Sarah

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 26, 2008 at 7:38:13 am

[Sarah Weinstein] "So it looks like from what you're saying that I need to upgrade to FCP 6 and the latest Quicktime version."

After you've purchased FCS2 and installed it make sure you run Software Update from the System Preferences icon in the Dock to make sure you end up with FCP 6.0.2. You also need to have at least OS 10.4.11 installed on your computer as well.

NOTE: Even though the latest QT version is 7.4 I would highly recommend you DON'T install this latest version, as there are major issues with this version and the pro apps at this time. Upgrade your QT program to 7.3 only.

Then from the CD that came with your XDCAM EX install the Sony Transfer Software and SxS Pro Card driver software. Don't worry about the Clip Browser Software because you won't be able to use it on your PowerPC Mac anyway.

Then you'll be good to go.

- Don

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jan 26, 2008 at 3:38:08 pm

Don,

I'm really confused on this issue about what works and what doesn't on a non-Intel Mac. I have a Power Book that I would like to be able to use with my EX, but I thought that you need the clip-browser software in order to do the .mov conversion that is required for FCP. Is it possible to transfer & edit EX files in a G4 Powerbook?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jan 26, 2008 at 3:53:12 pm

Don
I didn't get the XD Cam Transfer software on my disk, did you?
Here is the link to where I downloaded it and perhaps Sarah will need this too.

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=PMW-EX1&site=biz_...

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2008 at 4:22:05 pm

You do NOT need an Intel Mac to use the Sony Transfer Tool.
You WILL need SxS driver which works on both Intel and G5.

Sony Transfer Tool is NOT on the CD. It is nearly impossible to find on the USA Sony site and I've complained to them about this.

Link to USA site. You'll need version 2.1 which is 2nd from top. Talk about POOR web design!

Link to UK site Much easier to figure out! Downloads on the lower right.

Sony Clip Browser is Intel ONLY.
On Mac, Clip Browser is only for viewing and copying files from card.
It does not require FCP 6.0.2

Sony Transfer Tool runs on my G5 just fine.
Sony Transfer Tool allows one to view files (with codec installed if you have 6.0.2) and rewraps the .mp4 to .mov (for use in FCP 6.0.2 or viewing in QuickTime).
Sony Transfer Tool can be used as a Stand Alone App or as plugin in FCP 6.0.2.
I suspect Sony Transfer Tool will work without FCP 6.0.2 (XDCAM EX codec) installed but that might limit you to rewrapping without clip viewing.

XDCAM codec at 35mbps VBR is a bit more demanding than HDV 25mbps CBR but any computer that can handle HDV can probably handle XDCAM. My aging Dual 2.3GHz G5 can edit XDCAM without issue (cuts and dissolves) so your iMac should certainly handle it.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 26, 2008 at 6:39:22 pm

Now I remember that I'd downloaded the Sony Transfer Tool before my EX1 had showed up. I guess I never actually looked on the Sony CD to see if it was there but just assumed it was. My mistake. I'll give myself ten lashes for that. Now I'm wondering why Sony wouldn't include such an integral piece of software with their camera.

The Sony Clip Browser software works fine on my Macbook Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo) and the EX files can be viewed natively within the program as along as your have the driver software installed so the computer can see the card in the Express slot.

I only have FCP 5.1.4 on this machine so the EX clips are not viewable using the Transfer Tool.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2008 at 10:16:49 pm

[Don Greening] "Now I remember that I'd downloaded the Sony Transfer Tool before my EX1 had showed up. I guess I never actually looked on the Sony CD to see if it was there but just assumed it was. My mistake. I'll give myself ten lashes for that. Now I'm wondering why Sony wouldn't include such an integral piece of software with their camera. "

Give Sony 100 lashes then. Bad enough it's not on the CD. Worse is that it's nearly impossible to find on their USA website. BTW, especially for you Don, the ony Canada Site Doesn't even have the EX1 listed let alone the software!

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jan 27, 2008 at 12:14:58 am

Craig ,
My bad on the Intel needs. Don't know what I was thinking. I guess I tried loading the Clip Browser on my G4 Power Book that didn't work, and was thinking about the XD Cam Transfer program. I was wrong for this statement.

Michael Palmer

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 7, 2008 at 9:05:41 pm

We just got FCP 6.0 yesterday, installed it and no images. Did the 6.2 thing and everything works fine. I've shot 4 jobs up to this point and we've been holding our breath till today.

Life is good.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

Danielle Tinker
on Jul 8, 2008 at 10:26:57 am

Hi Don (or anyone who can help)

I have encountered a unique problem that I have never seen before. Half of my clips are fine, the other half display the hated message of "no image available," Just as Sarah encountered. I have been using the EX for at least a month and haven't had any problems.

I have Quicktime 7.5 (149.5)
Final Cut Pro 6.0.4 with all the codecs
Mac OSX 10.5.4

The clips are long: it was a conference where I continuously recorded and downloaded on the day.

Any thoughts?

Danielle

Return to posts index

olaf steel
on May 26, 2010 at 11:37:35 am

I've had the same thing. I copied the BPAVs to my computer and when I try to view them in XDCAM Transfer, I can't see them all. I get the 'No Image Available' message in a gray window where the video should be.
However I can view the files if I play them in VLC media player.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Olaf

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 26, 2010 at 12:08:28 pm

Put the BPAV folder inside another folder and "Add' this one in the Transfer tool.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

olaf steel
on May 26, 2010 at 4:06:14 pm

Thanks for the help.

I have the BPAVs in another folder. Some of the files will show up in XDCAM Transfer, some of them appear blank. I can see all the info related to teh clip, its duration, size, etc but cant play it.

I have shot 4 films using the EX1 and always used the same method to bring the files into FCP. This is the first time I've had an error, and have no idea how this is happening since nothing has been changed since the last time it worked.

If anyone has any more help, I would be very appreciative.

Olaf

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 26, 2010 at 4:12:05 pm

[olaf steel] "Some of the files will show up in XDCAM Transfer, some of them appear blank. "
You haven't said that before.
that sounds to files corruption (too fast stop/rec?).
The only way to know if the files are valid or not is to use the Clip Browser as I told you before.
If the Clip Browser do not accept the files, but they are playable with VLC, your only option to recover the files, I think, is treasured.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

olaf steel
on May 26, 2010 at 4:14:09 pm

Thanks for your reply Rafael,

What do you mean by "your only option to recover the files, I think, is treasured"?

Is there a way to recover the files?

Olaf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]