FORUMS: list search recent posts

Error "There is no timecode calculator in timecode track builder"

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Palmer
Error "There is no timecode calculator in timecode track builder"
on Jan 24, 2008 at 4:05:44 pm

"There is no timecode calculator in timecode track builder" error using the transfer software
EX Cam Transfer v2.1.0.
I believe the clips with this error were shot 720 24p 48 frames, over cranked.
I need direction to trouble shooting. I can look at them in the Clip Browser.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
WARNING EX1 720 24p issue WARNING
on Jan 25, 2008 at 12:47:49 am

Well I spoke to Sony today and it seems there is someone else with this same issue. It seems 720 24p is the common denominator. I have been asked for some XML files from each BPAV file. Sony will push this up to the software department that wrote the transfer program as well as on to Japan. The only bit of advice was to trash the com.sony.bprl.xdcamtransfer.plist, and that didn't seem to help. Sony also said I could try deleting and reinstalling the XD Cam transfer software. As I said the only common thread here is the HQ 720 24p format, Sony's Ian Cook didn't have anymore answers for me or the other person who has this issue.
The error is "There is no timecode calculator in timecode track builder" when importing the clips into the XD Cam Transfer 2.1 program, the clip then say "No Image Available" and you can't move them into the viewer. I can view the clips in the Clip Browser so I'm hoping this is a software bug. For now I won't be shooting HQ 720 24p anytime soon. I have plenty of files that I'm going to capture using the camera HD-SDI into my Kona LHe the old fashion way.
Michael Palmer

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bernie van Velzen
Re: WARNING EX1 720 24p issue WARNING
on Jan 25, 2008 at 8:45:25 am

Just a while ago I started this thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/856755'>
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/856755

I've talked to Sony a couple of times and they say there's a bug in the EX1's firmware. When using "clock" as timecode it messes the timecode up when writing to the cards. I was using 720/25p. Don't know what your timecode settings were...

My workaround was using a PC. Sony's ClipBrowser for PC can export MXF files. I downloaded a demo of Sony Vegas which can convert the MXF's to Uncompressed Quicktime MOV's.
Not the nicest way to do things, but I got the shots transfered (don't have SDI in).

I turned the setting back to "preset" and keep my fingers crossed...

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jan 26, 2008 at 3:25:42 am

OK
I tried resetting the timecode from Clock to Preset and it worked. This was a one clip test today using the same HQ 720 24p record format on to a 16 gig card that has other clips with the ERROR MESSAGE "There is no timecode calculator in timecode track builder" issue and this test clip came right up in the XD Cam Transfer program.
Thanks Bernie

I decided to set the timecode to Clock after watching the Doug Jensen Vortec Media tutorial "Mastering the PMW-EX1. I never thought this would be an issue and I will do more testing later after I digitize all the X1 footage in real time for the project I'm working on. This sucks.
I hope all EX1 users read this and avoid the Clock timecode setting.

Michael Palmer

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2008 at 3:39:08 pm

After seeing the same video training, I set to clock. I shoot 1080p30 though.

What oddity I'm finding is that the time code reports NDF when it should be DF. When jogging frame by frame you can see it's DF but Quicktime and Final Cut Pro both report it as NDF. I suspect there's a "flag" issue.

I've shot 720p24 and haven't noted the issue you report.

I do think the fact we're getting issues and some people are/aren't seeing them might indicate any of the following:

Software getting scrambled when it loads into the camera on boot.
There are different firmware versions of the camera (change during manufacturing?).

In any case I really do hope Sony has a firmware update ASAP.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jan 26, 2008 at 3:56:55 pm

My EX1 serial # 100999 Not sure what firmware version it is.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2008 at 10:29:42 pm

Michael, I'm hearing others are having the problem. I spotted a what I now think is a related problem while shooting 1080p30 using Clock time. I suspect there are time code flag issues in the meta data.

When using Time of Day (Clock) time the time code should be Drop Frame.
If you jog through a recording in Quicktime (after .mov conversion) you'll see it IS Drop Frame. In Final Cut Pro it will jog as Non Drop Frame. Both Quicktime and Final Cut Pro report it as Non Drop Frame.

Work flow - Sony Transfer Tool 2.1 in Final Cut Pro 6.0.2.

Open the .mov file in QuickTime and use the timer display on the left and pull down. It'll show the time code as Non Drop Frame.

In FCP drop the clip from Browser to Viewer.
Go to upper right time code display and right click.
It'll report the time code as Non Drop Frame.

In Quicktime if you jog through the numbers you'll see it's Drop Frame (:29, :02) even though it reports Non Drop Frame.

In FCP it will jog as Non Drop Frame (:29, :00, :01, :02)

I'm not sure if Windows users are seeing the same but you might want to check. Again time code is Drop Frame as it should be but at least on Mac, the flag that Quicktime and FCP see shows Non Drop Frame.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]