FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX playback on Bluray Disc

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Righton
XDCAM EX playback on Bluray Disc
on Jan 23, 2008 at 5:20:08 pm

Hello,

I have been shooting HDV video of church sermons for distribution to off site locations. I had been conforming the video to HD-DVD and DVD (as backup). The Process has worked but the extra encoding time is limiting. I am interested in the SxS solid state workflow and read you can rename the native EX1 clips, burn them on Bluray and play them back on any Blueray player. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM EX playback on Bluray Disc
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:20:32 pm

I'm getting conflicting info on this myself. If it is more involved than changing the .mp4 to .ts then it might be a good idea for Sony to create a rewrap tool just as ClipBrowser rewraps to .mxf on Windows and SonyTransferTool rewraps to .mov on Mac.

Sony reps have told me that 35mbps VBR falls within Bluray's 40mbps max spec and others say it is more involved than simply renaming the extension but no one has yet explained how one can do the later (and avoid a lengthy Bluray encode with a lossy compression).

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
Re: XDCAM EX playback on Bluray Disc
on Jan 28, 2008 at 6:01:07 pm

I have been able to bring a HDV export (from an HDV capture) to a Final Cut Pro timeline and export it (useing current setting mode / HDV ) into a DVD Studio pro HD-DVD project and burn the disc without an encode. The problem is I can only use DVD-5 discs (No HDDVD-R discs / burners out there) and they only hold about 20 minutes of video. The Blu Ray option would be great, especially since we are upgrading our HDRFX1 / HVRA1U to the EX1.

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]