FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 firewire problems

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bard Gunnerud
EX1 firewire problems
on Jan 22, 2008 at 11:42:50 am

I have just got my new PMW-EX1 and is trying to capture through the iLink HDV, but I can't get the camera to recognize the computer or computer to recognize the camera. The option to activate iLink in the camera menu is disabled and grayed out.

Anyone know if I have to upgrade the FireWire driver to work with iLink HDV. (I'm just using a regular FireWire port that came with the computer.)

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 firewire problems
on Jan 22, 2008 at 1:04:29 pm

You're not giving enough info for anyone to help you.
Computer is?
OS is?
Capturing how and with what version software?
What codec did you shoot with?

Return to posts index

Bernie van Velzen
on Jan 22, 2008 at 1:41:03 pm

My camera came with a user manual ;-)

Firewire out only works with supported video formats for HDV, so 1080/50i, 1080/60i and 1080/24p.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Job van Nuenen
on Jan 22, 2008 at 2:35:35 pm

...And don't forget the bitrate has to be 25Mps (SQ)...

Any other setting won't output through iLink. But why would you want to do that, while you can output faster than realtime using USB, and the simply select and import the takes you like using XDcam transfer..

I'm still not sure why anyone would want to use the fw output, unless you've got a shipload of HDV hardware/equipment you want to keep using. In an HD multicam setup with low-cost mixer e.g. I don't see myself editing "card to tape" in HDV though...

Media100/after-effects/Combustion/FCP/Flint/Flame/Inferno..
Thank heavens; there's a sign of progress here..

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 22, 2008 at 2:45:13 pm

The only reasons I can see shooting 25mbps CBR is if you're shooting a talking head seminar and such. You know nothing is going to break the codec and you'd like the longer record times on the cards. Even then you're using the SxS cards and their faster than real time transfer speeds.

I can see using firewire if you're in the above situation and really prefer to use FireStore or DR-60 hard drive for recording . . . or maybe live capture during such event.

Return to posts index

Yves Chauvel
on Jan 23, 2008 at 7:20:10 am

I used the EX1 last week during a training seminar with FCP 6.0.2 and the latest version of XDCAM transfert from Sony (2.0 or something).

Works just fine with USB connection.
Simply do not use Firewire!

Hope this may help...

Yves Chauvel

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 24, 2008 at 4:52:22 am

[Yves Chauvel] "I used the EX1 last week during a training seminar with FCP 6.0.2 and the latest version of XDCAM transfert from Sony (2.0 or something). "

Did you do a live recording straight from the camera to the computer?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Yves Chauvel
on Jan 24, 2008 at 7:22:40 am

"Did you do a live recording straight from the camera to the computer?"

We tranfered MXF files stored (previously recorded 3 weeks ago) on the SXS cards to the Mac.
We did the same thing three weeks ago with 6 DPs using two budget handheld HD cameras: The Sony XDCAM EX1 and the "old" Pana HVX200 P2 with different gammas and adjustments.

All 6 of them favored the Sony EX1 for 3 main reasons:
- Low light capabilities (at least a 2 stop difference compared to the Panasonic HVX2OO
- Much, much more controls and setting. Much more precise.
- Rotating handgrip and comfort of use.

We have not shot greenscreen footage. So, no keying in post to compare the XCAM 4:2:0 and DVCPRO 4:2:2 signals.

Yves Chauvel

Return to posts index

Bard Gunnerud
on Jan 24, 2008 at 9:06:40 am

I guess I'm behind, I thought FW was the best option, but then again, we use Adobe Premiere CS3 for price reasons and it always seemed to work well with FW. What do you recomend, capturing straight from the camera with what, or transfer files by USB and then convert the files with what? Premiere does not support the XDCAM EX files directly, the audio is lost, I have to convert the files to some other format it seems. Downloaded a demo of CineForm but it wont convert.

We use Windows.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bard Gunnerud
on Jan 24, 2008 at 8:59:41 am

How do I capture through USB? I use Adobe Premiere CS3 and it doesn't nativly support USB capturing I think, at least it does not show up as an option. Can I use a plug-in or a certain driver to capture with USB?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bard Gunnerud
on Jan 24, 2008 at 9:12:01 am

Thank you for your respond.

We use Adobe Premiere CS3 for cost reasons, so what do you recomend instead of FW with that? From what I can read at Adobe's website Premiere doesn't support the raw files, nor USB capturing, not without some kind of plug-in atleast.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bard Gunnerud
on Jan 24, 2008 at 9:08:10 am

I am capturing at 1080/50i

Return to posts index

Bernie van Velzen
on Jan 24, 2008 at 9:42:53 am

You cannot "capture" through usb. You can only copy the files from the cards. On a Mac you can import them into FCP using XDCAM Transfer from Sony.

Sony's ClipBrowser software for Windows can export to MXF files (the Mac version doesn't). Maybe Premiere eats that?

Return to posts index

Yves Chauvel
on Jan 24, 2008 at 8:09:36 pm

I'm sorry I cant answer your questions about the EX1 and Premiere Pro. A few weeks ago an Adobe Rep told me Premiere was not compatible with XDCAM and could tell me more about future developments.But now, is it compatible? I don't really know.

Yves Chauvel

Return to posts index

Bard Gunnerud
on Jan 25, 2008 at 7:24:10 am

Nah, Premiere will not import MXF format either, so got to find a different solution. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]