FORUMS: list search recent posts

SONY EX1 Vignette is serious?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zhuang mu
SONY EX1 Vignette is serious?
on Jan 21, 2008 at 8:23:13 pm

You may don't care about it, you may use lens adapter to avoid it, but if you care, it is serious. I tested 2 today, S.N. 0101xxxx, both exhibited same vignette(dark corner) problem, most obvious to the left, including my own, 3 had the same problem.

Mine was repaired in CA, then dark corners were evenly distributed to 4 corners(minimized, but still there), and some other users complained the same result.

Sony claimed it was a bug and would be fixed before it was released to public, then in last Dec they claimed the production will be adjusted accordingly, now I still have 3 with the same problem. Good luck with EX1!

Should I should wait for EX2?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SONY EX1 Vignette is serious?
on Jan 22, 2008 at 1:02:15 pm

I don't have vignette issue. All those early models were fixed. I know of only one person on a forum elsewhere who said the fix didn't fix it and he's getting the camera replaced. You should do the same if that's the case. Most everyone is reporting it fixed and gone or nonexistent in the new shipments.

Return to posts index

zhuang mu
on Jan 22, 2008 at 2:25:39 pm

I just tested yesterday, that should be recent products, right (delivered to dealer last Friday)? S.N. is there. What's your S.N.? When did you get it?

Low light, white wall (any plain surface), F wide open, starts from 10 mm, slowly zoom in, and hold it, and check. I spotted it easily on the camera's LCD. Now I am scared to buy any!

I even easily spotted on some fellow's demo over the net, it seemed people don't care. Right, it depends on what your safe zone is. If people tell me it doesn't matter for film out, I don't care either. Sure, you can even try to work it out with Mask effect in post if you take it for granted.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 22, 2008 at 2:39:49 pm

Simply not there on my cam. Dealer's first shipment had it. I tested it. Dealer's 2nd shipment in late December didn't have it so I've had first hand experience testing and seeing it and testing and not seeing it.

I got my camera from Armato's in Queens, NY.

I've seen NO ONE complain about this from the big NYC dealers either.

The model you tested may well have been you're dealers 1st shipment for display which was never fixed.

In any case MANY of us have tested and can report the issue is long gone.

Return to posts index

zhuang mu
on Jan 22, 2008 at 3:32:41 pm

As I said the S.N. I tested was 0101xxx, mine was 0101384, is it old or new compare with yours?

It will be good news if it is gone for good! But I am sure on the DVinfo there various recent (jan 19,20) stories about Vignette. From the testing I can tell that the Imaging system is very unstable, the subtle movement of camera could generate different results, that scared me.

If it is convenient with you, my I have a look at your camera? 5 minuets is all I need. email, zmupicture atgmail dot com.

Return to posts index

zhuang mu
on Jan 22, 2008 at 3:47:38 pm

Hi Craig, may I invite you and your camera to AP (associated press) for 5 minutes tomorrow? It is only one block away from BH, if you need other "toys" there...

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jan 23, 2008 at 12:51:36 pm

[zhuang mu] "Hi Craig, may I invite you and your camera to AP (associated press) for 5 minutes tomorrow?"

Don't do it Craig, it's a trap.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jan 23, 2008 at 12:53:17 pm

[zhuang mu] "Hi Craig, may I invite you and your camera to AP (associated press) for 5 minutes tomorrow?"

Don't do it Craig, it's a trap. It wants The Precious.

Return to posts index

zhuang mu
on Jan 23, 2008 at 1:06:50 pm

Mick, you are so funny!

Return to posts index

Charles Dasher
on Jan 26, 2008 at 1:32:46 am

I have an EX1 that has been back for re alignment and now has a vary evenly spread vignette at full zoom.

Here is a link for a clip on blip.tv

http://blip.tv/file/619918?filename=DasherFilms-EX1TestClip536.mov

The vignette is there at the telephoto end of the zoom. OIS makes it much more noticeable.

I have contacted my dealer and I am waiting to find out what will happen. I

Return to posts index

zhuang mu
on Jan 26, 2008 at 3:34:31 am

Charles, be prepared for the worse case scenario.

If you go to Red forum, you can tell people there often talk about Sony, but they hope Red can give some surprise to Sony! Those are all Sony pro users for many years, they love it because it is Sony! They hate it, because it is Sony!

But Sony is, again, a pioneer (many times, in the history of consumer/broadcast electronics), this time, a 1/2 imager for a potable video camera. But this time, it is not a perfect product, it is a premature product.

Few more defects, most owners' SDI cover will be lost in 48 hours (mine was lost from the repair service journey) if you are not careful enough; the paint on the body's function marks will go from white to black in a speed you never expect, this happened on a dealer's demo EX1, the white color of the choose/set and camera/media buttons almost not recognizable just after a few months. If you are running a rent house, better remember those positions asap, or you have to find a way to explain the functions of those buttons to new users. I am sure there are a lot of more on the users' Upgrade-Wish-list.

If SONY don't want to see everyone holding a potable Red with 1/2 or 2/3 imager on the street, they have to be serious with their products, and change their long time arrogant attitude.

First, they should find some permanent paint for the EX1 body.

Good luck, SONY!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 26, 2008 at 10:05:27 pm

[zhuang mu] "Few more defects, most owners' SDI cover will be lost in 48 hours"
After losing and finding it in the house, I put a piece of black gaffers tape on it.

[zhuang mu] "if you are not careful enough; the paint on the body's function marks will go from white to black in a speed you never expect"
SEL/SET on my jog wheel is about gone on mine.

Neither of these a deal breakers but the SDI cap really needs to be rethought. One doesn't want to run into a situation where the metal connector gets bent.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]