FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upper Control Panel not working

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PF BENTLEY
Upper Control Panel not working
on Jan 16, 2008 at 6:31:06 am

My upper control panel on the EX1 has stopped working.

This is the area under the handle where the color bars button is.
None of those buttons work now and where working fine the other day.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping there's probably some switch to turn those buttons on/off that I hit accidently.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Upper Control Panel not working
on Jan 16, 2008 at 4:39:09 pm

Have you tried going into the menu and using the reset button returning the camera to factory defaults?

This camera (and many others) are really specialized computers and I suspect sometimes they can develop software issues.

I'm bumping into a possible software issue of my own but I'll save that for another post.

Return to posts index

PF BENTLEY
on Jan 16, 2008 at 7:02:43 pm

Thanks. I'll try it and see what happens. You know how you just hate to erase your customs settings!

PF

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2008 at 7:11:26 pm

If you save your custom settings in the camera it'll create a folder on the SxS card called "Sony." You can copy that to your hard drive to back up your camera settings.

Return to posts index

PF BENTLEY
on Jan 16, 2008 at 7:21:22 pm

Thanks for the settings tip.

I did the reset and the upper control panel still does not respond.

I'm open to other ideas! Thanks, PF

Return to posts index

Virtualmagician
on Jan 17, 2008 at 11:32:50 pm

i have the same issue on mine. no response from the upper control panel. stopped working in the middle of a location shoot today.

Return to posts index

PF BENTLEY
on Jan 18, 2008 at 4:29:39 am

Well, this is interesting to say the least. Is someone from Sony out there on this list who can address the issue?

Let me know if you find a solution.

On a related note: A friend of mine had the hand grip lose all controls. His dealer took back the camera and gave him a new one. I think there are some software bugs Sony needs to work out.

PF

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 2, 2008 at 4:20:08 am

Just thought I'd follow up. Has your top panel issue ben resolved? If so, How?

As you can see I'm getting an issue with programed zoom speeds below 10 and I now know of 2 others with the same issue.

Today I noticed that my remote stopped working. Yes I turned on IR Remote in the camera. Yes I checked by standing in front of the camera where the sensor is located. Yes the remote worked previously although hadn't used it in two weeks. Maybe the batter is dead but if that's the case it died much more quickly than it should have.

Return to posts index

PF BENTLEY
on Feb 2, 2008 at 4:12:35 pm

It has been a Byzantine nightmare dealing with Sony Repair, but in the end I'm getting a new camera as they could not fix it.

Here's the short version:

-I ended up shipping the camera to our LA office who hand carried to Sony Repair in LA.
-They could not fix it there and shipped it up to San Jose.
-San Jose could not locate the camera for a day or two since it was not logged in the system.
-They could not fix it there and I'm getting a new camera.
-However, there's two days of internal paperwork at Sony before they can ship the new camera to me.
-Due to Sony policy, our folks in LA can not pick it up and as of today, I'm still waiting for the camera to be shipped to me.

PF

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jan 18, 2008 at 7:25:31 pm

PF...

Aloha from a former Star-Bulletin chief photographer.

Hope you're able to resolve your problem. And I hope it's not a common defect as I'm about to get one of these things for our production company.

Dean Sensui -- Imagination Media Hawaii

Return to posts index

PF BENTLEY
on Jan 18, 2008 at 7:32:17 pm

Howzit Dean. Good to hear from you.

There have been other problems with the camera and we early adopters are the Beta group for Sony I'm afraid.

A camera store in LA sent 3 cameras out on a shoot to Peru (fairly dirty and challenging shoot), and all 3 came back within a week or so with electrical issues. One camera the lens would not turn, and had locked in an out of focus position, nothing could be done to free it. Another had recording issues. And the third had lost electrical on the top panel, as mine did.

No one from the Sony repair center in LA will return my email questions and I was going to do a user review of the camera for my February column on The Digital Journalist. So, I'm not a happy camper right now.

PF

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jan 18, 2008 at 7:43:30 pm

PF...

Get in contact with me at:

(my first name) (at) Hawaii Goes Fishing dot com.

This email address is intentionally goofy to prevent spam robots from bombing me. So use my first name in the email address, no spaces, etc.

Aloha,

Dean Sensui -- Imagination Media Hawaii

Return to posts index

Marco Tempest
on Jan 18, 2008 at 11:36:52 pm

my uper control panel works again. after it stopped working yesterday.
i hope that this will be the only digital voodoo I ever have to deal with on the EX1

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 21, 2008 at 6:55:55 pm

Sure sounds like a software issue. I've got an issue of my own I'm looking. I'll start another thread on that.

Return to posts index

PF BENTLEY
on Jan 21, 2008 at 8:08:52 pm

There's been a lot of issues with this camera, like the battery draining of all power if stored on the camera. Batteries charged and kept off the camera are fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]