FORUMS: list search recent posts

VF/LCD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy strome
VF/LCD
on Jan 4, 2008 at 1:26:33 pm

Hi All,

Not much in the way of comment on the LCD or Viewfinder quality or usability (outside of ergonomics). How does the LCD fare outdoors?

Thanks,
Randy

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: VF/LCD
on Jan 4, 2008 at 4:31:01 pm

The LCD seems fine outdoors, but where I am it's the dead of winter and cloudy all the time, so the true test will be when the sun's out. The VF is not good enough for critical focus but with peaking turned on and if you've got a wide shot set up with a deep DOF you can be reasonably confident that your shot will be in focus using only the VF.

Actually, I did a few tests trying to focus on an object with a shallow DOF using only the viewfinder and the subject was in focus after checking later at home. But using peaking in this situation, as well as using the expanded focus feature is a must if you want to be sure.

- Don

Return to posts index

randy Strome
on Jan 4, 2008 at 4:50:45 pm

Thanks Don,

I will be typically shooting on on tripod, with a varizoom and using the LCD. We try to set up in the shade, but...

Is there room on the LCD for any kind of hood attachment (velcro) and still have it retract? I am guessing no. I am trying to determine if a Small she mounetd monitor will be required or if I can get away with the stock setup.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 4, 2008 at 5:20:21 pm

[randy Strome] "s there room on the LCD for any kind of hood attachment (velcro) and still have it retract?"

Probably not, but something like a Hoodman, depending on how it's made will enable the user to flip out the LCD and quickly slide it on and then off again before stowing the screen. If that works out you won't need an additional monitor. The stock LCD works very well.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 4, 2008 at 5:52:57 pm

The LCD has a backlight on/off function as well as level control. I have a hunch it'll do just fine outside in sun. The LCD has awesome detail good enough for focusing especially with expanded focus or peaking.

Return to posts index

randy Strome
on Jan 4, 2008 at 7:47:03 pm

Great,
Thanks guys. Last Hoodman I owned was attached by velcro and i hadn't checked in on them. Looks like they are using elasticised loops now. Nice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]