FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extra SxS cards ??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Wargo
Extra SxS cards ??
on Jan 4, 2008 at 8:52:47 am

Someone posted a comment about some low priced cards a few weeks ago. Who was that and where are they and do they work???

I have 4 ordered from Sony and there seems to be a problem with supply. You'd think they'd be a little excited about selling $50 worth of cards for 3 grand. Sure they are.

No batteries either.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Extra SxS cards ??
on Jan 4, 2008 at 4:36:59 pm

The supplier wants a grand for each 16 Gbyte card here in the GWN (great white north) even though the CDN and US dollar is the same value. I already have 2 of the U60's but my W/A adapter is still on backorder, and I ordered that at the same time as the camera and extra batteries.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 4, 2008 at 5:49:38 pm

Juan Martinez from Sony mentioned that at some point there would be a firmware update for the camera that would allow other cards to be used. Those cards apparently would still be "certified' by Sony (since obviously not all cards would meet spec) and that such cards would likely have slower transfer speeds. He didn't mention when that firmware update would happen. My hunch is it'll be after the recoup their investment in SxS development. I've heard others speculate that, in addition to slow transfer rate, that such cards might not handle overcranking because that record data rate is much higher than 35mbps (probably can be closer to 100mbps and there may need to be significant overhead beyond that). That's aspect about such cards is speculation though.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 5, 2008 at 12:20:32 pm

Hi Steve,
I think there is a "world-wide shortage" (?) of SS memory and batteries. My supplier in Singapore told me that he have the camera ready, but for the two extras SS16Gb and batteries I have to wait.
If you want to check the prices in this side of the pond, have a look here:

http://www.expandore.com/product/Sony/Proav/model/XDCAM_HD/XDCAM_EX.htm

Cheers.
rafael

PPC G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM/BlackMagic SD/PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM
JVC DTV-17"/FCS2/AE CS3/COMBUSTION/SHAKE

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
A similar feeling
on Jan 5, 2008 at 5:32:09 pm

Now I know how the Red Camera guys feel. We have a camera that we can't record to. Well, at least we can record 28 minutes of material at a time, with sound. But let's see: If I buy 6 EX-1s, about what a basic Red costs, I'll have 6 SxS cards and 6 batteries or I can do a 6 camera shoot, or, I could outfit an entire crew for a reality show, or, or, or...

I just can't stop myself from doing that.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: A similar feeling
on Jan 5, 2008 at 5:50:41 pm

Did I get lucky? I got a U60 battery and 16GB card a few days after I got the camera (late December) at AbelCine. I was under the impression they may have sold out by the next day but you might consider checking there.

Return to posts index

Mariusz Cichon
on Jan 5, 2008 at 9:48:13 pm

I got camera, 2x 16GB cards and I have 8GB card and another 8GB card coming as rebate offer.
I have too many cards :) Anybody looking for 8GB cards? Let me know.
Mariusz

P.S. I got all that in first batch of cameras at Abelcine

Return to posts index

John PLACE
on Mar 22, 2008 at 11:46:09 pm

I would be interested in your 8gb cards. How much?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
What about the "Vignett"?
on Jan 6, 2008 at 4:39:12 am

Steve, Don, Craig,
You haven't had the "vignetting" problem in your cameras?
I'm a bit scared about that because the closet SONY service is 700 miles away from here. I see my self coming and going to Bangkok to get the problem fixed if its happens.
Big companies always try to sell in this part of the world all their defective gear.
Not much "customers rights' and nowhere to complain.
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: What about the "Vignett"?
on Jan 6, 2008 at 6:19:53 am

[Rafael Amador] "Steve, Don, Craig,
You haven't had the "vignetting" problem in your cameras? "

Sure have tested. It's not there. I know this because I tested my dealer's first batch and saw it. My camera hadn't arrived. The dealer told me about a delay while the next batch was being checked. My camera came in. Did the test. Clean. I believe all the currently shipping cameras are good to go.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 6, 2008 at 7:35:50 am

Ours is OK. I tested the image on our 9" Sony HD field monitor in underscan. I heard they were sending all of the bad ones to Vientiane/Lao PDR. So, I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Just kidding. You'll be fine.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 6, 2008 at 9:43:37 am

[Steve Wargo] "You'll be fine"
Otherwise the dry heat of Tempe will hear my sobbing:-)
I told my supplier don't ship my EX1 till the middle of February that I'm coming back from Spain. Hopefully by then they have sold the bad ones to somebody else.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 7, 2008 at 6:57:42 am

I would guess that the first cameras were sent back to Sony. There is no way that they're going to send faulty cameras out. Not after the PD-150 fiasco. they had a sound issue. the PD-150 was the fix. I heard at one time that there was a class action suite planned but never heard anything more.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]