FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX Motion Artifacts?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
seandonnelly
XDCAM EX Motion Artifacts?
on Jan 3, 2008 at 1:12:45 pm

Hello everyone, hate to repeat something that may have been covered already but I've been researching this camera pretty heavily, and I'm hoping the people who have received theirs could help me out. Does the VBR method truly minimize motion artifacts, or are they still noticeable in reasonable shooting conditions? My experience with HDV (with and without 35 adaptors) has made me stay away from interframe compression as much as possible, but in all the footage I've seen from this camera I haven't noticed any. I'm not terribly concerned about rolling shutter issues since I've been using film for many years now (Panaflexes and for that matter all film cameras have a rolling shutter), but HDV style motion artifacts would probably be a deal breaker for me. Thanks for all your time,

-Sean Donnelly

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM EX Motion Artifacts?
on Jan 3, 2008 at 3:42:42 pm

Things that torture the HDV codec pass through the XDCAM codec with flying colors (artifact free). I've shot rippling water with reflections at 1080p30 and water fountain at 720p60 slowed to 24p and they look OUTSTANDING. I've shot ice skaters and a spinning carousel. ALL looked GREAT. I've seen basketball, soccer, sledding video from others. All CLEAN.

A few posts down I posted a link to video I shot at Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. Obviously the H264 at 1.5mbps doesn't do the source justice but at least you can see what I've been shooting to test this camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]