FORUMS: list search recent posts

should i buy the pmw-ex1?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Carroccio
should i buy the pmw-ex1?
on Jan 1, 2008 at 7:54:10 pm

hey friends,

im in my final year of film school and em thinking about investing in the sony pmw-ex1.

i would be upgraded from an hdr-fx1.

im a little overwhelmed with the work flow tho; the new sxs cards would be new to be and i would need to make sure that the hd footage can adequitly be uploaded on a mac.

thx

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: should i buy the pmw-ex1?
on Jan 1, 2008 at 8:54:48 pm

It's a GREAT camera.

What kind of business/work are you pursuing?
You need to make sure the tool fits the clients/work you pursue and the budget/rates you expect/need to cover costs and make a living.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 2, 2008 at 3:48:08 am

or, you could buy one just because it kicks major ass for the money.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

James Carroccio
on Jan 3, 2008 at 8:03:37 pm

i would love 2 pursue commercial work. (advertisement, music video's...)

but i have experience with corporate video work, so ill prob be doing that once i graduate.

i will take in consideration the clients needs. thx

im thinking tho, that everything now is going hd and that soon that will be the industry standard.

can one burn hd footage on a regular dvd (i know it would prob be compressed)?

i just need to know before i buy this camera that the workflow will be fluid and that the pmw will work with my imac 2.33 ghz intel core 2 duo processor.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 3, 2008 at 9:00:59 pm

[James Carroccio] " i have experience with corporate video work, so ill prob be doing that once i graduate."

Given the increasing number of corporate presentation rooms with HDTV, the EX1 should really impress them.

[James Carroccio] "i would love 2 pursue commercial work. (advertisement, music video's...) "

Lots of local cable spots are still standard def as many station still ask for SD spot delivery. You can certainly down rez for that. You'll have an edge though if your client wants to advertise on an HD capable channel. Or, like me, have had clients that wanted the spots to run in local movie theaters.

This camera is GREAT for Music Videos. Make sure you're not taken advantage of financially though. Far too many bands don't have the budget.

[James Carroccio] "an one burn hd footage on a regular dvd (i know it would prob be compressed)? "

Depends on what you mean by that.

If you just want to do a standard def DVD-Video you'd compress like any other source . . . but this should look better.

If you want the client to screen Master quality video you can burn on to DVD-DL (or DVD-R) and include the free Sony Clip Browser software. No more worries about HDV deck ownership or compatibility for the client. No compression needed here but they'll need a fast computer to playback the files.

If the client has a Blu-ray Player or PS3, you can change the .mp4 to .ts and burn it to disc. No compression needed here. The player at $300-$400 currently is FAR LESS EXPENSIVE than an HDV deck. You'd need a Blu-ray burner (around $600).

[James Carroccio] "i just need to know before i buy this camera that the workflow will be fluid and that the pmw will work with my imac 2.33 ghz intel core 2 duo processor.
"

It'll probably work faster than my G5. That's for sure. You'll want an external firewire drive to playback the files from when editing.

Return to posts index

James Carroccio
on Jan 3, 2008 at 8:03:59 pm

i would love 2 pursue commercial work. (advertisement, music video's...)

but i have experience with corporate video work, so ill prob be doing that once i graduate.

i will take in consideration the clients needs. thx

im thinking tho, that everything now is going hd and that soon that will be the industry standard.

can one burn hd footage on a regular dvd (i know it would prob be compressed)?

i just need to know before i buy this camera that the workflow will be fluid and that the pmw will work with my imac 2.33 ghz intel core 2 duo processor.

Return to posts index

mark palmos
on Jan 3, 2008 at 12:52:52 pm

i did not NEED this camera
i just plain WANTED it
its fantastic
only problem is now i have NO excuses for doing great work...

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 6, 2008 at 8:03:17 am

[mark palmos] "i did not NEED this camera
i just plain WANTED it "

Well stated.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]