FORUMS: list search recent posts

What will give better results...?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harcharan Singh
What will give better results...?
on Dec 28, 2007 at 9:09:25 am

Hi,
We have an Avid Composer 2.7 with Adrenaline with DNXCEL HD board for HD-SDI capture.We are planning to get an EX1.
Just wanted to know whether the direct transfer from the card will give a better result or a capture through HD-SDI (10 bit ?????) playing the clips from the card?
Thks
Harcharan

Return to posts index

john conner
Re: What will give better results...?
on Dec 29, 2007 at 10:26:31 am

Hi Harcharan,

I was hoping the SDI would give best results, but after testing it with both a Kona 3 and ioHD I have concluded the 35mbit HQ mode off the SxS card is the best you can get off the camera. And it is very good, even when pulling keys. See the SDI post below.

John

Return to posts index

Mark Adams
on Dec 31, 2007 at 6:08:54 am

John,

Have you tried the SDI out to the AJA I/O with your sxs cards removed from the camera? Someone on another thread mentioned that the signal might be different with the cards removed. I am considering the AJA but after your post I am now unsure.

Mark Adams
http://www.rocketclips.com

Return to posts index

john conner
on Dec 31, 2007 at 7:13:18 am

Yes I have tried it with and without cards. I believe the MPEG compression and decompression is always running, and going out the SDI, which might be why it gets quite warm and goes though batt even when it is not recording.

John

Return to posts index

Harcharan Singh
on Dec 31, 2007 at 12:49:51 pm

Hi John,
Here is wishing everyone a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year.
Thks for your reponse.
But can you please confirm that Avid Composer will support full raster 35MB files from EX 1.
I was also wondering then whats the use of such high priced equipments such as the Adrenaline..apart from HD mastering...
Are are we seeing a death of such expensive IO boxes and the decks?
Your views...
Harcharan

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Jan 3, 2008 at 8:16:32 pm

John,

[john conner] "Yes I have tried it with and without cards. I believe the MPEG compression and decompression is always running, and going out the SDI"

Since you've tried the HDSDI with and without cards in the EX1 without satisfaction that squirrels my supposition that perhaps the HDSDI out was different depending on whether it was simultaneously recording to cards or just presenting an EE signal.

I would think that others on this forum would be feverishly testing the HDSDI output of their EX1's to find out whether the signal is truly 4:2:2 uncompressed off the camera head or decompressed from the MPEG2 stream, but so far that's not the case. I'm left to wonder whether your experience is universal, or if you have a bum EX1, or if Sony has intentionally down engineered the HDSDI output? I hope we find out pretty darned soon.

Good Luck to you,

Ron Shook

Return to posts index

Mark Adams
on Jan 3, 2008 at 9:01:58 pm

Ron,

I have the EX-1 but I don't have any way to view the signal. No SDI in to my computer and my 20" HD production crt only has component in.
Does anyone know if I could go SDI to HDMI? I could view that on my 37" HD LCD.

Mark

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Jan 3, 2008 at 9:36:27 pm

Mark,

[Mark Adams] "I have the EX-1 but I don't have any way to view the signal. No SDI in to my computer and my 20" HD production crt only has component in."

I understand, but there are others out there who can do it. I went looking for an answer elsewhere and found others claiming gorgeous output from the HDSDI, but nothing specific about what it is. John may just have different sensibilities or he may have a problem. I'd like to know for sure.

[Mark Adams] "Does anyone know if I could go SDI to HDMI? I could view that on my 37" HD LCD."

Convergent Design make such a device but it ain't cheap at $325 MSRP:

http://www.convergent-design.com/CD_Products_nanoView.htm

Perhaps someone knows of other possibilities.

Ron Shook

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Feb 11, 2008 at 12:40:55 pm

This thread has been quiet for some time. I wonder if some definite answers have come up regarding the HDSDI capabilities of the EX1.

Sorry for asking a newbie´s questions in these forums, but I also want to check if I am correct in my assumptions:

1. HDSDI output is (should be) better (uncompressed, 10 bit) than capturing to SxS-card.
2. I need a capturing device, like the AJA Io HD.
3. This capturing device must be connected to a computer, like MacBook Pro for storage to a harddisk.
4. The AJA Io HD gives the possibility to save the HDSDI output to ProRes 422 codec.
5. ProRes 422 is a very good codec.

The AJA Io HD is portable, yes, but obviosly it needa 100-240V power. Thinking of bringing camera, tripod, a laptop, the Io, a car battery with a voltage converter in the type of filming I do - nature, wildlife - well, I probably need an assistant with a lot of muscles :-)

But if the quality in the end is much better, it will be doable.

How much better?

Thanks in advance

/Sverker

Return to posts index

john conner
on Feb 11, 2008 at 6:05:53 pm

The HDSDI output is not usable for anything other then rough monitoring and it's not even good for that when moving the camera like on a crane because of the massive frame delay. The camera is MPEG compressing and decompressing the video before it comes out the SDI as "10bit uncompressed" video.

The 35mbit on the SxS is as good as it gets with the EX1 and that is pretty good.

John

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Feb 13, 2008 at 4:38:06 pm

Thanks John.

Too bad that this option of higher quality - even if it is expensive and heavy - does not exist. Could it be changed in a coming firmware?

Hopefully I get this nice camera next week ...

/Sverker

Return to posts index

Mark Adams
on Dec 31, 2007 at 4:42:03 pm

John,

Thanks, now I have one less reason to party tonight. One of the main reasons I got this camera was to marry it to the AJA io hd and a laptop. Do you happen to know where I can rent an AJA io hd in the LA area?

Mark

Return to posts index

john conner
on Dec 31, 2007 at 9:37:05 pm

Yea Mark I got the ioHD for the same reason. I am pretty happy with the 35mbit, though it would have been nice to get pure SDI off the camera. We have a Aja IoHD in the LA area if you need one.

Do you have a EX1 in the LA area? We are doing some shooting of helicopters this Thrus and Fri and are thinking about using our EX1 if we can get Batts and another EX1.

John

Return to posts index

Mark Adams
on Dec 31, 2007 at 11:42:02 pm

John,

Yes I have an EX-1 in Long Beach but I just got it and I'm testing and shooting every day for a while. Sometime after things settle down a little I'd like to plug into an io hd and see the problematic footage for myself. I guess I just can't get over the idea that Sony would spit out GOP compressed then uncompressed from the SDI. Especially with Canon providing true uncompressed straight from the head.

Mark

http://www.rocketclips.com

Return to posts index

Harcharan Singh
on Jan 1, 2008 at 9:44:54 am

Hi,
I just went to the AJA site and really the AJA io hd is an
excellent product.But just one querry:
1. Which Laptop is recommended for on field acquisition?
2. Which storage drive is recommended?

With an AJA io hd available roughly for USD3200 or even less
I think it is totally worth it.

Can you please post the results of your tests.
Thks
Harcharan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]