FORUMS: list search recent posts

Steadicam Merlin, Vest, and Arm with the EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Grizzle
Steadicam Merlin, Vest, and Arm with the EX1
on Dec 27, 2007 at 9:06:25 am

Good match or no?

Sent Tiffen an e-mail last week, but no reply. Maybe they're out for Christmas.

Is the EX1 pushing Merlin weight limits? With a Chrosziel and/or Sanken CS-1 mounted?

How would you mount a couple of wireless receivers (Sennheiser G2)?

No sled and tiny counterbalance look easy to work with.

How about over the shoulder shots, say leading talent down a narrow hallway?

How workable is the flip out LCD? Useful in sunlight with a Hoodman?

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
Re: Steadicam Merlin, Vest, and Arm with the EX1
on Dec 27, 2007 at 5:48:04 pm

Danny,

[Danny Grizzle] "Good match or no?"

I've looked into that myself and am thinking that you'd be pushing the envelope too much once you add mic(s) and whatever. I think the Pilot which uses the same vest and arm with a light sled would be a better fit, plus it'd be usefull with other slightly heavier camcorders like the JVCs.

Ron Shook

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
Re: Steadicam Merlin, Vest, and Arm with the EX1
on Dec 27, 2007 at 6:20:20 pm

I really like the idea of no sled. So far, my experience is limited to using a klunky Promax SteadiTracker Extreme with a PD-150. I can't complain -- the SteadiTracker was free with the PD-150 (NAB special), and it opened my eyes to a new style of camera work. Especially after I learned how to use it, and added my own kludgy techniques like using a long bungie cord from a baggage cart hooped around my neck, tensioned to support the weight.

The sled/stand continues to be a pain. All too easy to bump on furniture, walls, or hit with my legs. I'd bet this does not affect high-end Steadicam users so much because they have their monitors mounted on the sled, so obstacles and footing are visible in peripheral vision. But those of us who use a camera LCD for framing need to avoid the sled if possible.

Philip Bloom has a Merlin with vest and arm, and an EX1. I'm hoping he will chime in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]