FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony XDCAM EX1 and Letus Extreme 35mm adaptor

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Bloom
Sony XDCAM EX1 and Letus Extreme 35mm adaptor
on Dec 27, 2007 at 6:35:03 am

I have recently been using the above combo with a fair amount of success. You can read about my efforts and see my clips at http://www.philipbloom.co.uk.

My latest short is also on there called "My Autumn's Done Come", a good example of what is achievable with this adaptor.

Thanks

philip

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
Re: Sony XDCAM EX1 and Letus Extreme 35mm adaptor
on Dec 27, 2007 at 8:15:15 am

I've looked at your footage -- gorgeous!

A few questions:

How robust is the Letus Extreme? Build quality? Lens mount? Motor(!)?

Can you detail what lenses you are using?

(I've got my old collection of Canon FD breech mount manual focus lenses I'd love to get back into action! This includes 15mm f2.8 Fisheye, 20mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f3.5 macro, 135mm f2.5, 200mm f2.8, and a 300mm f5.6).

How much bother is changing lens mounts, say Canon FD to Canon EOS?

(I've got a set of manual focus Canon T/S primes in EOS mount - imagine view camera moves on a video camera...)

What kind of rod supports?

Also, what are the tripod requirements. I'm considering the Vinten ProTouch Pro-6.

Still, the whole premise is a bit incredible -- how can an image projected onto a vibrating ground glass possibly compare in sharpness and contrast? Does this thing *really* look like prime lenses on a full resolution HD monitor?

Return to posts index

Philip Bloom
on Dec 27, 2007 at 8:31:05 am

I've looked at your footage -- gorgeous! Thanks

A few questions:

How robust is the Letus Extreme? Build quality? Lens mount? Motor(!)? Incredibly well built. As solid as the mini 35. Lens mount can be just about any 35mm lens including PL mount.

Can you detail what lenses you are using?

(I've got my old collection of Canon FD breech mount manual focus lenses I'd love to get back into action! This includes 15mm f2.8 Fisheye, 20mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f3.5 macro, 135mm f2.5, 200mm f2.8, and a 300mm f5.6). I use fast nikon primes, as well as Zeiss 50mm Macro and 85mm f1.4 as well as two Hartblei shift tilt lenses and a some Sigma primes.

How much bother is changing lens mounts, say Canon FD to Canon EOS? Your Canon lenses will be fine, although you could do with an 85mm. Eos lenses are a slightly more problematic due to there not being manual iris control. Lens mount changing is simple

(I've got a set of manual focus Canon T/S primes in EOS mount - imagine view camera moves on a video camera...)

What kind of rod supports? I use the Letus own rod supports. Very good they are too

Also, what are the tripod requirements. I'm considering the Vinten ProTouch Pro-6. I have a brilliant Miller solo ds20 tripod. quite superb

Still, the whole premise is a bit incredible -- how can an image projected onto a vibrating ground glass possibly compare in sharpness and contrast? Does this thing *really* look like prime lenses on a full resolution HD monitor? it looks amazing. Download the HD versions of Kew Gardens in winter, piccadilly furs and of course the new one my autumn's done come. There are 720p downloadable versions linked there. Also read my blog for loads more info on the Letus Extreme!

Thanks

Philip Bloom

http://www.philipbloom.co.uk

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Dec 27, 2007 at 8:42:45 am

I take it you are a Letus fan, no affiliation with the company. At least the UK - Wichita, Kansas, connection is not obvious.

Frankly, I'd never heard of Letus before I saw what you are doing with it. And the concept was lacking in credibility until I saw your footage. Now I'm very excited, given my clutch of still lenses.

I agree on the 85mm -- already online searching eBay for an f1.2.

Thanks for responding, and thanks for posting such great footage!

Return to posts index

Philip Bloom
on Dec 27, 2007 at 9:07:37 am

The Brevis system http://www.cinevate.com is also very impressive.

Am a big fan of both!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 27, 2007 at 10:01:14 am

Hi Phillip,
My internet connexion is very slow, so until I've been able only to download 'Piccadilly furs".
I can not stop playing it in my MBP. Incredible. Congratulation.
Rafael
PS: My EX1 is coming..

PPC G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM/BlackMagic SD/PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM
JVC DTV-17"/FCS2/AE CS3/COMBUSTION/SHAKE

Return to posts index

Philip Bloom
on Dec 27, 2007 at 10:30:13 am

Cool. Get the rest They are worth it!!

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Dec 27, 2007 at 6:50:27 pm

Philip, you are the master. Not only depth of field, but also artful temporal dynamics with over/undercranking.

I'm studying "Lost Times." It seems to exhibit an edge defocused vignette. I'd attribute this to the Letus except I didn't notice a similar effect in your other 35mm examples. What is happening?

I'll stop blathering, except one more compliment: you have a terrific work ethic. Not only quality, but a high volume of EX1 completed work posted on your site. Makes me ashamed to be reading this board when I should be out shooting!

Return to posts index

Philip Bloom
on Dec 27, 2007 at 6:57:44 pm

Hi danny

in lost times I shot mostly with Hartblei tilt/ shift lenses which move the focus plane to wherever i want!

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Dec 27, 2007 at 7:36:38 pm

That explains it. I rarely use the tilt capability of my Canon T/S lenses. My work with these mainly uses shift to correct architectural convergence.

BTW - I saw on your website you own a Steadicam Merlin rig. Another thing I do is walking talking tours of log homes. Hope you can take a minute to post any experience you have with the Merlin/EX1 combo on the separate thread I started.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Kudell
on Dec 29, 2007 at 5:06:23 am

Phillip,

I am blown away by your films shot with this combo. I have a EX1 on the way and I would love to get that "film look" that you are getting. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the Letus Extreme.

If you had to recommend just two or three lenses to buy for use with this combo, what would it be? I currently don't have any lenses other than the Canon EOS 28-135mm lens that came with my 40D digital camera. Of course, Canon EOS lenses would be the most ideal since I could also use them with my 40D, but then there's the iris problem that might be a pain with the Letus Extreme.

If you were starting from scratch, what 3 lenses would you get for this combo?

Return to posts index

randy Strome
on Dec 27, 2007 at 2:03:27 pm

Philip,
Props to you bro,
Your stuff is...beyond.

Has me very interested in that Letus, but of course...hands of the user.

OT here, but very interested in what export settings you are using for you Flash shorts. Best quality online I have come across hands down.

Thanks for the post.

Randy

Return to posts index

Philip Bloom
on Dec 27, 2007 at 6:21:19 pm

Thanks

I export using .mp4 quicktime h264 with a size of 700x400 and a bitrate of 1400mps.

Return to posts index

randy Strome
on Dec 27, 2007 at 9:09:34 pm

Thanks again,

Are you using more frequent keyframes or is the original video just that clean that artifacts are really low at the settings you have already mentioned? And if you do't mind, what is the file size of "Autumn".

Thanks for your assistance!

Randy

Return to posts index

clyde v
on Dec 29, 2007 at 1:05:56 am

I know that no one here will use anything less than a Letus35 Extreme. However, has anyone experienced using a Letus35 Economy? How does it compare with the Extreme? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Philip Bloom
on Dec 29, 2007 at 7:12:20 am

don't bother. it's much flimsier, uglier, the batter compartment is outside, the lens mount is much poorer. spend the extra for something that will last 5 times longer

Return to posts index

Philip Bloom
on Dec 29, 2007 at 7:15:59 am

keyframes are set to auto and I think Autumn's Done Come is about 50mb...

Return to posts index

David Kudell
on Dec 31, 2007 at 8:14:03 pm

Phillip,

I am blown away by your films shot with this combo. I have a EX1 on the way and I would love to get that "film look" that you are getting. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the Letus Extreme.

If you had to recommend just two or three lenses to buy for use with this combo, what would it be? I currently don't have any lenses other than the Canon EOS 28-135mm lens that came with my 40D digital camera. Of course, Canon EOS lenses would be the most ideal since I could also use them with my 40D, but then there's the iris problem that might be a pain with the Letus Extreme.

If you were starting from scratch, what 3 lenses would you get for this combo? (price being no object)

Return to posts index

Philip Bloom
on Jan 1, 2008 at 3:07:43 am

EASY! money no object then get the 50mm zeiss t2 macro. 85mm Zeiss f1.4 the third a toss up between a good wide angle or a longer lens, ideally get them both. A fast 28mm and a fast 105mm is ideal.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 6, 2008 at 4:47:36 am

Hi Philip,
Sorry if my question sound stupid. When you use the Letus with a 35mm lens, in which position you have the zoom of your camera?
Rafael

PPC G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM/BlackMagic SD/PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM
JVC DTV-17"/FCS2/AE CS3/COMBUSTION/SHAKE

Return to posts index

Charles Papert
on Feb 5, 2008 at 7:29:24 am

If anyone is interested in a short film made with the EX1 and Redrock M2, please see here:

http://web.mac.com/chupap/Films/tablemanners.html

Return to posts index

Sam Roberts
on Aug 22, 2008 at 6:57:08 pm

Does a video camera with 2/3 inch imagers and the standard ENG type lens mount (C mount?) need to have a pre existing lens attached to it to uses them 35mm adaptors or do they attach to the camera's lens mount?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]