FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 case and tripod

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike faulkner
EX1 case and tripod
on Dec 26, 2007 at 2:24:30 pm

Hi Everyone
I have taken the plung and ordered a Sony EX1. my first proper video camera. now that I have splashed out for this.

I realise I need to buy a good tripod and case to travel with. I have a shoot in Thailand in a few weeks and need to order possibly with trying out the equipment, so will have to order online :-(

I want as light as possible, I've got used to the idea of spending more than I can afford!!

for tripod i am thinking
- Miller 1511-DS10 tripod
- gitzo carbon x6 legs but what head

also for a cover
CBA-EX1 Camera Body Armor

what do need for taking on a flight
should I buy a soft case as well as i like the idea of traveling round. or hard case. or keep in my solid suitcase

any help would be much appreciated
happy holidays
mike

Return to posts index

randy Strome
Re: EX1 case and tripod
on Dec 26, 2007 at 4:01:40 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496825-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_503HDV_351...

I owned the older versions of this kit and just ordered this one.

compare to http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=647#2_2

I am not sure how crucial the 2.5 lb difference is between 10 and 12.5 lbs, but the Bogen setup works very well, even with much heavier cameras. It also stings a lot less when you chip it :)

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Dec 27, 2007 at 4:16:03 am

I'll second that Bogen choice. We have a 501 for our DVX100s and it's been a real performer. When I travel, I have the camera in a rolling hard case and I have the tripod on my shoulder. Even though it's too large for a carry on, they usually don't see it and I have never been bothered.

To keep bags to a minimum, I pack clothes in the tripod bag and the hard case. Keep in mind that the feds will go through your stuff. No tools. Go to the airport ahead of time with the items you intend to travel with and have the TSA guys give you an opinion. However, remember that it's only an opinion of a federal employee and worth nothing when you talk to the next guy. It's like getting advice from an IRS employee.

You were traveling on a plane, right?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Dec 27, 2007 at 8:29:16 am

Has anyone used the Vinten Protouch Pro-6?

I've used most brands of fluid heads over the years. Currently shooting with Bogen (PD-150) and a Gitzo (DSR-500). Tripod quality is money well spent, so I am willing to spend more for the EX1.

Besides the camera, I plan to use various accessories like the wide angle adapter, a Chrosziel, wireless mic receivers, a Letus Extreme and fairly heavy Canon FD still camera lenses.

Does anyone have experience with Vinten Protouch vs. Vision series?

Return to posts index

Rick Sullivan
on Nov 14, 2008 at 12:39:37 am

I'm looking at a new tripod for my set up and wondered if the Vinten Pro-6 or Vision 3 are for me as well. Did you ever get one? Here's what I'm using:

Sony EX1
Letus Extreme with rails

I'm thinking I need a heavier tripod than a Vinten Pro 6, but I've never seen one in person. I have a local one I can buy used, but have never met anyone who can vouch for one. Anyone's suggestions are welcome. Tripods are so hard to buy in my neck of the woods as no stores carry them.

Rick Sullivan
http://www.ricksullivanmedia.com

Return to posts index

Nicholas Brown
on Jul 31, 2009 at 1:43:14 pm

With this economy, frugal is in. I just bought barely used Bogen/Manfrotto 3246 sticks and 3036 head for an EX1 sans rails. You can buy them used cheap on eBay and Bogen has the parts in stock. The tripod is solid yet light and the head is smooth and controllable.

If you can afford a new Vinten, go for it. Talk to a Vinten rep because they know the best solution. The EX1 is a light camera and you should find a head thats made for it's weight.

Gitzo carbon is great if you want to travel light, compact sturdy but spendy.

Return to posts index

Rick Sullivan
on Jul 31, 2009 at 1:57:11 pm

Hey Nicholas- I ended up buying the Sachtler 6SB with carbon legs from BH Photo. It was $2300 or so and I'm really happy to have it although that's a lot of money to me as well. I just found that my older Bogen 501 did not pan and tilt quite softly enough on delicate shots , especially on telephoto. The Sachtler is butter. And now that I'm loading rails, adapters and potentially a clip on monitor it's nice to have the ability to use it in a heavy setup or lightweight. The Sachtler has nice features which allow it to go either way.

Good luck with your setup!

Happy shooting,

Rick

Rick Sullivan
http://www.ricksullivanmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]