FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using XDCAM EX macro on/off

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Alan
Using XDCAM EX macro on/off
on Dec 24, 2007 at 1:27:58 am

I don't see how this works. The manual has one short paragraph that doesn't say much. Is there a trick to it, a menus setting or is my camera not working right. Macro usually means the lens can focus on objects within the first three feet in front of the lens. I can't get it to work.

Gary

Mac Pro 3Ghz Intel Dual Duo, 6GB RAM, 30" ACD
MacBook Pro 17"
Sony XDCAM EX with a Sachtler Tripod System

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Using XDCAM EX macro on/off
on Dec 24, 2007 at 6:11:08 am

We got ours to comply but lens the can't be zoomed. We did have to mess with it and I don't remember the details. Ours is out on a rental and we'll look into it when it returns either on Monday or Wednesday. Other than that, do you have any comments?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Dec 24, 2007 at 9:26:16 am

[Steve Wargo] "We got ours to comply but lens the can't be zoomed."

hi steve and others
lens must be
in AF/MF mode
set at full wide angle
macro switch on.

it works fine, you can focus about as close as you can get something, but as with all consumer cameras, its only at full wide.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Dec 24, 2007 at 10:47:05 am

And there ya go. You would think that the lens would be in MF mode. That's what threw us off at first.

Thanks Mark

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 24, 2007 at 3:40:33 pm

Just to clarify because I think there's some confusion.
MF/AF is servo controlled
Full Manual is non servo.

The Macro works with servo control but you can certainly have Auto Focus turned off.
Yes the lens must be full wide.

Return to posts index

Gary Alan
on Dec 25, 2007 at 1:21:55 am

Thanx all. I was probably not full wide. I will try it again at work on Wed.

Gary

Mac Pro 3Ghz Intel Dual Duo, 6GB RAM, 30" ACD
MacBook Pro 17"
Sony XDCAM EX with a Sachtler Tripod System

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Dec 25, 2007 at 4:05:24 pm

Camera now in hand (Christmas Morning. Am I crazy? I should be in bed.)

Focus ring forward to AF/MF - Lens zoom and iris are full wide

Subject is an Excedrin bottle, 1/4" from lens shade

Turn Macro on and focus.

I was able to zoom to about 20 mm before it went out of focus.

Once it goes out of focus, you have to zoom back and refocus.

I thoought for sure that the lens had to be in full manual but not so.

Merry Christmas

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 25, 2007 at 4:58:11 pm

[Steve Wargo] "Camera now in hand (Christmas Morning. Am I crazy? I should be in bed.) "
Actually you're playing with your most favorite Christmas present. Christmas morning is time to play with our toys of course.

[Steve Wargo] "Subject is an Excedrin bottle, 1/4" from lens shade "
Must have had a good Christmas Eve party.

[Steve Wargo] "I thoought for sure that the lens had to be in full manual but not so."

Macro is invalid in Full Manual Focus. Page 49 in the manual.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
What?
on Dec 25, 2007 at 5:13:26 pm

There's a book?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: What?
on Dec 25, 2007 at 6:35:24 pm

[Steve Wargo] "There's a book?"

It took me some to figure out what that thing was for. I hooked the battery to it and it didn't drain it so I thought something might be wrong with it.

I opened it and it had words so I figured it had nothing to do with video. I though maybe it was just packing filler kinda like some people do with old video trade magazines.

Then I thought maybe it was just one of those long warranty cards with terms that explain they don't repair the camera if an elephant sits on it or you throw it out the window.

I decided to open it again and the words didn't seem to make any sense. Ah I said, words not making sense, must be a manual. It has many cryptic phrases but much harder to read than a Harry Potter book.

Return to posts index

SB Elcap
EX 1 Lens Servo Fails
on Feb 23, 2008 at 5:19:46 am

I just did an A to B comparison of the Panasonic HVX 200 and the Sony EX1. Not scientific, perhaps, but telling.

Set both cameras up on the same scene, and display was a new Samsung 40" 1080p monitor. Component out on both cameras.

Scenes also captured and put into FCP 6 for comparison. Also transfered some "hero shots," from both cameras.

Results: EX1 image noticeably sharper, significantly greater latitude in shaded areas. Hands down better image on the EX1. Easier to focus (the EX1 focus enhancement system really does work).

Input to FCP was "easier" using XDCAM Transfer - and the HVX200 footage needed to be rendered (using a 1080p timeline).

And now for the good news.

During comparison test, the brand new EX 1 failed. Lens servo broke or something - back focus completely out; would zoom out, but not in. Almost seemed like it was stuck in "macro," which was 'floating.' When panned, objects appeared to "fly through" the frame - as if the steady shot feature was failing to center the image. Totally weird behavior.

Sony phone support talked me through a nifty procedure: push the "menu," "select," and "cancel" buttons, all at the same time. This brings up a whole new level of diagnostics and, as the tech told me, "stuff you shouldn't fool around with."

He did have me go the "M" (for "Maintenance") menu, where the "FB adjust" function can be found (I'm not 100% sure I got the acronym correct - I mailed the camera to Sony within a short time of doing this diagnostic, and didn't write down the exact menu command - it's the last one in the "M" list, if I recall). "Execute" will cause the camera to rack focus and focal length repeatedly as it, I guess, adjusts back focus. It failed on my camera - it either hung, with "executing," displayed, or it displayed the error message, "NG - timeout."

So, when I talked to the folks at the San Jose Sony service center (the only place in the U.S. that is servicing the camera) I got the distinct impression that this was a known issue. My camera serial number ends in 375, which leads me to believe it's 'early' in the series.

Can anyone point me to locations (other forums, weblink, etc.) where a failed lens servo is discussed?

Thanks,
sbelcap

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX 1 Lens Servo Fails
on Feb 23, 2008 at 3:59:44 pm

Ok, I'm not alone.

Look further down (a couple of weeks back now) and I also had a servo issue. Zoom would begin to "step" or stop completely at low speeds. I don't want to repeat the whole story hear but YES, it's a known issue although few have posted about it. On the various boards I visit one person from Finland also saw it so I don't think it's related to a batch or a region.

I sent Sony San Jose the camera. They attempted to "upgrade" (term they used) rather than repair the lens and couldn't. As a result I'll be receiving a new camera on Monday.

San Jose told me they were backlogged with service on two issues, this being one of them. They wouldn't tell me what the other one was (vignette).

I find the use of their term "upgrade" interesting. It implies they're making some sort of design or parts change. When I asked them if they meant "repair" they explicitly said the tech used the term "upgrade" and that involved changing the entire lens on the camera which they said they still had problems with, hence why they're sending me a new camera.

So SBelcap, you're not alone. There does seem to be a servo issue. I'm not sure why we're not seeing more of it in the various forums. In my case it specifically involved low zoom speeds. Your case is more severe than mine. The person in Finland was less severe than mind. So it sounds like the issue can range.

My serial number ends in 808 BTW.

People - REALLY check the lens zoom servos in your camera.

Return to posts index

SB Elcap
Re: EX 1 Lens Servo Fails
on Feb 23, 2008 at 5:57:53 pm

Thanks, Craig, the information you provided was extremely helpful. You can be sure that I'll be asking politely for a new replacement unit!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]