FORUMS: list search recent posts

shutter angle

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
randy Strome
shutter angle
on Dec 22, 2007 at 4:16:42 pm

Hi guys,

I have never owned a camera with a shutter angle option (but I am looking forward to it). I love the "stuttered" effect of a low shutter angle. If I understand correctly electronic shutters are actually adjusting time of exposure per image, not physical shutter angle, so my question:

How does this differ from shutter speed?

Beginner stuff for most here, I am sure, but please help my weak mind grasp this :).

Thanks,
Randy

Return to posts index

randy Strome
Re: shutter angle-add on
on Dec 23, 2007 at 1:26:13 am

I guess a better way of asking would be:

is shutter angle just a different means of defining time of exposure per image (angle rather than fractional exposure time)for those who are used to cameras that have defined this way, or is there something extra here that I am missing?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 23, 2007 at 6:44:59 pm

Randy,

Some light reading (pun fully intentional) about the principles and differences of shutter speed and shutter angle, and how they work together to achieve the look you want. The article talks about how this translates into the video camera world.

http://www.tech-notes.tv/Archive/tech_notes_035.htm

Oh, and I found this for you:

[randy Strome] "In terms of 35 mm, what is the equivalance with this 14x lens?"

The 14x lens zoom range is 5.8 - 81.2 mm, which is about 31 - 440 mm in 35 mm still camera terms.

- Don

Return to posts index

randy Strome
on Dec 23, 2007 at 7:23:03 pm

Great info Don,

That explains it really well. I stumbled across this as well:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3079

I wish I could just come across a term I don't understand and just move on, but I get snagged instead. Thanks for your info.

I would be very interested in seeing what 720 60P or 1080 30P still looks like at a low shutter angle/quick exposure when shooting a quick moving subject.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Dec 24, 2007 at 9:40:48 am

[Don Greening] "The article talks about how this translates into the video camera world."

thanks don
i hadnt known what it means either, quite weird how a 1999 article can look so dated - plain text, no images or colours, and also their email addresses, @aol and @compuserve - hee hee...

mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]