FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using XDCAM EX 35Mbps HQ footage with Avid

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Brad Kean
Using XDCAM EX 35Mbps HQ footage with Avid
on Dec 21, 2007 at 11:06:35 pm

I wanted to use XDCAM EX 35Mbps HQ full 1920x1080 footage in Avid so I wrote a program to convert Sony's mp4 files to DNxHD quicktimes (it's a wrapper for ffmpeg). I figure other people might be interested so I'll temporarily post it here:

http://www.entitynine.com/xdcamex/XDCAM_EX_to_Avid_0.5.zip

If you set your import settings in Avid properly (maintain, square pixels and 709 color space), Avid will Fast Import your quicktime with no additional transcoding (besides the mp4 to quicktime translation). This isn't an Avid product and it's the first version, so use at your own risk. That said, it's worked successfully for me for getting footage into MCSoft on both PC & Mac and also into a Nitris.

Brad

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Using XDCAM EX 35Mbps HQ footage with Avid
on Dec 22, 2007 at 4:19:37 am

You wrote a program to convert the files? I guess that's pretty impressive. I have a hard time writing my wife a note.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Gary Alan
on Dec 25, 2007 at 5:12:06 pm

Steve,

I have not had any problems writing your wife notes. LOL
J/K

Happy Holidays,
Gary

Mac Pro 3Ghz Intel Dual Duo, 6GB RAM, 30" ACD
MacBook Pro 17"
Sony XDCAM EX with a Sachtler Tripod System

Return to posts index

Jan van Droffelaar
on Mar 7, 2008 at 2:02:00 pm

Does this also work on HQ1080/50i? What will be my target bitrate be 36, 115 or 175?

thanks in advance...

regards,
Jan van Droffelaar
The Netherlands

Return to posts index

Rick Dolishny
on Mar 26, 2008 at 1:29:15 pm

Brad, what is your website and can I sign up for updates and a donate now/buy now button? Your product is a lifesaver until Avid or Sony get their act together.

---
Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader
http://www.thecreativeprocess.ca

Return to posts index

Rick Dolishny
on Mar 26, 2008 at 2:00:56 pm

I'm not sure if the Avid quick import is working here. I have a 3 minute clip that looks like it's taking over 10 minutes. Any other Avid settings I need to be aware of?

---
Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader
http://www.thecreativeprocess.ca

Return to posts index

Justin Inda
on Apr 22, 2008 at 6:25:30 pm

Wow this sounds like a likesaver for anyone using a MAC Avid since even now sony only offers a PC version of this.

I downloaded but wasn't able to install - what are the system specs needed for this and does this only work with the clip browser?

Thanks

Justin

Return to posts index

Larry Morales
on Jul 28, 2008 at 7:14:47 pm

Brad....

Is it possible for you to create a link to your wonderful solution for a macpro with leopard?
the one that's on the cow seems to be for Windows.

I've 35 mb quicktimes (that i cannot see) shot with the sony ex1 that i want to import into an avid
media composer(software).

if you've an idea of how i can see them with quicktime pro that would be swell too !

thanks much.

LM

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 28, 2008 at 7:39:31 pm

Not sure if this helps but the new Sony Clip Browser 2 now as an export to "MXF for NLEs" which supposedly will save the source MP4s to a format that works in Avid on Mac.

Return to posts index

Larry Morales
on Jul 28, 2008 at 8:25:04 pm

thanks, mate.
any idea how i can see a quicktime movie with the xdcam ex 1080p24(35mbs/vbr codec?
i've quicktime pro... it plays the audio portion but is black for video.
thanks youse.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 28, 2008 at 8:36:21 pm

Generally only a Mac with FCP 6.0.2 and up will play it. That's why it's always a good idea to back up the source BPAV folders rather than the MOV files created by XDCAM Transfer tool.

You could try MPEGStreamclip although since I have FCP on all my system I'm not 100% it's playing for me in that because I have the codec installed already.

Return to posts index

Vincent Soekra
on Dec 5, 2010 at 5:14:54 pm

I'm using your http://www.entitynine.com/xdcamex/XDCAM_EX_to_Avid_0.5.zip to transfer but can't import DNxHD quicktimes into my Avid Xpress Pro HD, which are larger than 4 Gb. It says that the format is not dupported by Avid.
However, I have imported other clips from the same project easily. They seemed to be smaller than 4 Gb.
the source material was shot on XDCam EX, and I convert 35 bps 1080.mp4 files tot DNxHD quicktimes.
Can you help me out here?

I can't import DNxHD quicktimes into my Avid Xpress Pro HD, which are larger than 4 Gb. It says that the format is not dupported by Avid.
However, I have imported other clips from the same project easily. They seemed to be smaller than 4 Gb.
the source material was shot on XDCam EX, and I convert 35 bps 1080.mp4 files tot DNxHD quicktimes.
Can someone help me out here?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 5, 2010 at 7:12:44 pm

Hi Vincent,
4 GBs is the limit file size on the FAT-32 formatted HDs.
For any chance are you downloading to one of those HDs?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]