FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX SxS Cards in Mac Pro ExpressCard/34 slot?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Douglas
EX SxS Cards in Mac Pro ExpressCard/34 slot?
on Dec 21, 2007 at 4:10:26 pm

I'm considering the EX and a new Mac Pro, so answers to the following questions would be a great help.

Has anyone used the EX SxS Cards in a Mac Pro ExpressCard/34 slot yet?

Did it just mount on the Desktop or is software required?

Are the Video files QuickTime's or do they have to be converted, if so is it time consuming?

What kind of transfer speeds are you seeing?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays to you all.

Bob Douglas
FX Productions
http://www.fxpro.net

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX SxS Cards in Mac Pro ExpressCard/34 slot?
on Dec 21, 2007 at 5:54:08 pm

[Bob Douglas] "Has anyone used the EX SxS Cards in a Mac Pro ExpressCard/34 slot yet? "

Yes. A Mac Pro is a desktop and doesn't have an Express 34 slot. A Macbook Pro is a laptop and does have the slot.

[Bob Douglas] "Did it just mount on the Desktop or is software required? "

It won't mount on the desktop without the software driver from Sony which is free.

[Bob Douglas] "Are the Video files QuickTime's or do they have to be converted, if so is it time consuming?"

You need the XDCAM Transfer software to transfer the the files, which is also free from Sony. The files are in an .mp4 wrapper and the transfer software will convert them to QT .mov files during the transfer. The above software comes included on a disc with shipping PMW EX1 cameras and is also available from the Sony web site as a free download.

[Bob Douglas] "What kind of transfer speeds are you seeing?"

Around 9 times real time.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/856240

- Don

Return to posts index

Bob Douglas
on Dec 21, 2007 at 6:20:51 pm

Yes, I meant MacBook Pro, thanks for the correction!

So does the Sony Transfer Software do the Conversion to Quicktime while moving the files off the flash cards at 9X? Or, do you have to move them first, then do the conversion? I'm just curious as to how much extra time the QT conversion adds to the process?

Bob

Bob Douglas
FX Productions
http://www.fxpro.net

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 21, 2007 at 6:31:10 pm

[Bob Douglas] "So does the Sony Transfer Software do the Conversion to Quicktime while moving the files off the flash cards at 9X?"

That's correct. There is no extra time added for conversion during the transfer because the actual file is not being re-written, the .mp4 wrapper is simply being removed.

- Don

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Dec 24, 2007 at 9:46:44 am

yeah, as don says, when you are importing the stuff to you macbook, the conversion process is invisible and the transfer is extremely fast... I think its about than twice as fast as doing it from the camera to computer via USB.
mark.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 24, 2007 at 11:45:22 am

[Mark Palmos] " think its about than twice as fast as doing it from the camera to computer via USB."

It's reportedly up to 9 times faster than real time, Mark.

- Don

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Dec 24, 2007 at 12:54:43 pm

hey don
yeah, 9x real time, but i think the usb is about 4x real time... hence my maths ;-)
catcha later mate
mark.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 24, 2007 at 9:38:31 pm

Understood.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 25, 2007 at 1:31:55 am

I'm only getting 1.3x via USB to my G5 Dual desktop. Yes it's a USB2 port. Yes the hard drive is 7200rpm of course. I was hoping for something close to 3x. I'll get a MacBookPro laptop eventually as well as MacPro.

I'd really hope someone comes out with a PCIe card with Express port or, hope against hope, Apple announces that they're including such ports (even as a build to order) in their next round of MacPro updates.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Dec 26, 2007 at 1:09:53 pm

[Craig Seeman] "
I'm only getting 1.3x via USB to my G5 Dual desktop. Yes it's a USB2 port."

Hi Craig
there must be something wrong here mate!
ive just plugged the camera with the sony clip software and drivers installed into my 6 year old PC with xp and timed the import of a HQ (35mbps) 2minute41 second clip... 35 seconds. So it should definitely be a little faster than 4x with USB2.

I dont know what to suggest, i know on PC's sometimes you have to remove the usb drivers then restart windows to have it able to see usb2 for the fist time ("enhanced usb") - perhaps some mac fundi can help you out there.
Mark.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 26, 2007 at 2:57:34 pm

Mark, an EX1 user on another Forum with an Intel Mac Quad 2.66GHz told me they're only getting 2x.

Can others post their USB transfer speeds and computer used? I'm wondering if there's a Mac USB issue or maybe some sort of Mac specific driver issue.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Dec 26, 2007 at 10:28:20 pm

Hi Craig
I did a test where i used usb on my macbook instead of the memory stick, and it took 30 secs to copy a folder containing a 2min2second clip (536 MB)... same 4x speed as the PC using USB2.
till later
Mark.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 27, 2007 at 1:45:44 am

I'm using the XDCAM Transfer Software 2.1.
As I mentioned I got about 1.3x on my G5
On my Intel Mac Mini (not my edit box obviously) I got about 1.8x
Using the Sony Clip Browser 1.1 software on my 1 year old Dell 2.8Ghhz Dual it wasn't much faster than real time either going from MP4 to MXF.

Maybe I'm timing this differently than you.
G5 dragging BPAV folder with 2:04 minute clip to desktop - 53 seconds - 2.3x
Intel Mini doing same as above - 30 seconds - 4x

Based on my Intel Mini drag and drop I'm getting 4x but I was timing import into FCP (to MOV) on Mac and Clip Browser to MXF on PC.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Dec 27, 2007 at 1:28:26 pm

hi craig
I was timing by pressing command C on the folder on the camera's card in the camera, and pressing command V on the desktop - so a basic copy and paste from camera to computer... which is 4x on both mac and pc.
i think there is something wrong with the G5 usb. It is faster than one would expect from USB1 but slower than USB2. Maybe some virus check or something is going on to slow the process?
mark

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 27, 2007 at 2:47:02 pm

Thanks for the info. So I'm getting 4x on Intel and probably the same on my Windows box using basic cut and paste.

I believe historically there was a little publicized design issue on G5s with the USB2 that made it significantly slower than it should be. At the time I think Apple was focusing on Firewire as the way of the future and just gave USB2 the short shrift.

The thing that frightens me about the Copy Paste is that it's easy for an assistant to overwrite one folder with another . . . and then manually delete it off the card. It just seems like a high risk workflow. I'd rather have the files imported via software and deleted from card via software.

BTW there's no way to delete the clips off the card via software (Clip Browers or NLE Xfer tool) as far as I can tell.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 27, 2007 at 3:20:41 pm

[Craig Seeman] "BTW there's no way to delete the clips off the card via software (Clip Browers or NLE Xfer tool) as far as I can tell. "

I wish I was at home so I could repeat what I did the first time, but.......using the Sony Xfer software within FCP all I did was use "select all" to highlight all the clips on the card and then press the "Delete" key on the keyboard and the card was wiped of all the media clips. When I put the card back in the camera there were no clips on the card at all. I recorded another clip right away and the card read that there was only one clip recorded. As soon as we're back home in the new year I'll give it another go.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 27, 2007 at 3:31:49 pm

Don, Delete is always grayed out for me on both my Macs. I've tried as you suggested but it just doesn't work for me.

In fact the Xfer manual says you can't.

See page 20 of its manual
a) This command cannot be executed in the following cases.
When the source is an SxS memory card or a folder with the same file structure as XDCAM EX.

Return to posts index

David Koegler
on May 24, 2008 at 10:46:08 pm

Hi Craig,

You may already have found an answer to your question, but having just bought the EX1 and shooting a grad ceremony today, I finished importing subclips to an external 1 TB drive, then trid to delete the files on my SxS card, using XDCam Transfer, and experienced the same frustration as you. Can't be done.

My workaround was to use XDCam EX Clip Browser, which you probably already have, load the files into that program, select them all, then use the delete command, and it worked.

Dave

MacBook Pro/FCP/etc

Return to posts index

Roland Manuel
on Jan 1, 2008 at 1:04:30 pm

The front USB on my original G5 was only a 12mb one or whatever the slow speed usb is. The rear ones are the faster ones. That may explain slower speeds on transfer.

Return to posts index

Allen Cavedo
on Apr 1, 2008 at 11:28:33 pm

I joined this forum yesterday so i don't know if anyone reads these older posts but i have a question about the transfer process.

Would someone please tell me why Sony puts a .mp4 'wrapper' around each .mov clip? What is that for? Seems that it only complicates things by having to be stripped off by XDCAM Transfer. Imagine if you could simply drag and drop the clips in .mov format. I have read many articles about the EX1 and not found an answer to this mystery.

A friend with an HVX200 kids me about how FCP supports DVCHD natively from the P2 cards with no 'stripping'.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Apr 2, 2008 at 6:39:42 am

[Allen Cavedo] "why Sony puts a .mp4 'wrapper' around each .mov clip"

Hi Allen
I suspect why you have not found any info on this is because the clips were never MOV files in the first place!
It is Apple that has to put them i a MOV wrapper so FCP can see them!
in an ideal world, Apple would be a LOT better at seeing non Apple file formats like WMV MPEG mp4 etc...
cheers
Mark.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 2, 2008 at 2:17:43 pm

The actual "essence" as Sony calls it is MPEG2 Long GOP wrapped in MP4. On Windows Sony Clip Browser rewraps to MXF. On Mac the Transfer Tool rewraps to MOV. I know there are a far number of Mac users who aren't using Final Cut Pro who'd like to rewrap to MXF on the Mac side too since that is something most professional NLEs can handle

Return to posts index

Daniel DeVivo
on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:55:05 am

This topic is ancient so perhaps an update could be offered by someone in the know? I'm about to begin using the Sony PMW-300K1 (the update to the EX3) and I also have the 2010 Macbook Pro 17". So, provided that I have the proper software installed, will i be able to simply insert the SXS card into the Express Card Slot and have it work? And lastly, has anyone discovered the best method for exporting and rewrapping into an MXF File from FCP? THANKS!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]