Building an HD edit suite - a few ?'s
I'm in the process of seeing what I need to assemble an HD edit suite. Here's what I'm thinking so far.
- I'm looking very strongly at the XDCAM EX
- Mac Pro Workstation
- I need to integrate existing DVCPro (w/SD-SDI in/out) into workflow
Here are my questions.
- I'm doing research on capture cards. Which is "best" for digital capture.(HD-SDI and SD-SDI for existing DVCPro). I know both AJA and Blackmagic are the standards. I'm running Blackmagic decklink extreme for my current SD setup and i'm happy with it.
- Video Monitor. OK, what's the deal with monitoring video. I know purists would tell me I have to buy a "studio HD monitor", but why can't I buy an HD plasma or LCD from B+H? I can get twice the monitor (size-wise) for less than half the cost. I know there are some advantages to a true "studio monitor", but is there really? What are the advantages? If I decide to run a "regular" (non-studio) monitor, how would I integrate that into the system? I'm not sure what kind of monitor outputs the different cards have. Is there some kind of handy-dandy device that allows me to convert to HDMI to monitor?
- I work at a University. I need a server setup that others in the Marketing/PR dept can access. I will be the only person editing, so i'm the only one who needs to access the video files. How much storage would you recommend? I constantly re-use the same video footage. Right now I have a 1 Tb firewire drive full of SD stuff. About 50-60% is constantly used on all the different projects. Would you recommend fibre or SCSI. I'm not sure how far away the server will be, as the new building has not yet been built.
- Since I'm considering the XDCAM EX, storage of media is an issue. Some workflow maps show backing up video to XDCAM HD disks. Firewire drives are also very cost effective now. I just purchased a Lacie 2tb drive for about $850. What think you?
Mac G5 dual 2.5's
2.5 gig ram
Final Cut Pro HD 5.0.3
and all the studio goodies
After Effects 6.5