FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1: No feedbacks. What's going on?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Amador
EX1: No feedbacks. What's going on?
on Dec 18, 2007 at 2:54:54 pm

What happens?
Many of you have the EX1 since a couple of weeks already. And not a simple commentary. Please, share a little:-)
Rafael
PS; Mine is, hopefully, coming on January.

PPC G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM/BlackMagic SD/PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM
JVC DTV-17"/FCS2/AE CS3/COMBUSTION/SHAKE

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1: No feedbacks. What's going on?
on Dec 18, 2007 at 3:42:11 pm

In the COW Blogs. Hmm, maybe COW should link the relevant blogs to the relevant lists

http://blogs.creativecow.net/node/333

http://blogs.creativecow.net/node/331

http://blogs.creativecow.net/node/332

http://blogs.creativecow.net/node/334

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 18, 2007 at 5:41:08 pm

[Rafael Amador] "Please, share a little:-) "

Ask and ye shall receive ;)

I was going to start a new thread but after seeing your pleading, Raf, I'll just add to this one.

This is for those who want to learn more about transferring media files directly from the SxS Pro memory card into their Macbook Pro using the Express 34 slot.

Once you have the XDCAM EX Clip Browser software, the XDCAM Transfer software and the FAM driver installed an your Macbook Pro just insert the card and it shows up on the desktop right away. Here's my situation: At the moment I don't have FCP 6.0.2 installed on my laptop yet, only on my Mac Pro desktop machine. I'm still using FCP 5.1.4 on the Macbook Pro. So.....I can see and play back the video using the clip browser software but the video "images" are missing when I use the XDCAM transfer software. The clips are there and can certainly be transferred using the transfer software but the "images" are missing in the viewer window. Strange that one of the Sony programs can show the actual footage but the other one can't. And once the files are transferred Quicktime won't show the video because the XDCAM codec is missing. Just remember that if you have FCP 6.0.2 on your laptop my problems (at the moment) won't be your problems. BTW, I do have OS v.10.4.11 and QT v. 7.3.1 on my laptop so make sure you have these software updates on your machine as well.

Once the files were transferred to the laptop I wanted to reformat the SxS Pro memory card using the laptop. The card shows up in Disk Utility just fine and tells me the card is formatted in "MS-DOS File System (FAT32)". So from the drop down menu I chose to reformat the card using "MS-DOS File System". It completes the reformat and I put the card back in the EX1 but the camera didn't like the formatting and told me to reformat the card. Obviously Disk Utility is not formatting the card in FAT32 or it's in a FAT32 flavor that the camera doesn't like. So that worked well. Not.

Anyway, the workaround is to transfer the files using the Sony transfer software then select all the clips on the card and choose DELETE. The transfer software will ask for confirmation and then it will delete all the clips off the card. Once the card is back in the camera it shows there's nothing on it. So, I guess as long as you can fill up the card again with clips what does it matter if the card is actually reformatted or just emptied instead.

Make sure the write-protect switch on the card is pushed to the off position or you won't be able to delete anything off the card using your laptop. And before you pull the card out of the Express 34 slot you should highlight the card icon and choose EJECT (Apple-E) or you'll get a warning dialogue that says you were really stupid and that you should eject the SxS Pro memory card properly.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 18, 2007 at 6:17:57 pm

Although I won't have the camera until tomorrow (FINALLY) I understand there's a KEY difference between format and delete. You can store your settings on the card. If you format you'll lose those. If you're doing a mutli-cam shoot you can copy those settings to other EX1 cameras.

Now I wonder about copying those settings to one's desktop (or whatever) so that you can have a collection of them and load in the ones as needed.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 18, 2007 at 6:47:22 pm

[Craig Seeman] "If you format you'll lose those."

As long as the camera will fully over-write the deleted files I'm going to always do a delete instead of a reformat.

When you get your camera tomorrow there's one thing I know you won't like. The hand grip is so far away from the centre of gravity that it's virually impossible to hold it with just your right hand and keep it level. For its size it's a heavy little beast. But that's okay. I'm still keeping it :)

I also ordered the W/A adapter when I ordered the camera and the adapter is still on back order.

- Don

Return to posts index

Will Schmidt
on Dec 19, 2007 at 12:03:39 am

I've had my EX1 for about a week, and am very pleased. IMHO a high quality feature rich camera at a reasonable price. Hope it proves to be as robust as other Sony Cameras I've used over the years.

Relieved to report the camera doesn't exhibit the vignetting problems mentioned by other early purchasers.

Solid construction puts it on the slightly heavy side however I actually like that since it forces you to hold the thing properly.

Rotating grip, forward placement of the LCD (similar to the Z1),lens controls well positioned on the side and underneath all combine for a nicely designed package for hand held shots.

Beautifully sharp LCD with expanded focus viewing is great.

Manual focus and professional iris control, very nice!

Menu selector drum on back is too small and fiddly, the toggle selector on top is much better.

Camera/off/Media switch although recessed for protection is also a bit fiddly.

14x lens is quite short but I guess that's part of the compromise for overall size and 1/2" chips, so I can't
quibble.

Auto focus is a bit slow and easily confused, solid manual focus overrides that issue for me.

Would have been nice to see a momentary auto iris switch.

That's about it

Cheers,
Will

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 19, 2007 at 1:28:09 am

[Will Schmidt] "Menu selector drum on back is too small and fiddly, the toggle selector on top is much better. "

Couldn't agree more. I tried using it once and have used the joystick on top ever since. Perhaps if the drum wheel had a thin rubber covering on it or something....

[Will Schmidt] "Camera/off/Media switch although recessed for protection is also a bit fiddly."

Also agree. I guess the trade off here is that you don't don't want something that is easily activated by mistake. Maybe more rubber or anything that has more friction.

BTW, welcome to Creative COW and thanks for the feedback, Will.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Ours arrives tomorrow
on Dec 19, 2007 at 5:54:51 am

Ours will arrive from BandPro on Wednesday afternoon. We are getting only the basic kit to begin with and have a big wish list and second camera already on order.

Our first test will be to put it next to the F-900 and check for color match, sensitivity, overall picture differences.

And then, we'll dive into the whole clip transfer thing. We don't have Final Cut (not quite Pro) 6 on either the laptop or the MacPro. I guess it's time.

Imagine, a camera that actually records an HD format the we can use and sell today. And, it has sound built right in, with dials to control the levels. The coolest part is that when it's delivered, the viewfinder and LCD panel will actually be functional. My crew is upset that two cards will hold 140 minutes of footage. Here they thought that they would be getting a smoke break every 4 minutes And, for $17,500, I can almost buy three of them (with batteries, lenses, LCDs, viewfinders and a handle to hold the thing.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Ours arrives tomorrow
on Dec 19, 2007 at 6:12:13 am

[Steve Wargo] "Sorry, I couldn't resist"

"Resistance is futile" anyway.

What you'll really find amazing is that you can use the flip-out screen for critical focus. Sure, sure, guffaw away, but wait until you try it and then see if you're still laughing ;0

- Don

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 19, 2007 at 12:01:19 pm

Dear friends,
Thanks a lot. Those are the kind of post I like to have for breakfast:-)
BTW, what about prices?
I've got a "Bundle offer' including;
- The camera (off course).
- A Petrol bag.
- Azden Shot gun Mic.
- 1 Extra 8Gb Express card.
- Two years Mack warranty.
Total; 7.010 US$.
How are those prices compared with the USA and canada?
rafael

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 19, 2007 at 6:26:19 pm

The screen is great, the pictures are great - simply best camera for the price EVER!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
It's here
on Dec 19, 2007 at 10:48:55 pm

Camera arrived today at noon and I am in total awe of what we have in front of us. We have 2 DSR300s that we are retiring and now I feel good about it.

This is one amazing piece of gear and it has none of the problems that turned me against the HVX200 the first time I saw on in action.

More later

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: It's here
on Dec 20, 2007 at 12:28:29 am

Here Too Finally! Don't you hate "me too" posts. I'll have some intelligent things to say later.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
For Rafael
on Dec 19, 2007 at 11:38:42 pm

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, Raf. I paid $6999.00 CDN for just the camera. Don't forget that Sony has a mail-in rebate for a free 8 gig card. Make sure your supplier gives you the Sony mail-in form when you get your camera.

- Don

Return to posts index

Joe Yaggi
on Dec 20, 2007 at 1:37:26 am

Hi Rafa,

Looks like the Expandore package? Do they have them in stock? And do you know if we need to pay/book/reserve by the end of the year to get that free 8 gig card?

Thanks!

Joe

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 20, 2007 at 5:03:55 am

Don,
i have to look this of the SONY rebate. Normally those offers are only for the US and Canada. You don't know how lucky you are over there.

Joe,
Yes I've picked the Expandore offer. Now It doesn't show up now in their web site, but you can reach it in this link:
http://www.expandore.biz/bproduct_detail.asp?productid=1760

I know that they still have the camera in stock, but not extras batteries, Express cards etc.
I told them to hold the camera there till everything is ready. I wont to buy them an AJA IOHD and a LaCie BlueRay driver too. M wife will kill me when she will see my Christmast presents.
I will open a blog about:-)
rafael

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 20, 2007 at 6:02:29 am

[Rafael Amador] "I will open a blog about:-)"

You should!

- Don

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Dec 20, 2007 at 4:14:52 pm

[Rafael Amador] "M wife will kill me when she will see my Christmast presents.
I will open a blog about:-)"

Never mind as you will be dead. However, some things are just plain worth it. I am so happy that we never caved into that whole HVX200 thing. What turned me off the first day was that the highlights went yellow above 100% and the blacks were noisy. I see none of that with the EX1.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 20, 2007 at 6:08:02 pm

Steve,
I was about to buy an HDVX200 too. Thanks God this time I've been patient.
Otherwise probably now i would be posting in eBay instead of in the Cow.
Today I've shown to my wife the EX1 brochure to start to prepare her psicologically. However, after Christmast Eve, I'll hide the big kitchen knives.
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 20, 2007 at 6:16:04 pm

[Rafael Amador] "I was about to buy an HDVX200 too. Thanks God this time I've been patient."

Me too. I was really excited about the HVX200 until I saw the issues. I won't list them here but it wasn't want I wanted to being patient wasn't too difficult.

[Rafael Amador] "Today I've shown to my wife the EX1 brochure to start to prepare her psicologically. However, after Christmast Eve, I'll hide the big kitchen knives. "

My wife is really excited about the camera. She has projects in mind already. We did shoot some video around the kitchen and when we examined the video she commented on how messy the kitchen looked. You can sure see a LOT of detail.

Return to posts index

Joe Yaggi
on Dec 22, 2007 at 4:03:11 am

Hey thanks Rafa,

So I guess the big question is...

Are we going to be broadcast compatible with the EX? Who will accept it and maybe more important, who won't?

Nat Geo?
Discovery?
BBC?
Euro broadcasters?
N American broadcasters?

We're focusing more on Nat History / Enviro / Factual TV stuff.

This is the main reason I've been holding out as long as humanly possible...

Thanks and happy holidays!

Joe

Joe Yaggi
Creative Supervisor, Director, DP
Jungle Run Productions
http://www.jungle-run.com

Filmmakers for Conservation (FFC) - co-President, Executive Board
TVE (Television Trust for the Environment) - Indonesia Representative
ProFauna Indonesia - Advisory Board

t: +62.361.975378 (+fax), 979110, 979109
m: +62.8123.813.887
PO Box 455
Ubud, Bali 80571

"When attempting the impossible. it's important to surround yourself with positive influences and a strong team."
Todd Skinner

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 22, 2007 at 4:51:54 am

Hi Joe,
One of the reason I've step in the EX1 is to try o do things for abroad. For Laos my DVCam will still do the job. But even if I end up in SD, I want to start to shoot in HD. Archiving is very important for me because this place is changing so fast that things that you don't film now, soon will be gone forever. I'm keeping every single tape I shoot since I arrived here.
I had a look to your web site and is great. I wish i could have a team as your's here in Lao, but I find my self "alone in the jungle".
Would be interesting to put sometime together all the South East Asia film resources.
Enjoy the Christmas and your EX1 too.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]