FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDCAM EX to QuickTIme Possible?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Bates
HDCAM EX to QuickTIme Possible?
on Dec 13, 2007 at 7:22:42 pm

Hello,

I am just trying to get a QuickTime movie out of the files on the SxS cards. I do not have Final Cut, (I use After Effects), so i just need a QT. What is the quickest way to do this?

This may be a separate issue, but When I try to use XDCAM Transfer, it sees the cards in the camera, but "no image is available". So, any file transfer option is not available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil Bates
http://www.artbeats.com

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: HDCAM EX to QuickTIme Possible?
on Dec 14, 2007 at 10:13:15 am

you might want to double check whether Adobe have the quicktime codecs for XDCAM ... I've a feeling that you'll need to purchase FCP to get the codecs

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
Re: XDCAM EX to QuickTIme Possible?
on Dec 14, 2007 at 1:56:08 pm

You can get a QuickTime movie from SxS card with XDCAM Transfer 2.1 even when you don't have the Apple codecs installed (which is probably why XDT says 'No Image Available').

Go to XDCAM Transfer > Preferences > General tab and select 'Import clips with no installed codec'. As it says there, if the appropriate codecs are not installed you won't be able to view or edit the imported movies on your computer - but you could send them to someone else!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 15, 2007 at 4:40:17 pm

Has anyone yet acquired actual HD VIDEO directly into their edit system via the SDI out from the camera?

Return to posts index

Dylan Reeve
on Dec 17, 2007 at 1:13:48 am

Biggest problem with that approach is lack of metadata (ie timecode). I've got a demo camera from Sony at the moment, so I'll try to do so in the next few days.

Return to posts index

Juan Martinez
on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:40:31 pm

Hi,

I work for Sony. Yes, it is possible to capture recorded data via the HDSDI. IN case of 24P recordings please note that the Ex1 always adds 3-2 pulldown when outputting 24p footage via the HDSDI. This is to allow monitoring with a wide array of displays. The NLE can remove 3-2 and extract the 24P cadence as the A frames always fall on the 0 and 5 frame. You can also capture EE (live video) via HDSDI. Please note that the EE signal is full HD resolution 1920x1080 or 1280x720 4:2:2, 10-bit.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager, Sony Electronics.

Juan Martinez

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 20, 2007 at 11:43:42 am

Thanks Juan. Is the audio embedded when you take video out from HD-SDI? My Media 100 can't take in embedded audio, do Sony do any kind of 'splitter'?

Return to posts index

Antonio Ribeiro
on Mar 30, 2010 at 10:50:14 pm

Hi,

very interesting read. I also own an EX1 and will be doing a job in a few weeks time, capturing lot's of green screen footage in a studio. Would it be recommended to install a MacPro with a Multibridge and some decent drive space, to capture directly from the HD-SDI output in the camera?

From what I read, I will gain better colour definition, due to the 4.2.2 10-bit capability. And if so, how do I go about capturing footage live from the camera with this kit? Do I need any additional piece of software/hardware?

Thanks, Antonio

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Dec 30, 2007 at 7:58:38 pm

We did that very test on Friday and the picture looked very good. We are prepping for a large green screen shoot and wanted to use the EX-1 instead of the F-900. We will complete the test on Wednesday and send some info. Please note that we output HD-SDI, not SD-SDI, to an onboard raid in a MacPro through a BMD card using 8 bit uncompressed.

If you are importing SD footage, expect some level of disappointment.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Dylan Reeve
Re: HDCAM EX to QuickTIme Possible?
on Dec 16, 2007 at 1:45:30 am

FFMpeg can decode the EX video, and can in turn recompress to a range of codecs - check out this blog post about converting to DNxHD video (the concept remains the same for other formats)

http://www.bolanski.com/ex/home/ffmpeg-is-your-friend/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]