FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 problems

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Wargo
EX-1 problems
on Dec 7, 2007 at 5:49:56 am

Ok, the EX1 has been released and then put on hold because of a problem. Does anyone have a report on what the issue might be?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Vignette issue - supposedly already fixed
on Dec 7, 2007 at 3:16:51 pm

How/where did you hear about the "hold?"

Some early users are reporting a vignetting issue in the 10mm-25mm range. It seems to favor one corner over others. While I don't have my camera yet, I did see this on the first camera (their show camera) they got in.

This issue was actually reported on the preproduction models (Adam Wilt for example). Sony was aware of it then and said it would be a bug that would be fixed in the production model.

Apparently some slipped through.

I've heard Sony say that only a few people are affected by this. Others have reported that Sony is NOT holding up shipping. Others, with the issue, have been told Sony already has the fix for this.

A few who've gotten the camera in some days after the first shipment are not seeing the issue.

That's why I wonder where you're hearing the "hold" report from. Is it from Sony, Sony service, a dealer/VAR, etc.?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Vignette issue - supposedly already fixed
on Dec 7, 2007 at 3:33:43 pm

[Craig Seeman] "While I don't have my camera yet, I did see this on the first camera (their show camera) they got in."

Criag, I'm suprised you don't have yours yet since you ordered long before I did. Mine came in on Wed. but I'm not picking it up until this morning (Pacific). I'll ask my broadcast supplier guy if he's heard anything else other than the vignetting issue. Also, I ordered the Sony wide angle adapter at the same time but it's on back order, at least here.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 7, 2007 at 5:44:02 pm

[Don Greening] "Criag, I'm suprised you don't have yours yet since you ordered long before I did. Mine came in on Wed."

My dealer got 2 in his first shipment. I was 3 on the list of course. I was told the end of this week (today) or early next week for next shipment but, not having heard anything, I'm wondering about Steve's comment which began this thread. I know of the issue but was told there was no delay in shipping (outside the already slow distribution).

Have you check yours for the vignette issue?

Someone said the following procedure is a reliable test methodology for the issue.

1. Set the EX1 for FULL manual control.

2. Set the cameras focus at infinity. (furthest focus range).

3. Position your camera on a tripod with "Steady Shot" OFF (OIS OFF).

4. Aim your camera on a white or neutral color wall (not black).

5. Start with camera at full wide (5.8mm) and zoom all the way in and verify
no objects come into your view throughout the zoom travel.

6. Do not over expose the image. Actually intentionally under expose the
image.

7. Now with your camera set to wide 5.8mm focal length, start recording.

8. While recording SLOWLY zoom up to 40mm. The problem is known to be
seen in the 10mm - 25mm range. So SLOWY zoom through this focal
range.

9. Import your footage into your computer and look for the vignetting issue.
IMPORTANT: When viewed on a monitor while recording, you may not see
the issue due to the monitors overscan. View your capture footage on your computer.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 7, 2007 at 5:57:21 pm

Craig,

I'm leaving in a few minutes to go get the camera. When I get back I'll charge up a battery and do the test. Luckily, I live about 15 minutes away from the Sony national repair facility, so if there's any problems........

This is one of the main reasons I chose to buy another Sony camera in the first place. Sony repair, at least here, is very fast. OTOH, Canon, at least here, takes at least a month and a half to get a repair done. Crazy.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 7, 2007 at 6:22:42 pm

My Sony authorized dealer is also a Sony authorized repair center. They guarantee that if they can't turn your camera around (repair) in 48 hours and you bought the camera from them, they'll give you a loaner. They've actually told me that if I needed the EX1 ASAP I can use their loaner unit until it comes in. Hence the 2 units they did get it is the "show" unit and their "loaner" unit.

I actually went in and put 3 hours play time on the camera. Actually it turned out it was a service to them since I already had a good grasp of the functions having played with it before and customers walking in got to see me use the camera.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Vignette issue - for Craig S.
on Dec 10, 2007 at 12:21:58 am

I did a vignette test today using your recommended method and found no problems with my EX1. You're probably safe too, then.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 10, 2007 at 6:38:05 pm

Great to hear. Maybe there is/was a disruption in shipping. I still haven't got mine yet. I don't doubt location may have something to do with delivery also. If they're shipping from California it might take a few days to get to NYC. Given that I still should get mine in the next couple of days.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 10, 2007 at 7:53:15 pm

[Craig Seeman] " Given that I still should get mine in the next couple of day"

Sure hope so. I'm getting lonely over here playing in the sandbox all by myself.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
YES there is a shipping delay Steve Wargo!
on Dec 12, 2007 at 2:27:52 pm

I got this from my dealer today -

"Hi Craig,

The cameras are currently being held in New Jersey for additional
quality control before they ship. Some guy in the UK claimed that there
was a vignetting problem with the camera so Sony put a hold on shipment
until they recheck each camera. I will keep you posted as I hear more
news."

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: YES there is a shipping delay Steve Wargo!
on Dec 13, 2007 at 3:18:54 pm

My NYC dealer just emailed me saying they will get their shipment end of next week. He had mentioned in a previous email that cameras were being held in New Jersey for QC by Sony due to the vignette issue.

Don, I notice you're in BC. I'd heard the Canadian shipment is OK so that may be why you got yours already.

It seems the biggest issues are in UK and parts of the USA.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: YES there is a shipping delay Steve Wargo!
on Dec 13, 2007 at 7:04:55 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Don, I notice you're in BC. I'd heard the Canadian shipment is OK so that may be why you got yours already."

Correct. Here I am on the Canadian WET coast and no one at the COW to talk EX1 geek stuff with because of the shipping hold up. BTW, this is my 2000th post. Don't I get a bottle of bubbly or something? CHEERS!

Now I'm off to do another low light test with EX1 vs PD170.

- Don

Return to posts index

Juan Martinez
on Dec 19, 2007 at 8:31:16 pm

Hi, I work for Sony. There were a very small percentage of cameras that exhibited vignetting. We set up several optical benches through the US to adjust the lens.

If you suspect that your camera is affected by this issue, please call our Product Operational Support Center hotline at 1-800-883-6817, option 2-5-2, for advice on how to proceed. When calling, please be prepared to supply the camcorder

Return to posts index

john
Re: EX-1 problems
by
on Dec 9, 2007 at 1:03:44 am

We have a issue with the HDSDI not being able to sync to a ioHD or a Kona 3 card. We put up some full frame pics at http://www.hd24p.com might be other issues.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]