FORUMS: list search recent posts

new EX1 + Avid Xpress Pro: compatible???

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
malcolm  Hamilton
new EX1 + Avid Xpress Pro: compatible???
on Dec 2, 2007 at 3:19:01 pm

Hi there,
I would very much like to buy the new Sony EX1 (for the last few months I've been renting HDV cameras and it's getting expensive), but I want to know for sure that if I shoot my next project (in mid-December) on an EX1, I'll be able to edit it. I run Avid Xpress Pro (version 5.7.5) on a Mac (right now non-Intel, but I'm getting a new Intel Mac Pro soon; right now OS I'm running 10.4.10, and probably sticking with it for a while before going to Leopard).

I'm not technically-gifted, shall we say, so I wasn't really able to understand this advice, that I got on another forum a few weeks ago:
"Avid Xpress and Media Composer has been able to use MXF for some time now. I'm thinking though that HQ files might have to be converted, after the MXF rewrap, to a DNXHD type file because currently there isn't an MPEG 2 35mbit codec for those platforms. So I'm guessing that may end up being a slow process. On import you'll have to choose a DNXHD codec like DNXHD 145 or DNXHD 110. Hopefully Avid will quickly adopt a new long GOP 35mbit setting like they did for HDV "smart splicing" in a "near future" release. But, I'm sure you will be able to edit in any number of project types, including 720/60p, 1080/24p, etc.using DNXHD and use MXF vs. OMF. The SP datarate 25mbit should currently work fine, and should be much faster injest in an HDV project setting"

More recently, I got this note from a fellow Avid (though not Xpress Pro) editor:

Return to posts index

malcolm  Hamilton
Re: new EX1 + Avid Xpress Pro: compatible???
on Dec 4, 2007 at 9:01:57 pm

This hasn't stirred up much interest... possibly no Avid Xpress Pro editors out there who also shoot (as I hope to do) with the new EX1.
Nevertheless, I'll update with some info I just got.

I just heard from a guy who's got the EX1 and Avid Xpress Pro... but on a PC.
He can do this:
- shoot 25Mb/s
- export MXF files (via clip browser) to his PC
- import these MXF files into Avid Xpress Pro.

So now I know you can shoot with the EX1 (25Mb/s anyway) and edit it in Xpress Pro. On the PC side...

The only question now is:
will clip browser (for the Mac) export MXF files?

Cheers,
Malcolm

P.S. I'll post this on the CC Avid editing site as well. One way or another, I'm hoping to find someone who's shooting with the new EX1, and editing on AXP... on a Mac (what are the odds?)

Return to posts index

Bruce
on Dec 4, 2007 at 9:22:27 pm

So 25mbits is ok - what about 35mbits for high quality shooting? How will Avid cope with this?

Return to posts index

malcolm  Hamilton
on Dec 4, 2007 at 9:32:39 pm

Hi Bruce,
I suspect Avid will update, to allow for 35Mb/s... but who really knows when...
I just want to make sure I can get by in HDV (25Mb/s) mode in the meantime.
I'll post again if I get any more info.
cheers,
Malcolm

Return to posts index

Silje Boyum
on Jun 26, 2008 at 6:39:23 pm

Hi Malcolm,

Did you ever get clip browser to export MXF files? I'm working on the same equipment as you and I'm having the same problem...

Silje

Return to posts index

Malcolm  Hamilton
on Jun 26, 2008 at 8:39:44 pm

Hi, yes, got it working. Have to use Windows, just long enough to convert the files to mxf. Within a couple weeks, Sony will release the next version of Clip Browser, which (finally on a Mac) will do this.
That will simplify the workflow, and save a lot of time.
Cheers,
m.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]