FORUMS: list search recent posts

Orderd the PMWEX1 16G Card?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
betasp
Orderd the PMWEX1 16G Card?
on Oct 26, 2007 at 9:23:39 pm

Does anyone know when the 16G Card will be out on the Sony PMW-EX1? This camera will rock. (Ordered mine at Discount Video Warehouse from Lee Drady 6449.00 )(they have the yellow ads ) The website is DVWONLINE .com. Will Final Cut support this soon?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Orderd the PMWEX1 16G Card?
on Oct 27, 2007 at 6:20:34 pm

I ordered my EX1 at Armatosvideo in NYC. $6495. Great small dealer BTW.

They told me that they can't any info on when the 16GB will be available or the price.
Sandask had a press release in Sept saying Nov and $499 for 8GB and $899 for 16GB but I've heard since then that those prices may be in flux.

I believe Sony promises the appropriate software (for FCP and others) with camera or download by the time the camera ships.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 27, 2007 at 6:44:35 pm

[betasp] "Will Final Cut support this soon?"

Rumor has it that the next FCP update v.6.0.2 will have the ability to transfer the EX files right from the log and capture window.

What you can do now:

The PMW EX1 will ship with a software package that contains clip browser software for both Mac and PC. This will allow you to browse and copy clips from the camera to a hard drive.

Also included in the software package is the transfer plugin for FCP. You can mount either the camera or just the memory card in the Finder directly and then import your clips into FCP that way.

The log and transfer and proxie browsing software is also available as a free download at the Sony web site.

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=PMW-EX1&site=biz...

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 27, 2007 at 7:15:34 pm

The EX1 uses .mp4 extension rather than .mxf. Are you sure the updates posted can handle .mp4. There's no indication of that and references in the description mention disc based systems.

The proxy browsing software is PC only but even that's irrelevant since the EX1 does not record proxy files.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 27, 2007 at 10:42:42 pm

Craig,

All the info from my previous post comes from the EX brochure @ the Sony site.

http://www.sonybiz.net/res/attachment/file/09/1187079501109.pdf

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 27, 2007 at 11:00:38 pm

But NEITHER the viewer or the plugin are available YET. The Sony reps I've talked to said it will be online by the time the camera ships. The link you point do does not contain the viewer or plugin needed for the EX1.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 27, 2007 at 11:28:16 pm

[Craig Seeman] "The link you point do does not contain the viewer or plugin needed for the EX1."

I stand corrected. The brochure states that the software that ships with the EX will contain the items I referred to, and like you said, that same software will most likely become available online at the same time. My point was that there is a workflow available immediately upon opening your new EX box. OTOH, when the FCP update will arrive is anyone's guess.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 28, 2007 at 12:01:04 am

I heard the software might not be ready at the time it ships. If not it'll just be a download.

Return to posts index

rafalaos
on Nov 2, 2007 at 2:47:23 pm

Hi Don,
I've got not experience with XDCam so, please, explaind me this:
[Don Greening] "You can mount either the camera or just the memory card in the Finder directly and then import your clips into FCP"

In which format can you downlad the footage? Can you import the original format from the flash-memory?
My Idea is to try to keep the original files to archive in data BlueRay. XDCam Desks are too expensive.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 3, 2007 at 6:08:36 pm

I want to acquire the XDCAM EX footage into my edit system (Media 100) directly from the camera through the HD-SDI output as video rather than files. Can anyone see any problem with this? I won't want the media as files since Media 100 will not be supporting XDCAM Ex now if ever. I know the audio is embedded but will the output be video?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 3, 2007 at 7:08:29 pm

HD-SDI contains video, audio, timecode at 4:2:2 uncompressed. You'll not only need a video card capable of HD-SDI but you'll probably need a RAID 0 system too.

You might be better off getting a Final Cut Pro system if you're on a Mac or maybe Sony Vegas on Windows. It might be more cost effective.

Sony's Clip Browser, independent of any NLE, may be able to create an .MXF file that your system can handle.

While I may use SDI for studio work. limiting yourself to SDI limits yourself to no faster than real time transfer.

Card transfer speeds can hit 800mbps /100MBps. That would be 160 seconds for a 16GB card vs 50 minutes real time. Note their laptop specs include 2x 80GB Raid 0 to hit that speed so hard drive speeds seems to be the biggest bottleneck to throughput.
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/markets/10014/xdcamEX_media.s...

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 4, 2007 at 4:18:00 pm

Thanks Craig for your suggestions. I can only take HD media into Media 100 through HD-SDI and their video card will handle it (does now for taking in HD from the Convergent Design HD-Connect) but I was wanting to check that what comes out of the XDCAM Ex through SDI output is video not just files from the card.
I have 4TB's of storage and I don't mind the real time transfer which is how I acquire video at present. Actually I don't think that the Ex camera files are .MFX, I read somewhere that they are a 'wrapped' MPEG 4. As I said, my problem is that Media 100 don't (won't) support XDCAM but I want to stay with that system for editing and don't want to switch to Final Cut.

Too many fast changes in this business for an old man!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 4, 2007 at 5:30:20 pm

HD-SDI out of the EX1 is industry standard format.
The XDCAM files are wrapped in .mp4.
Sony is providing free Clip Browser software and they'll be various means to unwrap it.
Also the files are 1920x1080 rather than 1440x1080 found in F330/F350 but the Clip Browser may handle that too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]