FORUMS: list search recent posts

16X9 output by a SD DVD player?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
16X9 output by a SD DVD player?
on Oct 10, 2007 at 4:08:19 pm

Does a stand-alone SD DVD recorder exist that has an HD SDI, HDMI, HDV-firewire or HD-firewire input?

If yes, and I'm dubbing from the F70 XDCAM HD deck to that burner (and I know I

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: 16X9 output by a SD DVD player?
on Oct 10, 2007 at 4:13:31 pm

While I'm not knowledgeable about the particular kit you're talking about, in general, downconverters allow a choice of side cut, letterbox or squeeze. These three accommodate all uses, just refer to your instruction book for the appropriate menu setting.

JS

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Oct 17, 2007 at 1:44:37 pm

[Thomas Hughes] "Does a stand-alone SD DVD recorder exist that has an HD SDI, HDMI, HDV-firewire or HD-firewire input? "

Not to my knowledge, YET.

[Thomas Hughes] "If yes, and I'm dubbing from the F70 XDCAM HD deck to that burner (and I know I

Return to posts index

Fazz Powell
on Jan 14, 2008 at 9:38:09 pm

I've been seaching high and low for a 16x9 DVD-R for making client proofs before encoding the master on our Sonic SD-1000 encoder. I've stumbled upon the Toshiba DR-400 it records the 16x9 flag correctly, whereas if your DVD playback is set to 4x3, it will be letterboxed, if your playback DVD is set to 16x9 it plays back widescreen. And this puppy has a firewire input. The default "menu" is kinda ugly and I'm trying to figure out how to turn it off all together, but for burning 16x9 proofs this is a winner!

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Jan 15, 2008 at 12:30:50 am

Fazz,

Based on your post, I just ordered one! I hope you're right - I'd given up hope.

The description I read, listed it as having an HDMI connection but it didn't mention firewire.

I'll give it a shot! Thanks so much.

-Thomas

Return to posts index

Fazz Powell
on Jan 15, 2008 at 1:00:09 am

Yeah I was totally blown away when I found this ability buried in this non-discript and cheap burner, I've been searching for months, as we've gone through hoops to letterbox our 16x9 jobs just for the proofing stage. I bought this unit as a default and when reading the manual thought it was a misprint it would record 16x9. On the Avid boards I've recieved replys the Sony GX3 and HX710 also record 16x9. (HX710 also does a 15Mbps datarate...nice) Those appear to be UK models, and I don't know if I want to deal with a grey market unit.
They list Firewie as "DV in". It's on the front panel. I'm going to test the tomorrow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]