FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM HD mastering/archiving/backup

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
davidb
XDCAM HD mastering/archiving/backup
on Sep 17, 2007 at 4:03:01 pm

I am trying to figure out the All mighty workflow.
I don't have and I have not used XDCAM HD or even HDV for that matter, so I am going by what I read. But when our company is ready to spend some bucks to go HD, I better have read it right.
We are in the market to purchase The FCP systems with AJA io, and we are leaning towards XDCAM HD and/or just the new Sony XDCAM EX Express system. I asked a similar question about mastering back to the XDCAM Camera (F350) and thanks for the replies, but the answer was No. You could go back to HDCAM tape, DVC Pro tape or back up on SATA drives.

The piece I am not grasping is, can we go back to the PDW-F70 (XDCAM HD recorder)? Of course you can (I think), it's a recorder.
So the real question is....would it be a good/bad idea to do this?
We are a corporate video outfit and rarely go to broadcast, we just want to put the master HD sequence on the shelf as we have done with 1000s of Beta SP tapes.
I would assume the biggest problem would be that the signal would be recompressed,
but is there a way using HDSDI (out) from the NLE straight to the HDSDI (in) to the recorder that would not recompress?

Let

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: XDCAM HD mastering/archiving/backup
on Sep 17, 2007 at 5:13:02 pm

[davidb] "The piece I am not grasping is, can we go back to the PDW-F70 (XDCAM HD recorder)? Of course you can (I think), it's a recorder.
So the real question is....would it be a good/bad idea to do this?
"

The answer is... Yes.

The best solution to mastering and archiving is always thru a deck. Using a camera always puts on undue stress on it that you should consider, more than the re-compression issue. The PDW-F70 is an awesome machine that can do your down-converting if needed. The F70 is a full deck with all the capabilities than anyone could ask for.

[davidb] "I would assume the biggest problem would be that the signal would be recompressed,
but is there a way using HDSDI (out) from the NLE straight to the HDSDI (in) to the recorder that would not recompress?
"

Of course.... You can go back HD-SDI like we do. You can go out thru firewire using the Sony Transfer program for FCP. I have done it both ways and I have never seen a difference in the signal.

[davidb] "Is there a way to get the clips shot on the express cards backed up to the XDCAM HD discs and then use them in the PDW-70 just like they came from a XDCAM HD camera?
"

Yes, that will be available in the newest version of the Sony Transfer software.

To give you a little insight... Our company has been using XDCAM now for almost three years with the last year using XDCAM HD. It is by far the best format available for flexibility and ruggedness. I will be more than happy to answer any more questions that you might have on this format.

BTW... You need at least an AJA IO HD to do what you need. For a little less money, the AJA Kona 3 would probably be a better choice, if you are looking at any uncompressed HD in the future.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

jiri vrozina
Re: XDCAM HD mastering/archiving/backup
on Sep 19, 2007 at 6:37:56 am

This should be your solution.

http://www.expandore.com/product/Sony/Proav/model/XDCAM_HD/PDW-U1.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>