FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM firewire export transfer speeds

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Carey
XDCAM firewire export transfer speeds
on Sep 14, 2007 at 7:24:24 pm

Hey.... Sony, are you out there? I hope so.

We have been a user of XDCAM for the past three years and XDCAM HD for the past year and both seem to have the same issue with Final Cut Pro. I edit my programs and go to export my timelines to XDCAM (or XDCAM HD) using the export function of FCP. Everything is fine until it copies to the XDCAM decks (PDW-1500 and PDW-F70).

I generally have programs that are of a total length of about 36 minutes. I have bars/tone, 10 sec black slug, 10 sec slate, 10 sec countdown, 28:30 program content (with commercials) and lastly a 5 min slug for broadcast after the program.

Usually my output thru firewire takes me roughly about 45 for a 36 minute program. If it weren't for the fact that this machine is in another room, I'd just write to tape the old way to save time outputting my sequence.

Can't someone figure a way to make this go any faster? Or am I just dreaming too big?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: XDCAM firewire export transfer speeds
on Sep 15, 2007 at 2:33:22 pm

hey Wayne, how long is the conform time on an XDCAM HD show that long?

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: XDCAM firewire export transfer speeds
on Sep 17, 2007 at 1:27:40 pm

To be perfectly honest... we are editing in DVCProHD. Let me explain our workflow a little...

We edit in DVCProHD (because we mix XDCAM HD and HDV (trying to avoid the pitfalls of HDV)), output thru HD-SDI to the machine (because its faster), then downconvert to IMX50 for commercial integration then out to a PDW-1500 XDCAM deck thru firewire. This is where the output is taking about 45 minutes to copy across.

Th only reason I have to do it this way is because we have to insert the commercials ourselves before we make our BetaSP masters for broadcast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]