FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW-EX1 brochure

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Don Greening
Re: PMW-EX1 brochure
on Sep 6, 2007 at 5:40:42 pm

Eric,

Is there anywhere else I can download that .pdf file? I've been trying to get it since last night and the connection to the Austrailian Sony web site is terrible. I guess it's because so many others are trying to get it. Would you be able to email it to me?

greeningATshawDOTca

Eternally grateful

- Don

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 6, 2007 at 8:43:24 pm

More info on the XDCAM EX here:

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowContent.action?site=biz_en_EU&contentId...

Here's a test of a (slightly) pre-production model from two different web sites. It's the same test report but the tester goes into more detail at his home site:

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowContent.action?site=biz_en_EU&contentId...

http://www.ingenioustv.com/xdcamex.asp

- Don

Return to posts index

steve
on Sep 13, 2007 at 8:01:14 pm

I'm falling in love with this camera. But I see one issue though. And I hope it's a type-o. On page 4 on the botton, it says it samples at 4:2:0. Please say it isn't so.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 14, 2007 at 9:18:32 am

Actually, the 4:2:0 thing is accurate, probably because the XDCAM EX records using the MPEG 2 codec, same as HDV. The big difference here, however, is that the bitrate is variable, whereas HDV is constant. Makes a huge difference in the final picture where there's fast action.

XDCAM EX will output 4:4:2 if you record using the HD SDI interface to a hard drive array. Maybe that will make you feel a tad better.

- Don

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 14, 2007 at 7:27:27 pm

That should have read:

XDCAM EX will output 4:2:2 if you record using the HD-SDI interface.

- Don

Return to posts index

rafalaos
on Sep 15, 2007 at 4:28:21 am

Hi Don,
I've been waiting for the XDCAM EX for a few months. Now I see this of the 420 sampling. I've got shocked. Is it a joke? You say that can out-put 422 using the HDI-SDi interface. What mean that, that from a 420 makes a 422? If is like that this is a deception. You can do the same in FC.
Cheers,
Rafael

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 15, 2007 at 2:48:00 pm

Hey Rafael

Wasn't the EX was always going to be 4:2:0 ?
It is the much bigger brother, the forthcoming PDW-F700 that is 4:2:2, no?

Andy

PS I picked up the discs today, thanks. Looking forward to watching them :)

Return to posts index

rafalaos
HI ANDY!!!!
on Sep 16, 2007 at 4:05:03 am

Hi Andy,
We have been talking about XDCam, and I always thought XDCam is 422 with 18-25-35Mbps. If with a 35Mbps you can record a 422, why to limit it to 420? You got everything in the camera to get it. I havent go to any of the HV formats because IMHO they are not HD. I'm from the old school and for me HD means more quality, not just more pixels. More color samples is what I want:-)
BTW I have to write you. I've got a good friend (and very good video-editor) that wrote me few weeks ago that he was thinking to apply for a job in AJE.
I hope you like the DVDs. My clips are just CC exercices and many of them are "over-done".
I really will apreciate your critics. Here I got no body that can give me a proffesional point of view. Just play them in a TV set.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Greg Boston
Re: HI ANDY!!!!
on Sep 30, 2007 at 1:57:32 am

[rafalaos] "We have been talking about XDCam, and I always thought XDCam is 422 with 18-25-35Mbps. "

Sorry but that's incorrect.

XDCAM HD is currently 4:2:0 @ 18mb VBR, 25mb CBR, and 35mb VBR.

The forthcoming XDCAM EX camera will not have the 18mb mode, but will offer 720P and have a full 1920x1080 pixel count imager. The current XDCAM HD cameras have a 1440x1080 chip.

The only XDCAM HD camera that can RECORD 4:2:2 is the forthcoming PDW-700 with 2/3 CCDs and a 50mb recording rate.

However, as was stated, if you take a LIVE FEED from the camera via HDSDI, you bypass the chroma subsampling and MPEG compression. This signal runs at around 1.4 Gb/second. This applies to several cameras on the market such as the full sized XDCAM HD F350, The Canon XLH1 and XHG1, and the JVC Pro HD 250.

Don't get so hung up on the 4:2:0 thing because this isn't like SD and there is quite a bit of chroma information in progressive mode. People have been pulling very nice keys with the 4:2:0.

The variable bit rate helps most with storage requirements per frame, but contributes to quality indirectly because it allows a higher maximum bitrate without eating up all your storage. The 35mb data rate allows for better motion compensation, etc and that is why XDCAM HD looks better than HDV in high motion scenes.

Return to posts index

rafalaos
Re: HI ANDY!!!!
on Sep 30, 2007 at 8:44:46 am

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the up-date. The thing is that the XDCam EX camera (I don't remember the name of the model) looks terrific. I look forwar to get some feed-backs when they release it.
Cheers,
Rafael

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 15, 2007 at 6:53:19 pm

[rafalaos] "What mean that, that from a 420 makes a 422? If is like that this is a deception. You can do the same in FC."

You can't generate 4:2:2 information from something that was originally recorded in 4:2:0. If you were to drop a 4:2:0 clip into a 4:2:2 FCP timline you'd still be working with a 4:2:0 clip. FCP or anything else for that matter, cannot invent colour information that wasn't there to begin with.

However, the XDCAM EX will indeed output 4:2:2 via the HD-SDI port. The signal is taken directly off the imagers, bypassing the the MPEG2 compression process, much like shooting RAW with a digital still camera.

- Don

Return to posts index

rafalaos
on Sep 16, 2007 at 3:35:20 am

Hi Don and Andy,
Sorry but my English is a bit short, and this is still confusing for me.

[Don Greening] "The signal is taken directly off the imagers, bypassing the the MPEG2 compression process"
Do that mean that the camera record 420 wile out-put a 422 from the HDI-SDI port? If is like that, is the same that if we say that my SONY DVCam gives a full uncompress broadcast PAL signal. That is what I got by-passing the DV compression through the Composite Video-out or S-Video. Yes I can get a 10b Unc recording directly to my HD with the BM card. A signal thousand times better than the one I get from the tape. But I can not bring my G5 to the mountainn to work.
I've been fallowing a very interesting thread in this forum comparing XDCam with DVCproHD.
OK, I accept that recording a 422-MPG2-Long GOP-35Mbps can yield better picture than a 422-Intrafield-100Mbps (I accept it because because many people has experienced that).
But I don't belive that the same will be true when talking about a 420-MPG2-Long GOP even if we increase the the data-rate. If XDCAM EX record only 420 what we got is just an improved HDV. The old mean approach of SONY to the pro-sumers?
Please cool me. I don't want to look back to the HVX202.
Nice week-end,
rafael

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 16, 2007 at 7:03:34 am

I'll reserve judgement about the picture quality of the EX until I have one in my hands for testing. I do know that there are lot of camera people out there that use XDCAM for broadcast every day and they like what they shoot. Yes, XDCAM is a form of HDV using the MPEG2 long GOP codec, but the big difference is the variable bit rate recording of XDCAM.

I've already heard comments that the EX 1920x1080 picture is "to die for", so that alone is encouragement enough for me to seriously consider buying.

I don't know if XDCAM will output a 4:2:2 signal from the HD-SDI port and simultaneously record 4:2:0 video to XDCAM discs/flash media, if that's what you're asking. Perhaps someone else in this forum will be able to answer that for you.

Like Graeme Nattress said, who is the software designer for the RED camera: "Not ALL compresssion is bad." Indeed. Just look at ProRes422 HQ.

- Don

Return to posts index

rafalaos
on Sep 16, 2007 at 12:35:41 pm

Hi Don,
Thanks for your answer. I've got a bit up-set for what I sayd before. The camera can do the 422, but SONY don't want. I wouldn't have got up-set if the camera wouldn't look so beautiful.
Time to wait.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 16, 2007 at 2:54:49 pm

Maybe this will make you feel better: the suggested list price for the EX is $4000.00 USD. And the 16 GB cards will be under $1000.00 each, with 32 GB cards available next year. Obviously, this price is designed to corner the market and to be THE camera in every event shooter's kit bag.

- Don

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 17, 2007 at 8:58:28 am

Update on the pricing: It would seem that the 4000 dollar price tag for the EX may in fact be in Euros and not in US currency as was first reported. This would put the US dollar figure at a more realistic $6000.00 USD.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]