FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDW D-1800 reference signal

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abeyta
HDW D-1800 reference signal
on Aug 22, 2007 at 2:10:51 am

Hello,

I have recently purchased an HDCAM D 1800 deck with the optional 3:2 pulldown card I am having problems getting the deck referenced to an Avid Adrenaline HD.

My footage is HDCAM 23.98 and I am trying to capture via downconverted/pull down SDI out into a 29.97 SD project. I keep getting an error on the Avid stating that "video sync signal not detected from capture source" I have the AJA Gen 10 BB generator and I have tried sending a SD Blackburst signal as well as a 23.98psf tri level signal but I still get this error. I've read through the manual and I'm still a little confused about how to route reference on this deck when downconverting with pulldown as it also has a dual reference mode. Anybody have any experience with this deck or have any ideas?

Also, I have successfully captured the 23.98 footage into an HD 23.98 project with Tri level sync and everything worked great. It has something to do with the downconvert or pulldown process.

I have used this same workflow (downconverting/pulldown 23.98 to 29.97 SDI) on a rented JH3 in the past on this system and it worked fine with no reference errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Derrick

Return to posts index

Michael Belanger
Re: HDW D-1800 reference signal
on Aug 23, 2007 at 3:05:41 pm

Hey Derrick

I have the same deck , albeit without the pulldown card. Have you tried setting the ref signal to video rather than external?? Failing that just set the ref setting to AUTO , I think there are two auto settings
I would think on playback that ref would not be an issue. I also use the Gen 10 . That is outputting 59.94 for that deck to record at. Set that ref to 23.98???

Mike B
Dandelion Editing
http://www.dandelionediting.com

Return to posts index

Abeyta
on Aug 24, 2007 at 12:56:27 am

Thanks for the response Mike.

I have been on the phone with Sony the past few days and we have resolved a few isssues I had regarding the Trilevel sync. I needed to send a 23.98 BB signal instead of 23.98psf BB signal. The Gen 10 does both. Now the external reference input is working for the non pulldown modes.

However we are still having problems using the dual reference mode that is needed for the pulldown output. Whenever I try to change the menu item number 342 Pulldown lock mode, I end up losing reference. Sony thinks I need an ROM update as I am running an old version.

The deck is a month old and I'm already out of date... go figure!

Derrick

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Aug 24, 2007 at 6:13:56 am

Most things shipped these days need an update on the day they arrive. Don't think anything of it. It was probably produced months ago in Japan.

How would you like to be a computer retailer and have stock that is more than 60 days old? Talk about ancient!

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

Michael Belanger
on Aug 24, 2007 at 12:18:18 pm

Yes Derrick

My HDW D 1800 is only a couple months old and I know it shipped with older software. Nice thing about that deck is how you can update, just use a sony memory card in the slot under the panel. Alot easier than it was 20 years ago. Do you find your machine a bit noisy when you turn it on? I will have to get some sort of door on the rack or else fashion a mini equipment room to dull the noise from that deck. My other sony decks are pretty quiet
Where is this setting on the Gen 10 to go from 23.98 to the other 23.98? I never knew ther were two 23.98 settings. Will Sony send you an update memory stick to do the update?

Mike B
Dandelion Editing
http://www.dandelionediting.com

Return to posts index

Abeyta
on Aug 25, 2007 at 7:08:48 pm

I'm still waiting for Sony to get back to me about how to update the software. They mentioned sending the deck in (I hope not) and the memory card way. The memory card sounds like a better option. I am currently running ROM SY1 V2.03. I was told that V2.08 is the current build. You can check yours by first pressing P1 home then hold the ALT/DELETE and F9 button at the same time and you will enter the maintenance mode. From there select M3: others and then there will be a ROM version option.

Yes, the deck is noisy. If I'm not capturing from it I usually leave it off.

About the AJA, the dip switches on the bottom of the AJA determine what format of Tri Level your are sending. AJA has a downloadable pdf file that has the detailed matrix of all the available settings. I got it from their website as the unit didn't come with any literature or instructions.

Derrick

Return to posts index

Michael Belanger
on Aug 29, 2007 at 2:24:46 pm

Thanks Derrick

I did know about the dip settings but you had mentioned TWO different 23.98 settings unless you meant 59.94 and 23.98??

I will check the firmware . I assume you are still not able to use the 3/2 option going into AVID but the pulldown DOES work???

Where did you get your card from? Install yourself?

Mike B

Return to posts index

Abeyta
on Aug 29, 2007 at 9:48:26 pm

Yes, two different BB dip settings one that's 23.98 and one thats 23.98psf. The D-1800 liked the regular 23.98 (not psf).

The pulldown card is working ok now. I just can't lock it in dual reference mode. My needs don't require the dual reference right now but Sony was concerned that it wasn't working correctly when they were helping me troubleshoot. They thought a firmware update would resolve. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

I bought the card at the same time I got the deck. It did not come installed though. I had to install myself. It came with instructions and wasn't too difficult.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]