FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saw the new 2/3' XDCAM HD in the flesh.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Corbett
Saw the new 2/3' XDCAM HD in the flesh.
on Jul 22, 2007 at 12:14:48 pm

I had a play with the new 2/3" XDCAM HD this week at SMPTE. The camera looks much the same as the 350, but has more control switches on the left side. it also has a drop-in wireless mic socket which will be useful. Pictures live to a Sony HD LC looked nice, but there was no wa of testing the recording.

A Japanese tech-head was always hovering to ensure no-one mucked around with it too much. Delivery is Jan/Feb around AUD$40K. It's unknown if that includes viewfinder. Looks like Sony might be following Panasonic's path of not including VF's with new cameras. "Oh, you wanted windows with that new house?"

The new Panasonic HPX3000 was there in a fully operational production unit. looks much like a 2100 or HDX900 except with a Color LCD and 1920 x 1080 sensors. Infinity was "sort of working" but probably won't ship until IBC. It was only viewable by invitation in a private room.

The RED guys flew in and did a one-off showing of the Peter Jackson short on a 2K projector. The camera's designer gave a spiel about how it's going to revolutionise everything. Hmmm, we'll see. VERY impressive, clear, sharp and very 35mm-like, but I can't see many camera ops running around a factory floor or doco shoot with a camera that looks and feels like a prop from the Aliens movies. I couldn't even find the power-on switch after five minutes. Absolutely no word on the delivery schedule. Most camera guys were not committing to anything (purchase-wise). Guess it's wait and see on all fronts.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Saw the new 2/3' XDCAM HD in the flesh.
on Jul 24, 2007 at 12:34:58 am

[Peter Corbett] "Looks like Sony might be following Panasonic's path of not including VF's with new cameras."

I believe that several companies are going to offer packages that include a choice of options, like viewfinders, such as Sony has been doing for some time. Will that be a CRT, an LCD or an Accuscene?

[Peter Corbett] "The RED guys flew in"

Ah, the big RED Circus. I notice that the RED cheerleaders have disappeared. Meanwhile, the F-900 that a RED fan informed me was a relic and I should just "toss it", is still making money, every week.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Jul 24, 2007 at 10:54:55 am

I was told here in japan that it wouldnt have all the variable frame rates 23.98/24/29.97 etc .. cant believe this would be true????... say it aint so..

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jul 24, 2007 at 11:08:20 am

I'm afraid I think it IS so. I was told by a Panasonic rep that it's technically not possible at this time to do variable frame rate in the 1920 x 1080 sensors. Sony apparently is in exactly the same boat with the 2/3" XD, as is Panasonic with the 3000. It is doable with 720P but not 1080P. 1080 50P is not a ratified standard yet which only add murk to the view. I was left with no doubt at the Sony stand that the camera will not ship with VFR.

Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index

jiri vrozina
on Jul 24, 2007 at 5:53:43 pm

B>[Peter Corbett] "I was left with no doubt at the Sony stand that the camera will not ship with VFR."

They will have 2 models.

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jul 24, 2007 at 9:56:26 pm

Didn't get that info from the show Jiri. Two models at the same time? Or if they delay a VBR XDCAM HD, can anyone afford to wait a year or 18 months from now? I don't know. It's very destabilising.

The interesting thing is that the F23 does 1-60 frame in 1080, but maybe that's to do with the SR recording format. There was also talk of the XD being pushed back to April 2008. But I guess we'll have to wait and see. This practice of "pre-releasing" cameras that are a year or even two years from being actually shipping is a worrisome trend from all the manufacturers. The methodology is probably to destabilise the buying pattern. "Don't buy that other camera. If you wait just a little bit longer, we can....."

Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Jul 24, 2007 at 11:36:43 pm

So will they offer a PAL and NTSC version? ... 25p/50i.... 29.97/60i ? sort of thing.

How come the current XDCAM is switchable?

Yes now is a nightmare for freelancers who need all the frame rates in a camera,!

Thanks

Return to posts index

jiri vrozina
on Jul 25, 2007 at 12:06:39 am

They all are and will be PAL/NTSC.
If Sony will release 2/3' XDCAM HD50 with 24p and variable frames for US$30,000 today,they will not sell as many High End current stuff today....especially if some buyers are waiting for RED.

Bottom line is,if someone needs HD Television Camera Today and earn today's competitive rates then both Sony F330/50 and HPX 500 are good enough for affordable HD acquisition.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Jul 26, 2007 at 2:21:12 am

Really,I would think it would sell quite well,esp if the rental houses bought them,as they didnt with the 1/2 inch chip as none of their existing lenses would work well.

Its funny now Iam hearing people say that HDCAM is over kill for tv work,and there isnt enough band width etc.It was the BBC who a few years back declared that Digibeta was over kill,and no one could tell the difference between digi and DVCAM.(Could be accountants who need new contacts :) Wouldnt a 2/3 inch multi format XDCAM not be perfect for tv only HD work?

I have nothing against RED,but I dont think its on the radar for alot of freelancers who will have to buy HD within a few years.Iam sure the camera is great,but what about all the world wide back up,engineers,parts,back up camera rentals. etc Dont want to push that boat out again :) but I dont think there are a huge amount of people crying off buying an HD camera because they are waiting for RED.But I,ve been wrong before.. cant remember when though :0

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Jul 26, 2007 at 2:25:59 am

Sorry just re read your post... see what you mean.If they make the XDCAM too good they wont sell so many of their top end camera,s... yes I guess that would be the case.

Maybe they should cut out all but the F900R... for high end drama/features etc and get a really good XDCAM model out of the barn.???

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on Jul 27, 2007 at 8:10:26 am

Of course it is possible to do variable frame rate at 1920x1080, just as F350 does already, you just lose resolution that's all.

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on Jul 27, 2007 at 8:52:32 am

With regard to new 2/3rd XDCAM HD having variable frame rate.

I think Sony are going to launch it and wait 3 months to see what affect it has on HDCAM sales. If the new 2/3rd XDCAM HD camera does not affect HDCAM sales Sony will put in variable frame rate to the XDCAM HD via a firmware update. If on the other hand the new 2/3rd XD does affect HDCAM sales i.e. HDCAM sales take a nose dive, then Sony will not put in variable via firmware, but instead they will launch another flagship 2/3rd XDCAM HD camera with every bell and whistle going, but for a further

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jul 29, 2007 at 5:41:24 am

Well said Nigel. The RED will not be a freelancer's camera. When it is released in 2009, there may be a stampede or maybe not. I know of several people who have asked for a refund on their deposits.

It might be like the iPhone. Some slept on the sidewalk for days waiting in line. People who waited till the next day were in and out of the AT&T store in about 15 minutes.

So what and who cares?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]