FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM HD and FCP6 Woes

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Carey
XDCAM HD and FCP6 Woes
on Jul 2, 2007 at 3:06:30 pm

I am having troubles with exporting XDCAM HD. I'm exporting 1080i60 (35m/bps). My issue seems to be that we haven't had the time to fully convert over to XDCAM HD and Motion 3 doesn't do non-square projects very well at all - I use Motion to create in ProRes422 and then render in FCP6. Currently, we edit in DVCProHD 1080i29.97. BUT, when we get the time and the software is updated for the Mac Pro systems and Intel chips, I will convert everything over.

Anyway... My issue is when will Sony come out with a newer version that is FULLY compatible with FCS2?

I can't even export to XDCAM IMX50 anymore, either!

P.S. We use and have a PDW-F70 and a PDW-1500. The 1500 is the format we used two years ago and still have shows that were shot on it. Besides, its easier to have an SD master of our shows in a quality higher than DVCAM.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
Re: XDCAM HD and FCP6 Woes
on Jul 17, 2007 at 4:20:23 pm

Hi Wayne,

> I can't even export to XDCAM IMX50 anymore, either!

Did you see an error message like this?

Export Failed
The preset 'MPEG IMX 8-bit NTSC - 50 Mb/s - 48 kHz' is not installed on this system

This would appear to be because the Sony XDCAM export plug-in expects to find the sequence presets with the names used in FCP 5.1.4 that was shipping when Sony shipped XDCAM Transfer 1.1.

Unfortunately Apple have renamed these in FCP 6, so you have to apply the following workaround until Sony release their next plug-in.

1. Go to Final Cut Pro > Audio/Video Settings... to bring up the Audio/Video Settings dialog.

2. Go to Sequence Presets tab.

3. Find and select the FCP 6 preset for your sequence.

In my example case, this is named 'IMX NTSC (50 Mb/s)'.

4. Click the 'Duplicate...' button which brings up the Sequence Preset Editor dialog.

Change the name from e.g. 'IMX NTSC (50 Mb/s) Copy' to the name that Apple used in FCP 5.1.4, e.g. 'MPEG IMX 8-bit NTSC - 50 Mb/s - 48 kHz'.

5. Click 'OK' and repeat step 4 for any other sequence presets you use.

Then click 'OK' to exit the Audio/Video Settings dialog.

6. Quit and restart FCP so that it loads the new sequence presets.

7. Export now works!

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jul 17, 2007 at 4:51:48 pm

Thanks!

I did notice one little strange thing... In order for the export to work, you have to go thru the menu at the top of the screen. If you try to use right-click (control click), it will not work still. It gives an error message saying that the current settings do not match the deck.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jul 18, 2007 at 12:50:56 am

xdcam-guy

i think i love you :)

cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Andy Mees
on Jul 18, 2007 at 1:43:20 am

Hi All

Just confirming the above, following the foloowing response from Sony support:

The basic problem is that Apple renamed their sequence presets in FCP 6 and our export plug-in can no longer find the correct preset to use as a result of this change.

To workaround this, you need to create a copy of the relevant sequence preset and rename it to match the old (FCP 5) name:

(1) Open the FCP 'Audio/Video Settings' window.
(2) Select the 'Sequence Presets' tab.
(3) Find the sequence preset which is being used for editing (new name).
(4) Duplicate this preset.
(5) Rename the new preset according to the old name (they are listed in
section 8.1 of the XDT user guide - the text must match exactly).
*do not change anything else - just the preset name*
(6) Relaunch FCP.
(7) Use the new preset for the sequence.

When 'Export Sony XDCAM' is now used, the new preset should be found and exporting should work as normal.

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Ben Kupfer
on Jul 18, 2007 at 1:52:41 am

Hi Andy,

I tried this but I may not have the correct name for my sequence preset. You mentioned the XDT user guide? I'm confused!

Thanks
Ben

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
on Jul 18, 2007 at 7:35:19 am

Launch XDCAM Transfer 1.1 (which for some reason Andy & I shorten to XDT) and click the Help > XDCAM Transfer User Guide menu item.

Here is the list from Section 8.1 with the FCP 6.0.1 Sequence Presets and their old FCP 5.1.4 names that XDT 1.1 expects to find.

FCP6FCP5
DV NTSC 48 kHz(no change)
DV PAL 48 kHz(no change)
IMX NTSC (30 Mb/s)MPEG IMX 8-bit NTSC

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
on Jul 18, 2007 at 7:50:47 am

OK, html tables seem to confuse the COW, so here's a plain text version:

Here is the list from the XDT User Guide with the FCP 6.0.1 Sequence Presets and their old FCP 5.1.4 names that XDT 1.1 expects to find.

FCP6                    FCP5
DV NTSC 48 kHz (no change)
DV PAL 48 kHz (no change)
IMX NTSC (30 Mb/s) MPEG IMX 8-bit NTSC

Return to posts index

Ben Kupfer
on Jul 18, 2007 at 3:13:37 pm

OK, I did it right the first time. I had opened up 5.1.4 that I have on another mac, copied the proper name convention, loaded it into the presets and restarted.

BUT, when I try to transfer my footage back it goes thru the process, and as it's finished, I get an error message that the export failed, make sure the deck is in the proper format, etc. (I'm not at the system right now). I've got a disc loaded with the right preset (1080p 24, 35Mb/s), recorded something on it to check it but it won't transfer my 1080p 24 timeline back over. I don't have a deck, I'm going back to my 350.

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]