FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM HD service

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
XDCAM HD service
on Jun 21, 2007 at 6:54:47 pm

Just had a less than stellar experience with Sony Service, Los Angeles. I sent a PDW-F70 to them for service. They received it eight days ago, June 13. I called today and was told it was just assigned to a tech. Noone there, including the supervisor, is aware that the XDCAM HD products have Priority Depot service, even though I pointed it out on their website ("that's only if you have a contract").
I was told they're running at about 2-3 weeks so I should check back next week.
It happens that I have no urgent need for the deck right now, so I didn't push the issue. But heads up to everyone else: it seems these items have been sold with a service promise that noone at Sony bothered to tell the service department about.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: XDCAM HD service
on Jun 21, 2007 at 10:14:55 pm

Thomas,

Now you've learned two things; that factory service sucks (and it's not just Sony, but pretty much all the majors) and that you have to follow up every service problem like it was a sick relative in the intensive care ward.

I've has similar experiences and can assure you the only solution is to call them in advance of sending the repair, call them to make sure they got it and call them to make sure they've triaged the problem and call them to see if they've estimated the repair and then to make sure it's done in the specified time. In all cases you should find out who the service manager is and talk directly with that person! Otherwise you'll be disapointed.

JS

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 22, 2007 at 6:39:42 am

Your getting it back in 2-3 weeks? You must know somebody.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jul 2, 2007 at 3:00:24 pm

I agree! Sony's service has something to be desired.

It seems like since Sony shut down the Atlanta office, service has taken a serious nose dive. I guess corporate thinks "we got out money, now its your problem". Yeah, I know... that's not a fair statement, but anyone whose been burned by Sony service understands.

The best and easiest solution to this is to get to know your Sony rep and beg for a "loaner"/"demo" machine from them. This is what we do everytime we need service. Keeps the headaches to a minimum.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]