FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can anyone RE-IMPORT something they've exported to an XD disc?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Proper Modulation
Can anyone RE-IMPORT something they've exported to an XD disc?
on Jun 8, 2007 at 2:59:48 pm

I posted this on another forum:

We effortlessly import at least 10 XDCAM field discs (with multiple clips) a week without any issues. We use XDCAM Transfer along with FCP 5 & 6.

We hit a brick wall whenever we try to re-import a "mastered" XDCAM disc (we master back three 1/2 hr shows to a disc with different audio and gfx configs....a master, a split and a foreign version). For some reason, whenever I go to import one of the three files off this disc, it only imports approx 3 minutes (give or take a few seconds).

Why does material straight out of our cameras import fine, but the discs we create here have a problem?

Here are some kickers to the issue:

-Everything plays back fine in AVC mode.

-We HAVE imported clips well over 30 minutes long from field recordings.

-We tried disabling audio tracks in the Transfer tool

-We tried importing footage straight from the transfer software to a drive...FCP wasn't even launched.

-I saw someone on the Creative Cow forum suggested that XDCAM Transfer has issues sometimes with SAN MP (which we use). I quit SAN MP and wrote to a local drive instead. SAME ISSUE.

-I had been using discs @ 25, so I tried a disc @ 35. SAME ISSUE.

-Our 25 Mbps shows were shot @ XDCAM 10801 60 25 and imported onto an HDV 1080i 60 timeline. We currently shoot on XDCAM 10801 60 35 and import it into a sequence with the same settings we shot at.

The exports of both will not re-import.

We tried all of the above as a means of troubleshooting, but to no avail....

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
Re: Can anyone RE-IMPORT something they've exported to an XD disc?
on Jun 13, 2007 at 1:21:51 pm

It sounds like you've tried a lot of the obvious troubleshooting, but you don't say if you see any error messages, e.g. in the Transfer software, when the import stops?

Here's one other thing to try:

Identify the clip you want to import and find its hi-res MXF file in the Clip folder on the disc in Finder. Try copying just that MXF file with Finder to a new folder on your local hard disk.

If that works, try adding the new folder in XDCAM Transfer, and importing the clip from there (you may not see a proxy in the Transfer software, but you should be able to import from the MXF on hard disk).

In either case, let us know what errors you see from the software, or Finder.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jul 1, 2007 at 2:46:09 am

resolved by upgrading to the latest firmware

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
carlsonke
on Jul 2, 2007 at 3:27:14 pm

Latest firmware? Where did you find it?

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jul 7, 2007 at 5:00:57 pm

a google for "XDCAM Firmware download" (no quotes) will link you to the download page on the sony site
a further google for "Camera software update PKG-1.62-AT1.53" will link you to further useful info

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]