FORUMS: list search recent posts

Modify TimeCode on XDCAM disc?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
reel2reel
Modify TimeCode on XDCAM disc?
on Jun 4, 2007 at 4:12:38 pm

Hi...

I just received XDCAM discs from a shoot that have timecode problems. The shooter didn't know the rental camera was missing a battery, so everytime the camera was shutdown, the TC would reset to zero.

Does anyone know if there's a way to re-write the timecode on the disc via a PDW-F70 deck?

If this isn't an option, I'm guessing I'll have to rent another XD deck and dub from one to the other to write new timecode. I wonder, though, what's the proper way to do this? Set the decks to FAM mode and connect via FireWire?

Thanks a lot for any info!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Modify TimeCode on XDCAM disc?
on Jun 4, 2007 at 4:23:15 pm

While I'm not 100% certain, on other formats that are firewire compliant, clonning over firewire is the best way to copy, in that the material is not decrompressed and recompressed, but stays in the native codec. I'm sure on the receiving deck you can set the timecode to a preset rather than regen so you can create new code.

JS

Return to posts index

Dennis Dillon
on Jun 5, 2007 at 11:35:10 am

The firewire out would only output A DVCAM signal with new time code. If your material is HD (18,25,or 35 VBS), I do not think this would help to downconvert. You might have to copy via HD SDI deck to deck or camera to deck to regen new time code without lowering your video quality.

Return to posts index

reel2reel
on Jun 6, 2007 at 10:02:22 pm

Thanks to both for your help!

Ended up going HD-SDI from deck to deck to make the dubs. Couldn't find any other way to alter the existing TC.

Just a note to anyone interested: when I went to test one of the new discs, the Sony XDCAM software (on Mac OSX) seemed to stall when it came time to import my subclips. I waited and waited and finally after about 15 minutes it worked. My guess is that since the new dub is one huge clip, it took much longer to scan/read the source before importing.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Dennis Dillon
on Jun 7, 2007 at 1:08:36 am

Any time, and yes your file transfer time is relative to your size file.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jun 8, 2007 at 12:11:03 pm

why didn't you just bring the original clips into your edit system by direct file transfer (in FAM mode)?

Return to posts index

reel2reel
on Jun 10, 2007 at 11:41:42 pm

Because we're on Avid Xpress Pro for this project. We've got an FCP suite, too, but this project is being cut all Xpress Pro (which can't import via FAM mode)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]