FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quiet??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lacey
Quiet??
on May 14, 2007 at 7:27:21 pm

This is a very quiet forum.

I wonder if 'no news is good news' or maybe that nobody's supporting the equipment?

Alan in PALland

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
Re: Quiet??
on May 14, 2007 at 8:24:08 pm

I know what you mean Alan. One can only assume that XDCAM and HDCAM owners/users are getting all the work and are too busy for forums ;)

Nigel in PALland

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 18, 2007 at 3:49:01 am

If you look at a lot of other forums, you see a lot of "How do you... " questions. A lot of the questons that could be raised on this forum are raised on the High End HD forum. The other forum is more generic.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on May 20, 2007 at 7:01:36 pm

I think we can be expecting a lot of "noise" in this forum in the future as I've just learned the ABC News has selected HD EXDCAM for their future. I think it's safe to say now that with CNN and ABC committed and with CBS already using the SD XDCAM, that this camera will become the "new Betacam" at least in the network and local news genre.

Not that I think it's the best camera available, mostly because of the old-fashioned MPEG2 recording format, but the combination of non-linear, inexpensive/reusable media, the moderate price, feature package and the Sony name and lack of any serious competition (P2 has become disqualified because of the media cost - although I think prematurely) is going to make this format the overwhelming choice.

It will present something of a quandry for freelancers; they'll have to buy the camera to continue to service their network news accounts, but will it be good enough for those other accounts who have already jumped head first into HD with HDCAM and DVCPRO100 (F900's and Varicams) which by comparoson are both better cameras and have better recording formats, albeit tape based.

I can only imagine a situation where we'll all be leveraging our investment in lenses, monitors and other HD infrastructure by owning two or three different camera body-types to use for different clientel. As it is I already own both Varicams and an F900R and I'm high on the list for several of the 2/3" HD XDCAMS, even though I'd prefer not to buy them!

How's that for noise?

JS

Return to posts index

Jody
by
on Jun 7, 2007 at 4:34:33 am

Hey Johnny,

What is the "HD EXDCAM" you referred to that ABC News has chosen to replace Betacam? I'm guessing it was a typo and you meant XDCAM HD? There is the new XDCAM EX (which I have tested and edited with) but it's the PD-170-sized PC Express card camera...can't imagine they'd go for that.

When are they switching over? Any word? I've not been down there for a while...shooting lots of other stuff-- -almost all of it XDCAM HD, of course...the "new Betacam".

--Jody

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jun 7, 2007 at 10:47:25 am

While not a fait acomplee, there's little doubt that ABC while be receiving the new 2/3" HDXDCAM that was teased at the recent NAB show.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jun 7, 2007 at 10:47:28 am

While not a fait acomplee, there's little doubt that ABC while be receiving the new 2/3" HDXDCAM that was teased at the recent NAB show.

Return to posts index

cow
john sharaf
on Jun 7, 2007 at 10:47:30 am

Return to posts index

Jody
by
on Jun 7, 2007 at 6:54:14 pm

BTW, The CBS O&Os are buying the XDCAM HD and several (KCBS included) have already received theirs. The net news ops can't be far behind.

I wish ABC would go ahead with the current XDCAM HD. They could be archiving important stories in HD-- they're missing out (VA Tech shooting comes to mind.) F350 has more features and lesser price than the 2/3 will be. And staggeringly good picture in a great, light form factor, with as you said cost-effective and robust media. My F350 has taken a beating worldwide and in over 200 disks shots, I've not lost a single frame. I wish my F900R recorded to disk...

Interesting and fun days ahead.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jun 7, 2007 at 10:47:35 am

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]