FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM DVD,s

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Redflag
XDCAM DVD,s
on May 4, 2007 at 1:15:03 pm

I see that the DVD,s have a record protect tab.Just wondered if you dont push the tab,and put a shot disc in the camera by mistake, can you just record over it,or is there some warning message that comes up.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
Re: XDCAM DVD,s
on May 5, 2007 at 10:00:05 am

Of course you can record over it, why would it come up with an alert message when the tab is not in 'safe' mode.

Of course if the Optical Disc is already full of media then it will say 'Disc Full' and won't allow for recording anything else.

See also: http://www.xdcamex.co.uk

Return to posts index

Redflag
on May 5, 2007 at 2:14:42 pm

Sorry but you seem to contradict yourself... on the one hand you say ofcourse it will record over anything,but on the other a message will come up telling you you cant?

So Iam back where I was with the original question.

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on May 5, 2007 at 4:59:08 pm

It's simple.

If it is a blank/new/or re-formatted disc/partly full disc and the safety tab is not across, then it will record to any empty space and not give an error.

If the disc is full and the record tab is not across it simply WON'T record as there is no space i.e. it won't record over existing clips.

If the disc is new/blank/part full/ totally full and the erase protect tab is put in place then it will ALWAYS come back with a "Can't Record" error message, telling you to either insert another disc, or "Check Tab on Disc" error message.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on May 6, 2007 at 1:05:19 am

Hi Nigel

Ok thanks I get it now.So basically you can never record over existing footage recorded on the disc.I wondered as without the tab being pushed,or a label its impossible to tell just by looking which is a new disc or shot one.
Anyway thanks for your time and reply

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on May 6, 2007 at 8:58:14 am

I know what you mean; I have this from time to time.

But don't worry, you can NEVER record over existing clips on a disc, no matter what happens.

Sometimes if I want to know if the disc has been recorded over, or how much time is left on the disc when there is no label on it, I simply flick the little lever on the side (the one that camera flicks when the disc actually goes in camera, to allow exposure to disc for read/right) and open the two doors carefully about a third of the way. This allows me to physically see the disc surface and you can clearly see which part has been written too as it is a different shade.

Remember, it writes from the centre outwards so bare this in mind if using this trick.

Also, be careful not to get dust on the disc surface whilst the doors are open, same for fingerprints and even condensation off your breath. Then close them back up carefully until they 'lock' back in place.

Sounds long, but only takes a second.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on May 6, 2007 at 10:00:49 am

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the tip.To be honest Iam far too twitchy to ever try it!! Used the camera about 4 times now on one project,its owned by the director and he had assured me that it was impossible to record over shot footage... but just wanted to check!

Its a great camera 350,but great that they have made a 2/3 inch version,I really hope this will become the format of choice.

Thanks again for reply much appreciated

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on May 6, 2007 at 11:30:17 am

I'm sure XDCAM will sky-rocket now the 2/3rd version is coming out, not to mention the new Solid-State EX model, see http://www.xdcamex.co.uk

Return to posts index

Redflag
on May 7, 2007 at 12:32:49 am

Yes I hope so.I think my problem is like lots of digibeta owners,now most jobs are HD,but nobody wants to buy the { wrong} camera.HDCAM has ofcourse been around for ages.. but now I would think twice about buying a tape based camera,and it would have to be the very exp F900R,because as a freelancer you need all the different frame rates,a 750P that only does 25p or 50i just doesnt cover all the bases.
I thought the HDX900 was the answer,but then Pana announce it will be their last tape based camera,but there again you cant sit on the fence for the next 5 years!!!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 8, 2007 at 1:20:57 am

[Nigel Cooper] "lso, be careful not to get dust on the disc surface whilst the doors are open, same for fingerprints and even condensation off your breath."

(not an XDCAM user, but an interested lurker here.)

Have you had footage ruined by a relatively small amount of dust? What happens when you're in an environment that is not pristine and you have to reload?

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on May 8, 2007 at 8:22:09 am

Bob, what I'm talking about is very unorthodox. You would NEVER have a reason to open up the disc doors like I'm describing here. Loading a disc into the camera and taking it out again is fine, even in a desert storm with sand everywhere is perfectly okay, same for humid hot rain-forrest type conditions.

I think you could have misunderstood. I'm not talking about the door on the camcorder, I'm talking about the 2 little doors on the actual disc cassette itself; which is the part that you never open anyway.

I've even done a test where I opened the disc doors and scratched a disc in loads of places and emptied a vacuumm bag into it, then put it in the dish washer and then dried it in tumble dryer; it worked fine ;)

Look at the 24th picture down in this article I wrote linked below. You'll see a picture of two discs side-by-side, the left one has the two little doors slightly opened. To do this, you need to release a catch that is inlayed on the side of the disc. This is what I'm talking about.

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=144

Hope that's clear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]