FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM to SD transfer troubles

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cerhit
XDCAM to SD transfer troubles
on Apr 18, 2007 at 3:50:58 pm

We are mastering a show to XDCAM HD using the PDW-F70 deck, shooting on 3x F330s through a FORA HVS 500HS HD switcher. Our HD output looks great on the disk and conforms to HD broadcast levels. The trouble is in the transfer to SD. Our broadcaster is making the transfers from XDCAM to Digi Beta and the levels are dropping by 30units. The result is a very dark image.

We had the broadcaster send back the master and checked it out again and it looks fine. What I did notice was that on the small LCD screen the image is very dark - the same as what I had seen in the dubbing area of our broadcaster.

So I concluded that there is a problem dubbing from XDCAM HD to SD. we are all new to XDCAM (including the broadcaster) and are in the process of figuring it out before we go to air on Apirl 23rd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

Craig Cerhit
Supervising Producer

Greedy Productions
Vancouver, BC
http://www.labwithleo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: XDCAM to SD transfer troubles
on Apr 24, 2007 at 5:42:48 am

Check to see if there is a setting for video levels during downconvert. I know this sounds weird but with certain manufacturers (all of them) there could be a surprise built in.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

cowcow
Wayne Carey
Re: XDCAM to SD transfer troubles
on Apr 24, 2007 at 7:39:24 pm

How are you transfering to SD? Thru a converter or thru your Mac via a capture card like a AJA Kona series or Blackmagic Decklink?

I do this all of the time, but I let my F70 machine do the downconvert for me or I can use my Kona 3 to do this with the same results. Always a perfect downconvert.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]