FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Bad Pixels

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
XDCAM Bad Pixels
on Apr 13, 2007 at 12:15:44 am

I have an F330 and an F350. Each has a couple of bad pixels. My Sony tech told me to black balance as many as 15 times in a row and that will clear them up, and they shouldn't come back after I do that. Is this true?

He said to keep an accurate record for each camera of where the bad pixels were. If they return, that's serious, and in that case I should send the camera in to have the block replaced.

Does this sound correct? I thought the repeated black balancing cleared bad pixels temporarily? The reason I want to be certain about this is that both cameras are under warranty. I don't want the warranties to run out then find out that I should have had the blocks replaced the moment I discovered the bad pixels.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
Re: XDCAM Bad Pixels
on Apr 13, 2007 at 3:28:46 pm

My 330 had a large bad pixel or group of as well. I was told the same thing, black balance. Mine went away and haven't come back yet (5 months). Let's hope this is the way it works and they don't come back! A bad pixel in HD is really noticeable!

Return to posts index

Ron Exalto
Re: XDCAM Bad Pixels
on Apr 16, 2007 at 10:30:40 pm

I agree. My 350 had a white pixel back in september 2006 when I got it out of the box. 3-4 times black balance took care of it and I've never seen it since.
You should be okay if you don't have the odd one out with a really damaged block

Good luck,

Ron

ELVIC DVD PRODUCTIONS & HOMECINEMA
Editing on Axio 2.5
Aquisition with Sony PDW-F350 XDCAM HD

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
actually...
on Apr 19, 2007 at 8:57:11 am

The correct process is to black balance once in each of the gain positions. We use 0, 6, and 9. Before you fix it, make sure you record some footage and pull a screen shot to send to your sales rep for clarification later should the block become unusable after the unit is out of warranty. If you have something recorded to tape, that could work as proof. We had a pixel group blow out on a DSR-500 right in the middle of a Kenny Rogers concert and we had it fixed in less than 60 seconds.

This works on all Sony 2/3" digital cameras.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
Re: actually...
on Apr 20, 2007 at 3:47:06 am

Don't yell at me but black balancing also worked on our Panasonic HDX900 lit pixel problem.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 24, 2007 at 5:39:59 am

That is really great news, Ray. For years, the only solution was to replace a very expensive pick up block.

So, I guess what you're saying is that there is hope for the Panicsonic line of products after all.

Had you heard that Matt DeJesus has two RED cameras on order? If not, consider yourself advised.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Apr 24, 2007 at 7:43:23 pm

I bumped into Matt at NAB. He told me he had a low number, around #18 or so. I expect to drooling over his Red camera this summer.
I can't justify it but I am real curious.
Later,
Ray

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]