FORUMS: list search recent posts

F350 worth the extra cost?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
F350 worth the extra cost?
on Mar 22, 2007 at 7:46:56 pm

I've got two F330s and need to buy another. I've been trying to convince myself to buy the F350 but I can't understand what I'm paying the extra money for. It appears to be the exact same camera except for a few effects, effects that seem unnecessary. Historically, I've had no interest in the effects a camera can produce. When I'm in the field, I want to focus on getting good video. It's in post that I'll introduce effects.

I'm speaking of the overcranking, undercranking, the open shutter capability and the time lapse.

The overcranking/undercranking and the open shutter effects I can do in post. And the time lapse, just about every consumer camera out there has it.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: F350 worth the extra cost?
on Mar 23, 2007 at 9:02:19 am

Seems like you've answered your own question as far as you are concerned. If you're shooting corporate video, there is almost no reason to shoot anything other than 60i.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on Mar 23, 2007 at 11:33:03 pm

F350 = superior 2" 16:9 viewfinder, HD/SDI output for Broadcast applications, Over/Undercrank will ALWAYS yield better results than mere frame duplication in post, 5-pin audio out connector, 22 x BNC timecode I/O connectors. Basically, professional broadcast features.

I always said the F330 is more for corporate/weddings etc where guys will be plugging the camera straight into a TV and the F350 is for broadcast were the HD/SDI output is a must. They both produce the same image quality of course, just one has professional features.

Personally I preferred the better viewfinder and I do a lot of Overcrank, which is far better than crappy slo-mo in Final Cut, which simply replicates frames to give the illusion of slo-mo, but never really looks any good.

Oh, and it is finished in "Professional Black" as opposed to "Wedding Silver" ;)

Return to posts index

AlexHuber69
on Apr 13, 2007 at 9:21:29 pm

LMAO @ "Wedding Silver".

Great one, Nigel

Alex

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 19, 2007 at 9:02:12 am

Rumor has it that Robert Rodriguez chrome plated the sides of one of his F-900s.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

cowcow
Thomas Hughes
on Apr 19, 2007 at 1:47:03 pm

The fall fashions were just presented in Milano and Wedding Silver is everywhere! It's the hot new color.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Mar 25, 2007 at 1:39:24 am

[Thomas Hughes] "The overcranking/undercranking and the open shutter effects I can do in post"

Mmm, kinda.

I suppose though if you don't really know what the differences are between doing them in camera (speaking specifically about overcranking) and doing them in post, you prob won't miss them.

The finder on the 350 vastly superior, however.

New website, new work online:
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]