FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting the night sky

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Swell78
Shooting the night sky
on Mar 15, 2007 at 10:45:22 pm

I'm directing a project that will likely be shot on the F950. I was wondering if anyone has experience shooting the night sky with this camera...what were the results and can you offer any suggestions. Also, what kind of lens is appropriate? Any other cameras I should consider for such a shot? The shot will be a timelaps of the night sky with no moonlight or city light. Thanks.

Rick Coyle
http://www.oceansuninstitute.org

Return to posts index

Digistream
Re: Shooting the night sky
on Mar 24, 2007 at 4:58:24 pm

Sounds like you need to do a time exposure time lapse with a stills camera at full res, and render this out at the whatever post format you're using. I use an old Canon 10D and have pretty good results with star lapses.

Return to posts index

swell78
on Mar 24, 2007 at 7:36:15 pm

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that one. My DP suggested doing the stars in post unless we can get ahold of the Red One Digital camera. That might work, Im not sure though. Do you know what the ratio of shots would have to be, say for an 8 second lapse? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Digistream
on Mar 25, 2007 at 5:31:03 am

I guess you're shooting 30p? So what ever your interval is, multiply thatr by 30 to get the shooting time for 1 second of playout.

Last time I did this I had the following settings for a Canon 10D (ballpark):
Crank the ASA right up to 1600
Open the iris
Set the exposure time on the computer/remote to about 1 min.
Set the interval time on the computer/remote to as short as you can get it, maybe 5 to 10 secs.

You'll have to play with this, and it depends on how much ambient light there is and how bright the actual sky is. I got pretty cool results with no moon in a dark sky with stars vortexing over a bank of pitch black pine trees.

I've also had insane results doing city lapses at night.

The surprising thing is that the resolution fits nicely!

Return to posts index

Juan Martinez, Sony Electronics
on May 3, 2007 at 6:09:27 pm

Here is another suggestion. If you are shooting with an F950 and recording to an SRW1, you can take advantage of the frame accumulation mode. This function will allow the exposure to span over several frames (user selectable). In addition, Zeiss Digi-Prime lenses deliver full MTF at wide open, which will yield the high resolution necessary for your shot without sacrificing sensitivity.

Juan Martinez

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]