FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM HD vs AJ-HDX900

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wynn Winberg
XDCAM HD vs AJ-HDX900
on Mar 14, 2007 at 6:17:21 pm

Getting ready to move up from our Sony Z1U, and these two cameras are in our price range. Obviously the workflow issue is a huge one, but what I am presently focusing on is image quality. Was not that happy with HDV on the Z1 ...

When I play back recordings made on the XDCAM HD and the HDX900 systems, side by side on the same type HD monitors, will I see a better image with the Panasonic? It seems like I would. Also, we do a lot of blue screen - will the Panasonic not give us significantly better quality keys (with good lighting, etc., of course)?

We'll be demo-ing cameras next week, but would love to hear from others have who pondered the same decision.

Thansk -

Wynn Winberg
Producer/Director/Editor
Aries Productions
Arlington, TX

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
Re: XDCAM HD vs AJ-HDX900
on Mar 15, 2007 at 5:36:02 am

We did not do a side by side comparison but we did purchase the HDX900 and it really impresses me.
We also have a Varicam and the HDX900 made the choice of a second camera easy.
There are quite a few posts regarding the HDX900 on the Varicam Cow forum.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Mar 16, 2007 at 1:22:45 am

You may want to wait till the 2/3 inch XDCAM is available,rumoured to be this year.I would think this would be better quality pic than the present 1/2 inch chip model.Although the HDX900 is a great camera for the price.

Return to posts index

Wynn Winberg
on Mar 16, 2007 at 1:51:10 pm

We'll certainly wait until NAB - but I figure if there's no official announcement then, we'll go ahead and make a move. And of course, the 2/3" version of the XDCAm HD will be appreciably more expensive.

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on Mar 17, 2007 at 12:07:53 am

IF Sony announce 2/3rd XDCAM HD at NAB it WILL be approximately

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Mar 17, 2007 at 9:16:15 am

Yes good point,Nigel.When Sony have this 2/3inch XDCAM if the spec,s are also high,surely they would discontinue the 730/750 models somewhere down the line.The F900R maybe around a bit longer for drama stuff , as it has such a foothold already at the top end.
The HDX900 is a nice camera,but if Pana themselves are saying its the last tape camera they do,unless you can pay it off pretty fast,its a bit of a worry.

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on Mar 17, 2007 at 9:51:28 am

Good points Redflag. If you can't get your money back and make on it within 3 years you should be hiring kit instead; especially as this is tape.

No doubt HDCAM will continue in rental houses for many many years to come. But watch out for next generation of XDCAM HD, it's going to be mind-blowing.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Mar 17, 2007 at 10:22:25 am

Yes I think there must be many digibeta owners,who know they must go HD sooner than later...but what camera.730 is NG as no progressive,the 750 is good for just UK market,but limited to 50i/25p.Which only leaves the F900R,which is all bells and whistles but big price tag... and tape..which has to be on the way out..but how quick.Pana has the HDX900 which is a great camera but less excepted in the UK..I think...? and you could be up for arguing with every producer who wants to shoot HDCAM,because everyone else does.and again its tape.
I,d much rather buy a XDCAM 2/3 inch,which should tech wise have some future,and a hell of a lot less to worry about maintenance /replacement wise.BUT how long before its becomes a really accepted format???
Ofcourse you could just rent,but that costs money too!

What to do?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 17, 2007 at 11:02:49 am

In the UK the BBC have just announced that their factual department has gone with Panasonic and will be using HDX900'S!

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Mar 17, 2007 at 11:25:57 am

Good news glad to hear it... but for how long I wonder?

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on Mar 17, 2007 at 2:44:17 pm

XDCAM is already an accepted format; it's been around for 4 years not remember. The entire New Zealand broadcast sector has replaced its Beta SP gear with XDCAM and it is already established in many parts of Europe and the USA of course. It is Sony's most popular new format and is selling better than DVCAM did when it was launched. Apparently Sony are only managing to manufacture 10 F350's per day in Japan, but global orders are 5 times this figure, Sony can't make them quick enough. They are setting up new production lines to cope with the demand; it is simply flying now.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Mar 18, 2007 at 12:23:33 pm

Good.I,d be happy if it fast becomes the (main) HD format for doco/corp work.But at a 1/2 inch chip camera I dont think this will happen,but the new 2/3 inch well might.

Return to posts index

High Definator
on Jul 9, 2007 at 8:06:14 pm

Here is the announcement of BBC Factual's commitment to Panasonic's HDX900: http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2007/03/bbc_factual_sel.html#more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]