FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-F70 XDCAM HD disc direct to standard def DVD?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
PDW-F70 XDCAM HD disc direct to standard def DVD?
on Feb 23, 2007 at 1:49:23 am

We shoot XDCAM HD, then edit on Final Cut. We master/archive to the PDW-F70 deck through an AJA Kona box.

Is there a way to make a standard def DVD from the PDW-F70? I want the picture to be 16X9 with letterboxing on the top and bottom. I don't want to stretch the picture nor cut anything off.

What's the cheapest way to do this? Is there a box like a small AJA box that I could use between the PDW-F70 and the standalone DVD burner?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
Re: PDW-F70 XDCAM HD disc direct to standard def DVD?
on Feb 24, 2007 at 12:47:37 am

If you're looking for a simple dub solution from XDCAM deck to DVD recorder deck (this is what you're talking about, yes?)...

You could save some money by seeing if you can find a DVD recorder that allows you to set a 16x9 flag. The analog signal from F70 deck would be anamorphic, recorded to DVD as anamorphic, and then if the recorder sets a 16x9 flag, then the DVD player will letterbox for you. Follow?

I've never owned a stand-alone DVD recorder, so I don't know if any of these devices do this. I would imagine there's one out there that does. Maybe they all do.

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Feb 24, 2007 at 3:08:40 am

Thank you, Nate. We broke down and opened the manual! ...and realized the deck downconverts when you go out composite or firewire. So we made a beautiful 4X3 dub with letterbox at the top and bottom with firewire. Picture's perfect and didn't cut anything off. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Feb 24, 2007 at 5:42:33 am

Aha. The cameras downconvert too, but will not letterbox, only anamorphic and center-cut, so I thought the fact that you needed letterbox was the issue.

New website, new work online:
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]