advice/opinions requested

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
dfleming
advice/opinions requested
on Feb 15, 2007 at 3:15:04 pm

Hi All:

We have demo'ed the Sony XDCAM HD 350 and shortly we will demo the new HPX2000 P2 model. We have both ENG and EFP needs (I'm only concerned with the EFP end). I'm anxious to get some advice/opinions from this group on comparing just these two cameras. I'm also going to post this on the P2 forum. Thanks in advance!

Dave Fleming
WPTZ

P.S. I saw the Cow "news" headline about the P2 being chosen to cover the Iditarod race in Alaska. No doubt that's a black eye for Sony, as they've been delivering those demo DVD's for a year now touting how they shot the Iditarod with the XDCAM HD...

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
Re: advice/opinions requested
on Feb 15, 2007 at 6:56:25 pm

Black eye for Sony? I thought it was a bit weird/dumb for Panasonic to be making a big deal of it when their biggest competitor had done that just last year with their competing tapeless product.

I've had my 350 since Sept and unfortunately had precious few jobs since then (was smoking busy shooting all last summer). I had been happy with the camera...and then I just did 5 days of shooting near the Salton Sea in CA. Lots of blowing sand, lots of becoming one with the camera using it 14 hours a day.

After getting back and getting a good look at my material, I can say I'm even more happy with my purchase decision than I had been previous, and that's saying something. I had an HVX with me for small camera work, and I assumed after downconverted to SD they'd both look pretty similar...but it's clear now that the 350 has a lot more perceived latitude...it's just a much much more refined looking image than you'd guess from such a small jump in chip size.

That and mechanically, the camera held up fine. The dirt and weird temperatures affected me zero.

New website, new work online:
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Feb 17, 2007 at 9:11:33 am

Panasonic's continued aggressive attention to the compresed HD market can only be good for everyone. The recent introduction of the $14,000 HPX500 will surely push Sony a little to accelerate the development their XDCAM format ... 2/3rd inch CCD's an higher bitrates should separate the men from the boys.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Nigel Cooper
on Feb 17, 2007 at 12:08:26 pm

I've owned a HVX200 and have been using an F350 a lot recently. The F350 is head and shoulders above the HVX200 in image quality etc, but this is not a fair comparison as the HVX200 is a consumer camera; not a professional full-size model.

However, the P2 workflow (on any full-size cam too) is a total nightmare from my experience and I personally am pretty sure it won't be around 3 years from now.

XDCAM HD just gets better and better, there are going to be some great things coming up with this format in the very near future.

For me the image quality from the F350 suggest that of a much higher priced camcorder.

I thought long and hard between Sony and various other makers, but I always come back to XDCAM HD, I'm blown away with the F350. For the money it is totally unbeatable.

Oh, you don't need a deck either, use the camera for drag-and-drop type file transfer.

From my (very brief) P2 days, I can also tell you that XDCAM HD .mxf files will ingest into the computer faster than P2 cards will. Sony are soon announcing a USB XDCAM HD disc reader/writer with two read/right heads that will make ingest of files super fast. Each head can read/right at faster than 100Mbps. 65 minutes of HQ HD footage brought into computer in about 5 minutes; cost around $3,000

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Feb 17, 2007 at 3:25:08 pm

We don't know the fine details but in some cases a manufacturer may offer heavy incentives to a production company or rental house to get them to promote or use an emerging product.

In somecase the gear is provided for free as it is considered part of the marketing process.

Shooting in extreme cold weather conditions should not be a great challenge for a robust camcorder but many can be tricked into believing this is something extra special.

FYI I shot non stop in Alaska in -20 F with extreme wind chill for over a month with six BVW-600 betasp camcorders and had none of the camera go down due to weather or moisture problems. It was amazing because none of the camera had protective covers. The lenses however were another story as the motors become sluggish as well as batteries not providing a full load.

I am more interesting in hearing how the media stands up to the cold and if dropping it in snow, water or rain will cause any failures.

Tony Salgado

PS- Sony will have to up the bar now and aim for the first camcorder shoot on the moon next.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 19, 2007 at 6:55:11 am

The P2 card shuffle in the cold weather could be a problem as far as the Iditerod shoot.

This whole format thing is just becoming a nightmare. It used to be that the pros shot BetaSP and we all had total interchangability for tape usage, delivery, whatever. I would consider the XDCAM disc to be extremely reliable, easy to use and easy to store. The long GOP thing is a bump in the road, the P2 is a bigger bump. Tape will be around for years but it certainly has it's share of bumps. When "they" told us in the mid 90s that we'd all soon be shooting on optical discs, we all expected one format that we would all use. We had no idea that it would turn into a huge quagmire of digital confusion.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Feb 19, 2007 at 9:07:05 pm

[Steve Wargo] "The long GOP thing is a bump in the road"

It was barely even a bump in the road on my NLE. I've been successfully editing native HDV/XDCAM for over a year now. Exactly one MPEG decompress cycle, then color/graphics, then uncompressed to HDCAM or whatever. The MPEG never gets recompressed to anything but the HDCAM codec as it goes to tape.

Return to posts index

cow
Steve Wargo
on Feb 20, 2007 at 10:51:44 am

Glad to hear that you're not having problems with your format. I've seen a number of people complain about different issues and the long gop issue is the main one. When you compare the cost of XDCAM discs with P2 cards, XDCAM is the clear winner. AT $25 a pop, you can carry a box of them and not have to spend time downloading footage in the field. Have you had any reliability problems?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Feb 21, 2007 at 3:50:17 am

[Steve Wargo] "Have you had any reliability problems? "

Not so far, but the shooting work has been a little slow for me since I picked it up in Sept.

I've so far been successful in educating one client to the joys of XDCAM HD, a motion graphics house here in L.A. that often has to shoot elements on green. Even though they're doing work for networks, the section of the budget for shooting anything often gets squeezed more than anything else, so XDHD fits in nicely.

Shot elements for a show open 3 weeks ago...guess it's called "Shear Genius" on Bravo. So far they've told me the keys have been fine.

New website, new work online:
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]