FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering Time for HD?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
Rendering Time for HD?
on Feb 8, 2007 at 8:28:19 pm

I need a little help. I'm a bit weak on technical issues.

We shoot a lot of weddings. We have 6 Media 100 8.2.2 suites and a Final Cut suite.

We've always shot with Sony DSRs: 300, 300A, 370, 390 and 400. Sony's line of HD cameras did not include a replacement for the DSR series of cameras. I've been waiting but it doesn't seem they're going to do it. They have their prosumer line of HDV cameras and then you jump to the XDCAM for $16,000+ each.

A few months ago, I bought two F330 XDCAM cameras. The image is astounding and we've produced some gorgeous short HD samples on the Final Cut suite. That system is on a G5 with loads of RAM, yet I was amazed at how long the rendering was for these short seven minute samples.

The idea of cutting a 60-90 minute HD wedding program would seem impossible with this amount of rendering required. I asked my editor if there's a faster way and he said no. Is he right? Is there truly no way to cut and master HD without days of rendering? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
Re: Rendering Time for HD?
on Feb 9, 2007 at 7:31:07 pm

The issue of rendering was discussed in the HD Video forum between December 21,2006 and January 15, 2007.

Link

Return to posts index

Edward G Downie
Re: Rendering Time for HD?
on Feb 10, 2007 at 10:38:25 pm

I think he is asking if there is a hardware solution for his g5 I know FORA has a unit but that is about 20K and it is real time. The Sony XDCamHD is HDV with a higher bit rate for better quality and stability and the fastest new Intel Mac still takes a long time to encode HDV/XDCam to HD DVD. I think there is a solution on the horizone the new DVCProhd P2 2000 that will be out in April will use the new format which is supported by Sony and Panasonic I think it is call "AVCHD" and it is frame base it will record more information and uses up less space and I understaned it is easer to work with. I am hoping that at NAB some one will come up with a real time card, there is a company in Canada who made a real time DV card that you stick in a Mac for regular MPEG2 encoding I hope they will solve this delima with a HDV to DVD card good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]