FORUMS: list search recent posts

does such a camera exist?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paulos
does such a camera exist?
on Feb 7, 2007 at 7:40:50 pm

hey guys

after some collective wisdom on wether a camera exists for the following applications.

We need a production camera HD/SD switchable for doco's, music videos and short form programmes etc but that can also fit into a multicam SD live event situation.

Could we use an XDCAM HD 350 for instance with some adapter to fit into an SD multicam situation? I'm pretty vender agnostic however the other cams for the multicam are Sony's

any advice, ideas thanks

Return to posts index

Dave Anderson - Roscor
Re: does such a camera exist?
on Feb 7, 2007 at 10:03:46 pm

Sony PDWF350 can be used in an SD multi-camera environment but some external conversion gear is likely needed (downconversion, frame syncs depending on the switcher used, etc.). Panasonic HDX900 provides more flexibility in terms of direct outputs on the camera: HD-SDI, SDI and composite, and the downconverted output can be letterboxed, cropped or squeezed (XDCAM HD camcorders permit SD aspect ratio conversion only on disc playback, not on live camera output). When using either camera for multicam, you'll have to deal with video out, return video, genlock, audio, time code, intercom, power, timing into a switcher, etc.

Several of my clients use HDWF900s in multicam configuration with the Evertz ECAS fiber system; one of them recently added a significant number of PDWF350 and another has added Panasonic. The Evertz system is great because it takes all of the video, audio, intercom, time code, genlock, control and power cables that typically run to and from a camcorder and puts them on a single fiber cable to a base station. Not cheap, but clean, reliable, and simple.

Feel free to contact me if I can provide any additional information.

Regards.

Dave Anderson
Digital Cinematography Manager
Roscor Corporation
http://www.roscor.com
(P) 847-299-8080 Ext. 1354

Return to posts index

paulos
on Feb 9, 2007 at 1:28:01 pm

thanks dave,

i will drop you a line

Return to posts index

Edward G Downie
on Feb 10, 2007 at 11:07:27 pm

Yes such a camera exist, not the XDcam or the HDX900 those are hd camera which records in HD only but output in SD/HD format if you add a SD recorder. All the DVCProHD camera which uses the P2 recording format will allow you to record in HD when you need HD and SD when you need SD inside the unit and include the smallest one the 200 go to the Panosonic website and get youself the right information.

For multicamera none of those camera above can be use for music video ect. ect. and then use then controlable by ccu and and a piggy back adaptor. The JVC HD250 can be use that way they have a ccu set up for that camera that camera also record both in HDV and DV. The HDCam series has ccu and a piggy back adepter which work that way but HDcam is the big dog "WOF WOF" they don't record SD but HDcam is ideal to record music video when you can't afford film and don't forget for music video you need the Fostex PD2, PD4, or PD6 or a Nagra to jamsynk and timecode the audio to the video good luck.

Return to posts index

Jim Hurwitz
on Mar 28, 2007 at 8:46:57 pm

Paulos,

To

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]