XDCAM HD over/undercrank question and Avid Media Composer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Michael Sheehe
XDCAM HD over/undercrank question and Avid Media Composer
on Jan 19, 2007 at 2:15:15 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions about the XDCAM format.

1) Overcrank and Undercrank: Does the camera actually record at the FPS you set 4FPS = 4FPS recorded 60FPS = 60FPS recorded? I have heard conflicting reports that the camera constantly records in 24FPS and the edit system actually does the slow or fast motion. Any help with this question would be appreciated.

2) Editing XDCAM HD with an Avid Media Composer: Does anyone have a workflow that they have used to do this? Will ovecranked and undercranked footage play corrctly? I've been able to import the full-res files, but, cannot open the proxy files, are they needed or are they only really used for an offline edit? One workflow I've heard is to take the footage into a final cut pro system and transcode it out in the DNX ccodec. Is that the only solution or is there a more streamlined way?

I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

rstnce
Re: XDCAM HD over/undercrank question and Avid Media Composer
on Nov 6, 2007 at 8:57:57 am

Hi Michael,

Realise you asked this question a while ago. I am currently running a project on XDCAM and cutting on an adrenaline. 1080i/50.

I have found there is little to no use for the proxy files as they look and sound terrible. I have therefore been importing the full res MXF files, editing with them at half resolution, and then transcoding the sequence to DNX185hd for the online. I have tried to import the variable frame rate footage into an interalaced project, but with no joy. I am however hoping that I can capture it using HDSDI out from the camera when it returns from a shoot.

Did you have any luck with this problem?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]