FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone using Betacam SP and XDCAM HD on the same FCP system?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Allison
Anyone using Betacam SP and XDCAM HD on the same FCP system?
on Dec 12, 2006 at 7:01:30 pm

We presently shoot all of our SD video on Betacam SP. Now we are looking to to take the plunge into HD, and XDCAM HD looks to be the format that best meets our needs.

However, during the transition period between SD and HD, we foresee the need to keep our Beta decks hooked up to the Final Cut system, and probably even up-converting some Betacam footage from our tape library into our HD productions.

Any suggestions on how to configure the FCP system? Right now, we are using a Kona LS card, which is SD only, so that card will have to go. But I would love to hear some thoughts on other Kona cards, like the Kona LH or the Kona 3. Both have strengths and weaknesses for our potential use. The Kona LH hass all of the right connections, but it cannot up-convert our Beta video to the XDCAM codec. Meanwhile the Kona 3 does not offer analog component inputs, nor analog audio outputs for when we go back to Betacam tape, but it will do all of the up/down/cross conversions we may need.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Chaos Wrangler
Re: Anyone using Betacam SP and XDCAM HD on the same FCP system?
on Apr 9, 2007 at 7:04:59 pm

Possibilities, I am shooting from the hip so take it as it is.
first will 2 different Kona cards work in the same machine? (this would be the easiest solution)
Find a cheap bare minimum Mac to put your LS card in and use it to capture beta then you just have to transfer files.
Add a Component to SDI converter to your Beta SP (alot more expensive)
Check out what Blackmagic Design has to offer (Multibridge) but I do not know if it will do a high quality upconvert.
Hope this opened some opportunities.

Drew

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: Anyone using Betacam SP and XDCAM HD on the same FCP system?
on Apr 10, 2007 at 8:15:03 am

the LH has all the right connections ... and you don't necessarily need to upconvert to the XDCAM HD codec.
you could use it to upconvert to an alternate HD codec such as DVCPRO HD (saving yourself a potential world of MPEG editing trouble along the way)
with that setup you would also input your XDCAM HD to the FCP edit system as DVCPRO HD via HD-SDI

i assume, if you are entering the HD world, then you are mastering to HD.
as most HD decks can downconvert to SD, for delivery you can output the HD masters as required (including going back to XDCAM HD via HD-SDI) and make then your SD masters, if required, by dubbing from the hardware downconverted output of your HD deck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]