FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM HD to 35mm?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Davies
XDCAM HD to 35mm?
on Nov 27, 2006 at 12:11:15 pm

Hi folks,

I'm in discussion with a long time film director about shooting a movie in HD and he's nervous about "film quality".

This film is a retrospective piece with an actor reminiscing about their life. About 25% will be an interview in a studio setting with the rest being reconstructions on location.

As the budget is limited and he wants to keep to a small crew (10), my current thinking is to shoot the interview section with HDCAM and the other scenes with XDCAM HD.

The finished film will be destined mainly for digital projection, but he also wants to do a 35mm print for Festivals and anyone that can

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: XDCAM HD to 35mm?
on Nov 29, 2006 at 7:38:35 am

He wants to spend the big bucks to go with a 35mm print just to go to festivals? Festivals are quickly going to HDCAM and other media. The true cost of the transfer and a professional person's time is around 40 to 50 thousand dollars. In the next year or two, BluRay will be the way to go. Write that down.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Thomas
Re: XDCAM HD to 35mm?
on Dec 4, 2006 at 1:56:02 am

Why the switch to XD cam HD. Why not stay in 24P HD Cam the whole time. Is this a budget issue? Usually you get a better deal on one camera for several weeks at once. My understanding of XCCamHD is limited but I believe it is even more compressed than HD CAm. We have shot several projects where the interiors were done in HDCam and exteriors in Film. The results telecined together very nicely. Perhaps if the B roll isn't that extensive you could shoot it in film at a low ration using a cheaper mos camera which you could have over a longer time for less money to offset filmstock/transfer costs. In a sitdown show intending to go to 35mm or big screen it may be advantageous to look at some of the new direct to disk HD systems, as you will be in protected enviroments.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]