FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATTN: XDCam-Guy RE: XDCAM Transfer w/o FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Proper Modulation
ATTN: XDCam-Guy RE: XDCAM Transfer w/o FCP
on Nov 7, 2006 at 11:18:53 pm

Hey man-

I responded to a post of yours below where you told someone that they could use the Transfer Software to view proxies "without" FCP.

"You don't need FCP installed to work with the proxies, just to import the full quality."

So, I tried this and it didn't work. In what capacity have you done this? The Transfer Software tells us that it needs the video codecs from FCP before it will allow it to function. Sure enough, it imported the metadata of our clips, but not the picture.

I'm curious to hear your workaround as it would be GREAT to be able to view proxies on a mac w/o buying more FCP's.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
Re: ATTN: XDCam-Guy RE: XDCAM Transfer w/o FCP
on Nov 7, 2006 at 11:25:47 pm

You COULD just copy over the XDCAM HD codecs from the FCP machines. I'm sure it's a violation of the license somehow, but...psst, I speed sometimes too.

The codec, afaik for ALL the XDCAM HD stuff is all wrapped up into one file, AppleHDVCOdec.component in /Library/Quicktime. I've copied it to other machines with sucess, notably so some After Effects people could work with native HDV captured in FCP.

Return to posts index

Proper Modulation
Nice..
on Nov 7, 2006 at 11:47:49 pm

I will try this tomorrow Nate.

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
RE: XDCAM Transfer w/o FCP
on Nov 8, 2006 at 8:05:06 am

Just tried installing XDCAM Transfer V1.1 on a shiny new Mac Pro straight out of the box.

Sure enough you do get the "Pro Codecs Required" warning message when the software starts up, but I can see thumbnail pictures, metadata and proxies for all clips. My HD clips have the little NO CODEC overlay on the thumbnail and those clips can't be imported but I can play the proxies just fine.

Are you directly connecting an XDCAM camcorder or deck to your Mac, or have you just got individual MXF files on a hard disk? XDCAM Transfer doesn't show proxies if you've only got the full-quality files around.

Someone else on the list reported that you sometimes you don't see proxies and/or thumbnails if you've got the sucky DivX MPEG-4 component installed. If you've got that, try uninstalling it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]