FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDcam proxies on a Mac

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lacey
XDcam proxies on a Mac
on Nov 7, 2006 at 10:37:18 am

Totally new to the XDcam workflow some advice please.

I've got a shoot next week (F350) and would really like the producer, a Machead, to take away the relevant proxy files for a quick and dirty log/offline.

Can you tell me if this is possible on the Mac and if so what software I'll need to download and install on his machine to be able to do this meaningfully with TC. I'm just about getting my head around the PDZ stuff on windows.

Thanks for all advice

Alan in PALland

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
Re: XDcam proxies on a Mac
on Nov 7, 2006 at 1:58:36 pm

You might want to try downloading XDCAM Transfer Version 1.1 from the http://www.sonybiz.net/xdcam site. XDCAM Transfer allows you to browse the proxies, and also export them as QuickTime movies that you can then view in QT Player anywhere. You don't need FCP installed to work with the proxies, just to import the full quality.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Nov 7, 2006 at 2:15:49 pm

Thanks XDcam-guy I'll give it a go.

Any ideas how to handle the TC?

Alan

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
on Nov 7, 2006 at 5:21:48 pm

I'm not sure if I've understood exactly what you need.

XDCAM Transfer does show the timecode with the proxy. This is the same timecode you'd see on the camcorder or XDCAM deck, and the same as you'd get when you import the full-quality.

There's no doubt that's the easy part! :-)
What other functions are you looking for?

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Nov 7, 2006 at 5:34:38 pm

Ah I hadn't realised it was that easy. I thought he'd have to view in QT player and loose the TC.

Thanks

Alan

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
on Nov 7, 2006 at 6:22:15 pm

If you connect your XDCAM directly to the Mac and fire up the XDCAM Transfer software, it will slurp all the proxies and clip info in the background while your producer starts to review the material.

I'd just recommend having a play with the software and seeing if it can work in a way that works for you.

P.S. Yes it is odd that QuickTime Player doesn't display timecode. Strange.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Nov 7, 2006 at 9:13:22 pm

Thanks Ideal

Alan

Return to posts index

Proper Modulation
on Nov 7, 2006 at 10:50:40 pm

Just to clarify....

We have wondered the same thing at our facility as we need a Mac proxy viewer for our producers. Exporting a QT in the Transfer software will not transfer timecode with it, rendering kind of a useless function as far as spotting and pre-production goes in my opinion.

We will however try and and set up the transfer software on a mac without FCP to see if it we can use it as a standalone viewer.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Nov 7, 2006 at 11:10:55 pm

Actually, when I played with the exported proxies from the new transfer software, the timecode WAS there. You just have to open those exported Quicktimes in FCP to view it.

Return to posts index

Proper Modulation
on Nov 7, 2006 at 11:14:26 pm

Hey Nate..

Thanks for responding...we are seeking a solution for a producers who won't have FCP at their workstations. I just made a new thread on the top of the board...check it out and let me know what you think.

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
on Nov 8, 2006 at 8:09:08 am

Nate, you're right.

If you've got QuickTime Pro installed, open up the exported QuickTime movie in QuickTime Player and do Show Movie Properties. There's a Timecode Track! Now why doesn't QuickTime Player have an option to show it??

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Nov 8, 2006 at 11:39:34 pm

Because they're dummyheads.

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
on May 3, 2007 at 7:51:26 am

Dummyheads no longer -

QuickTime 7.1.6 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime716formac.html) adds support for:

- Timecode and closed captioning display in QuickTime Player

And it works with the XDCAM Transfer proxies (and full-quality movies).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]